• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Auckland

Get On My Horse
    Apr 6, 2008
    The Dena
    Since Utah gives out permits and MD does not. I would say yes. Include everything to verify you are a citizen.

fxdunigan

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 7, 2012
    Southern MD
    Give MARI in Annapolis a call, great attitude and very smooth operation. Went there yesterday in and out in 10-15 minutes.

MARI
    1202 West Street
    Annapolis

Edit: forgot to add: scan, photos and notary for $64.25

Heard lots of good comments on this forum about them. Checked their site and called the number too. Looks like they are open only 1st and 3rd Saturdays of each month. This is the 2nd Sat.

But I did find Grand Mission in Hyattsville has Sat. Livescan fingerprinting hours on their website and on their recorded voice greeting 10a - 1:30p. No appointment necessary. I called to try to confirm but couldn't reach a live person. Their site also says they have notary services.
    Office: 1 - 301 - 429 - 0525
    www.monadikosonline.com/gmc/html/fingerprinting.html

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    But I did find Grand Mission in Hyattsville has Sat. Livescan fingerprinting hours on their website and on their recorded voice greeting 10a - 1:30p. No appointment necessary. I called to try to confirm but couldn't reach a live person. Their site also says they have notary services.
    Office: 1 - 301 - 429 - 0525
    www.monadikosonline.com/gmc/html/fingerprinting.html

This is where I went (grand mission)...it was painless and quick. The only caveat is that if you are doing your photos there, tell them you don't need the blue background. (MSP calls for a white background for the photo).

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    I've never had to provide any medical records for my MD permit.

Thanks for your reply. Appreciated! I assumed that was after giving them a "yes" to one of the questions. I did the same, but mine occurred 25 to 37 years ago, so records would likely be unavailable, if any.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Curios...FL will only accept live scan from within state. Is MD the same? Would a Live Scan location in PA be "authorized"?

I can get ink prints done for free...but if I can't get the card that doesn't help me much.

I live in WV and I'm doing Livescan in MD. I don't know why that wouldn't be acceptable. If not, please chime in.

fxdunigan

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 7, 2012
    Southern MD
    This is where I went (grand mission)...it was painless and quick. The only caveat is that if you are doing your photos there, tell them you don't need the blue background. (MSP calls for a white background for the photo).

Update: I used the contact form on their website asking for confirmation that they are open today and got a call back from the owner within the hour. Nice guy! He was headed to the office. If anybody's interested today, suggest using the contact form as I did. Sounded like he'd be there after thier normally posted hours.

Nov 13, 2011
    Bethesda, MD
    I've read in numerous posts that MSI and Delegate Smigiel would like us to contact them so the could follow our apps (to make sure the state isn't doing anything shady).

Where is that request? What should we include and where should it be sent.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    I'm surprised that a driver's license and basic pistol course certificate aren't required with application.

fxdunigan

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 7, 2012
    Southern MD

I live in WV and I'm doing Livescan in MD. I don't know why that wouldn't be acceptable. If not, please chime in.

My opinion is having your Livescan done in Maryland is the best choice.

I did a bunch of reading. The Livescan process and technology is used everywhere, and the FBI requirements are what forced Maryand to stop accepting ink prints as of March 1st.

For the purpose of this thread, the State of Maryland is doing the background check and they want their fees. The MDSP uses the MD CJIS and referrs us to the fingerprinting rules on the DPSC website. So it makes sense to me the provider should be authorized by them. The authorization process is detailed in a long winded document on the DPSCS website http://www.dpscs.state.md.us/ No, I did not read this entire 11 page PDF, but you're welcome to here: COMAR Regulation 12.15.05

The DPSCS site does say "you may choose to have your fingerprints taken at another agency" (other than the CJIS) but I'd make absolutely certain any Livescan provider outside of MD will be accepted before submitting your application to the MDSP.

fxdunigan

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 7, 2012
    Southern MD
    If you huys are doing livescan on a Sat, doesnt that cut it close for the 72 hour window the MSP demands.

This is a very good point to be aware of, but I think it easily covered by the "postmark wording" on the MDSP site. The application can be postmarked and sent today. It doesn't say they have to receive the application within 72 hours.

But that PDF on the MDSP site contains a lot of critical details about the process and timing of fingerprints, applications and the non-refundable fee. Suggest everyone read it before completing any part of the process.

Last edited:

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    MightyWarMonger said:
    I have a question, on page 7 were it asks if you have ever been arrested, charged, or convicted of a crime do you still need to mark yes if it has been expunged? I tried calling MDSP Firearms division about this a few times but they don't answer the phone and they are not returning calls go figure :rolleyes:

I answered truthfully, filled out my explanation, and attached all expungement paperwork for documentation. They can't use anything expunged against you that wasn't a conviction (mine was a charge with a Not Guilty finding at trial).

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    MightyWarMonger said:
    It's been so long I neither have the disposition or the expungment order nor can I recall what happened with 2 of the minor in possession of alcohol I believe they were null pros and I don't remember much about the incidents it was over 15yrs ago.

I'd say write what you just said. While IANAL I don't believe it's your responsibility to keep that paperwork, it's theirs to comply with the Judge's order of expungement.

I did receive letters from MDSP, County PD, SA office, & the clerks office stating that they had complied with the expungement order but I didn't think of them as important and tossed them. I know I can pass the background check as I already have a MD permit for work but it's so restricted I can't use it. That also brings me to another question my current permit "for work only" expires in Oct so my application would be for a new permit right?

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    MightyWarMonger said:
    I did receive letters from MDSP, County PD, SA office, & the clerks office stating that they had complied with the expungement order but I didn't think of them as important and tossed them. I know I can pass the background check as I already have a MD permit for work but it's so restricted I can't use it. That also brings me to another question my current permit "for work only" expires in Oct so my application would be for a new permit right?

If you already have a work permit, how did you answer on that app? If you answer differently regarding something prior to the original permit that could be an issue they likely would notice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom