• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    Saw another dead deer on I-29 today. Couldn't tell if it was a buck or not but it looks like deer are moving around here. It got warm again though.

My wife got her first deer Monday morning...

Fortunately it was just a small doe... Dented and scraped up the side as well as frontal damage. Insurance estimate is $3200. This was in Ohio, but just a friendly PSA; the rut is coming and crops are going so keep your eyes peeled.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    My wife got her first deer Monday morning...

Fortunately it was just a small doe... Dented and scraped up the side as well as frontal damage. Insurance estimate is $3200. This was in Ohio, but just a friendly PSA; the rut is coming and crops are going so keep your eyes peeled.
    Yeah, I almost got a very nice, wide racked buck on Burns Crossing Road near the Annapolis Christian School in Severn.....
    My Dodge Ram 2500 thanked me for not taking the shot!!!

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I'd like to thank the combine crew for timing the harvest of a nearby field with me climbing into position on muzzle loader friday. They booted out all the deer out at just the right time. Already have a taxidermy bill this year so im not that picky. His body was good enough for my freezer. The antlers will serve as a chew toy for Gut Pup. Total hunt time was about 25 minutes. He was almost 140 guts out so chunky for his age.
    UTPz4bR.jpg
    JK06rYF.jpg
    Ty3AHrO.jpg
    Nice job! And it didnt even have a saddle on it

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Button buck has been rooting around in the corn and woods for the last 20-30 minutes. He watched me get up the tree I am in. If I didn’t want him to grow big and come back next year or the year after I’d shoot him just for being cheeky.

Well that and my wife might tell me no more hunting and I’ve got Veterans Day plans to be in a stand all day.

Attachments

• 05F9CB19-2869-4D6A-9631-3F2C6457FFE5.jpg
      05F9CB19-2869-4D6A-9631-3F2C6457FFE5.jpg
      121.4 KB · Views: 310

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Also interesting the difference in optics. My shitty range finder that is 6x from 20yds can barely make out his buttons. The only slightly nicer 4x scope on my cross bow can also make out his buttons barely at the same distance.

My really nice Bushnell 8x binocs I can count hairs around the base of his buttons and tell they are about 1” long (the buttons).

And it isn’t down to the magnification being better...

Also all I can think of with this little dude is, “where is your father?!? I need a word with him!”

He is pretty big for a button.

on_the_rox

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2009
    Whiteford, MD
    Yeah, first evening out this season. Had 4 around me at one point, all youngins. Big momma kept her distance and daddy never showed. I gave them a pass, for now.

Attachments

• IMG_20191019_175701167.jpg
      IMG_20191019_175701167.jpg
      68.3 KB · Views: 297

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Wildlife was mocking me this weekend. Took yesterday off to hunt. Had ducks fly off the pond when I went out for deer yesterday morning. Only geese showed up when I switched into duck mode mid-day. Ducks showed back up while I was out for deer in the evening. Field and pond both empty when I went out for deer this morning. Had other things to do today so didn't get back out. Went to pick up pizza at 6:20 and a doe was 20' away from my suv...

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Congrats to everyone that was successful. I was out Friday morning and only a few small doe. Decided to shoot last fclass match of the year today and of course the wife texts me at 745am, decent 8 point walked 20 yards from the blind this morning. I cant ever win lol

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Taking my 11yo out tomorrow morning for my first try after getting out of the shoulder sling after surgery (my wife, parents, and some hunting buddies keep telling me I’m going to F it up - wish me luck not to prove them right). Sticking to a ground blind we brushed in this morning, I’m not a fan of ground blinds.... but, last year’s venison was used up from the freezer two days ago, need to restock!

aht2131

Aug 5, 2011
    Muzzleloader opener conditions was great this year. The rain the day before and 20+ mph winds made it a breeze to get around.

VmjfL1j.jpg

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hunted all morning Friday, only saw a doe and two yearlings. Didnt hunt this morning. Walk out to feed the horses and chickens and jumped a buck right on the back of the field. Guess that's just how it goes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    My nephew ( ex marine ) got this great stag in Dorchester Maple Dam Road yesterday.

Nice one! They're getting heavier and with more mass every year. I seen a picture of a heavy one killed near Vienna with a lot of mass like that. It was real tall like the ones you see that come from the game farms.

Yesterday morning in Mardela Springs I seen a guy with an absolute whopper WT buck on a hitch hauler. I got caught at the light heading to Sharptown and couldn't catch up to get a better look. He was gone up the road by the time I got through. He was way up the road by then probably heading to the taxidermist lol.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Nice one! They're getting heavier and with more mass every year. I seen a picture of a heavy one killed near Vienna with a lot of mass like that. It was real tall like the ones you see that come from the game farms.

Yesterday morning in Mardela Springs I seen a guy with an absolute whopper WT buck on a hitch hauler. I got caught at the light heading to Sharptown and couldn't catch up to get a better look. He was gone up the road by the time I got through. He was way up the road by then probably heading to the taxidermist lol.

Saw same thing late morning heading west over the bay bridge, looked like a big boy he had.

My son and I made it out our first time this year, but aside from the does we bumped getting into and out of the woods, didn’t see anything except two turkeys that waddled within stabbing distance.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I'm having no luck at all. I see deer in the woods, but none come by. And the land I'm on, my buddy only let's me use a bow.

I'll be trying to find a lease on a farm nearby for next season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom