Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Shotguns
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old January 15th, 2020, 09:22 AM #11

My son turned 9 in Dec. I got him a Savage Steven 301 single shot compact 410. He LOVES it. He can lift and hold it on his own. She has a good POP to it in recoil.
He is 105 lbs, I think 4' 6"

He has 7 or 8 deer under his belt over the past three years. All with youth crossbow from ground bling with tri pod full rest. X-bow sits there and he walks up and aims-pulls trigger. Or from Down loaded BP that I HACKED the stock off till it fit. He sets it on the rail of wooden blind and can shoot that way. He can't hold anything up on his own yet till I got him that 301.

10/22 or MK4 ultra light pistol would serve him better for a few years.

I am in St. Marys if you want to have him try out the 301. I also have a Mossberg 410 pump and 870 410 pump. I think a youth 870 20 ga also he/you can try
Hunterjjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2020, 09:27 AM #12

I work with a lot of Boy Scouts on the range. The smaller ones can not handle the size or kick of a 20 ga. I agree with danB, it can scar him for a long time. IF anything, a single shot 410. I don't how big your child is, but be careful not to scare him. I have seen it many times. This is with kids that start at age 10. If the boy is hesitant, do not force it. I was at a range in Dec with 60 kids. There were several that at first did not want to shoot. One or two came back later and tried.
My own kids were shooting since they were 7 or 8 with 22's, I did not move them up to hard thumpers until I thought they were ready. By the time my youngest daughter was 12, she was shooting a 308 bolt. It took watching her older brother (14) ringing steel at 200 to get her to try.
Again, what ever you do, don't force it. He will come around when he ready.
sundazes is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Shotguns