• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krucam

Ultimate Member
    A summary of the Amendments added in the Senate tha now require House approval
    https://kfyo.com/dont-celebrate-con...lEmA52Iu1qfsjjIbvMpgWY6CD1UFXgERbBR6ghGA1RIlY

Prohibit the carrying of a handgun while intoxicated;
    Removes the oral notice provision that was included in the House version which would not have penalized individuals for carrying in prohibited areas unless they refuse to leave after being told the carry policy;
    Require the Department of Public Safety to create a free online firearm safety training course;
    Increase the criminal penalties for felons and those convicted of family violence offense who illegally carry a handgun;
    Expand the list of those who may not carry a handgun to include individuals who were convicted in the past five years for a terrorist threat, deadly conduct, assault causing bodily injury, or disorderly conduct with a firearm from carrying without a permit under the bill;
    And remove sections added on the House floor by Democrats to prohibit peace officers from stopping individuals solely based on the carrying of a firearm and a requirement to expunge certain criminal records.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    TX Gun Owners Association (GOA) is stating a poison pill came out of the Senate Bill as Amended, saying it will break "House Rules".

They say this while NOT saying what Amendment is the problem, and WHAT House Rule is broken by it.

Rachel Malone is the Director for Texas GOA, fyi..

https://www.facebook.com/rachel.malone.TX/posts/2892890464293020

Rachel is joined in her concerns by the author of the House bill, Texas Representative Matt Schaefer. Things are being played close to the vest to avoid tipping off a game plan to the antis (Yes, there is an active infestation of that sort even in Texas.)

Action plan at this time is for an unending stream of calls, emails, letters, and office visits to the Senate members and to Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick. Patrick was warned about the Senate amendments causing trouble on the bill's return to the House but chose to push them forward anyway. The Senate is basically being told, "You broke it. You fix it."

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    From a trusted source - it appears to be going to a conference committee, to which the Senate does not appear willing to participate.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    It’s a last minute reprieve but a conference committee looks to be our best hope. Heading back to Austin after I finish my coffee to hand deliver a letter to each Senator’s office asking/telling them to get it done. Have a special missive ready for Lt. Dan, playing to his vanity and hubris.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    From a trusted source - it appears to be going to a conference committee, to which the Senate does not appear willing to participate.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It’s a last minute reprieve but a conference committee looks to be our best hope. Heading back to Austin after I finish my coffee to hand deliver a letter to each Senator’s office asking/telling them to get it done. Have a special missive ready for Lt. Dan, playing to his vanity and hubris.

Conference Committee makeup will be 5 from the House (chosen by Phelan, friendly) and 5 from the Senate (chosen by LtGov Dan Patrick, iffy).

We will know Dan Patricks true colors by the makeup of the Senate portion of the Conference Committee.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    House Conferees: Appointed (05/12/2021) Schaefer (Chair) | Burrows | Canales | Guillen | White
    Senate Conferees: Appointed (05/13/2021) Schwertner (Chair) | Birdwell | Campbell | Creighton | Hughes

https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=87R&Bill=HB1927

Schwertner and Birdwell brought up all the added amendments.
    Campbell is "just fine" with the amendments which damn near killed the bill in the House.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    The good side of the Senate choices is that Nelson and Huffman, the two biggest (R) squishes when it comes to actually standing up for gun rights, did not get on the committee. The bad news is the two strongest fighters for 2A also did not get on the committee. Time to give my Sheriff a call to set a meeting and convince him to get CLEAT and the Sheriffs Association to back off from their demands to retain the amendments.

krucam

Ultimate Member

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210513-181041_Twitter.jpg
      Screenshot_20210513-181041_Twitter.jpg
      88.9 KB · Views: 267

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    And a bit premature, as it still needs to be voted on in both chambers, but very positive statement from Senator Charles Schwertner, chair of the Senate side of the conference committee:

"Texas has fulfilled the promise of our founding documents by finally restoring the right of law-abiding Texans to carry a handgun without a license for the defense of themselves and their loved ones. I’m thankful the Senate and House were able to come together to pass the best Constitutional Carry law in the United States.

I want to thank Representative Matt Schaefer, Lt. Governor Dan Patrick, Speaker Dade Phelan, and the countless citizens who helped us get Constitutional Carry to Governor Abbott’s desk."

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    And Lt. Dan chimes in:

"AUSTIN – Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick issued this statement today announcing that a full agreement has been reached on House Bill 1927:

“I congratulate Rep. Matt Schaefer, R-Tyler, and Sen. Charles Schwertner, R-Georgetown, for reaching a full agreement on Constitutional Carry – HB 1927. This legislation restores our Second Amendment rights and upholds every Texan’s right to self-defense. HB 1927 is a historic bill and a national model. It includes the thinking of national gun rights advocates and many in Texas law enforcement and affirms our commitment to protect the rights of gun owners and the safety of those in law enforcement.

“As a longtime Second Amendment advocate and NRA member with a strong NRA voting record, I am especially proud of HB 1927. I have worked hard alongside Sen. Schwertner to deliver the votes needed on HB 1927. The bill will become eligible for a final vote early next week, and on that day we will celebrate this great Second Amendment victory.

“Those who said HB 1927 would never pass and who perpetuated stories of a ‘poison pill’ and other conspiracies willfully misled many Second Amendment supporters in Texas. They also underestimated how hard members of the House and Senate were working to pass this bill.

“Once again, I want to thank Rep. Schaefer for his leadership and vision on HB 1927 and Sen. Schwertner for his diligence and commitment to making this legislation a reality. I look forward to celebrating with them when this bill is finally passed next week. “

https://www.ltgov.texas.gov/2021/05/21/lt-gov-dan-patrick-announcement-of-hb-1927-agreement/

Of course, Lt. Dan was one of those saying there weren't enough votes in the Senate. It was also the amendments he was pushing which were the poison pills he now denies existed. Now that it's almost a done deal, he's first to jump the line for credit.

Last edited:

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    So what are the highlights of the final bill?

Residents and non-residents?
    Age limit?
    Any particular spaces where a permit is still required?

krucam

Ultimate Member

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom