• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Just home from Atlantic Guns, with a Happy Not Disapproved email from MSP.

A Webley Mark V, only made for a couple years 1913-1915. Something like 23,000 total, of which the commercial version was made in a narrow SN range, with the total commercial production around 2,000. Most of the commercials were bought by Brit officers heading for the battlefields, and I'm told their names were often engraved on the backstraps.

This one has no such inscription, and looks to be possibly unfired. I jumped on it the minute I saw it, but had no idea of how rare a bird it was until the shop researched it.

Attachments

• W3.jpg
      W3.jpg
      99.7 KB · Views: 465
    • W2.jpg
      W2.jpg
      45.9 KB · Views: 468
    • W1.jpg
      W1.jpg
      43.3 KB · Views: 437

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    Wow. Looks like it just popped out the factory. That's beautiful. Caliber?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Wow. Looks like it just popped out the factory. That's beautiful. Caliber?

.455 - I was delighted to see that the cylinder had not been "shaved" to accommodate 45acp.

The lightening grooves in the cylinder each have a proof stamp too. The Brits proof every chamber.

You might notice the broad arrow on what I think is the cam lever lock screw, third pic bottom left. It's the only broad arrow mark on the piece. I assume it was pulled from a pile-o-parts for the military pistols; I haven't seen another commercial Mk V so I don't know if all these are broad-arrow marked.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    MK Vs are rare, indeed commercial version even more so. The grips are interesting as all the MK Vs I've seen have "bird's head" shaped grips. They look more like MK VI shaped grips but I'm not sure that std MK VI grips will fit the MK V frame. They look to be custom, very attractive.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    MK Vs are rare, indeed commercial version even more so. The grips are interesting as all the MK Vs I've seen have "bird's head" shaped grips. They look more like MK VI shaped grips but I'm not sure that std MK VI grips will fit the MK V frame. They look to be custom, very attractive.

Actually, the grips birdhead shape is what drew my attention to the revolver immediately. I'll post a better photo below.

I've seen a few different grip checkering patterns, both in wood and in whatever the more
    "plastic"-appearing grips may be composed of. It's entirely possible that the grips shown are aftermarket, but given the condition of the piece I'd tend to believe they were either original to the pistol, or added near the time of manufacture, but I'm just going on appearances and speculation. I see no reason to have replaced what would have been new-looking original grips with the ones on the pistol today, unless the early owner preferred wood at the time of purchase. (I'd have to agree with his taste in the matter, myself.)

Regarding rarity, it seems they may be more scarce than I thought. My original info regarding the serial numbers for commercial examples was in the range of 2000 pistols; according to the Imperial War Museum, this range was not limited to the Mark V. Below is a quote from their site, describing a revolver contemporary with mine:

This is one of an 'aberrant' group of revolvers assembled from miscellaneous parts in the factory for private commercial sale to officers. It has, despite its markings, a Mark I frame and grips, a 'WG' style of cylinder latch and incorporates a military hammer. These arms fall within the serial number range 134000-135999, reserved in August 1914 for commercial revolvers (WS, Mark V and Mark VI).

Attachments

• Webley grips.jpg
      Webley grips.jpg
      41.8 KB · Views: 303

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Congrats! Should go well with the Mk. III Pocket Model I sold you

Yes, they snuggle in the safe. I'm hoping they're like coat hangers, multiplying in the darkness.

That Mk III is sweet, too. Now that I'm outed, I'll prolly have to post up a pic of the two of them.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    And here's the pair, as promised. No sign of any hanky-panky , but they haven't been around each other for long. I'm hoping that propinquity will have an effect. I have no idea what the gestation period is for these critters, we'll just have to wait and see.

Attachments

• Webley pair.jpg
      Webley pair.jpg
      53.9 KB · Views: 283

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Thats a very nice Webley. Mark V is one of the best still has the Boer war vibe but is suitable for smokeless powder.

I have one but its service issued but luckily in .455.

Nice score!

Hansum

Feb 14, 2019
    Amazing condition and a handsome piece of history. Congrats.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Looks like it spent some time in Israel. Is the cylinder shaved?

I'm not clear on the six-pointed star. Hard to say what history the pistol has lived through, but whatever it may have been, it is far to clean to have spent much time in service. I bet someone here knows about that marking?

Cylinder is just as Webley made it. No shave, no haircut.

Thanks to all those who have been complimentary. I feel fortunate to have the opportunity to act as its caretaker for a while.

It's so clean I'm now looking for a Mark VI uncut in .455 - it's almost a shame to shoot a 105 year old gun as clean as this one, but I did buy a bunch of 455 ammo while I was waiting for the gun to get out of MSP jail, so something must be done!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom