• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    Arg. When I wanted to get a centerfire pistol, I did some research, found my price range, and picked what I liked the most. Same thing with a centerfire rifle!

So why is it, that when I try to think of what 22 pistol I want, I want to tear my hair out?

Ruger 22/45 and buckmark are both fantastic, similar in price and performance, and I really like both, so no good there.

Then there are the "tacticool" ones, the mosquito, the issc m22, the gsg 1911, and now the chiappa m9 clone? prices are just about within $100, and all have been known to be picky. So once again, impossible to choose here.

And then revolvers. I kinda want a rough rider, purely because of cost and reliability, even though I'm not a huge fan of single actions. So there's the taurus 990, which is double action, looks good, and wont break the bank. But I hear problems with timing and lock-up with these. Then we have the s&w 617, and the 22 version of the gp-100/101(can't remember which). Both of those look fantastic, have great reputations, and are double scion. Unfortunately, funds right now can't justify spending $600+ on a pistol that I'm buying so I can save money by shooting 22.

This is darned annoying right now... I can't choose...

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    just look at it this way.. what are you going to use it for? target shooting or plinking?

target.. i go w/ the ruger or buckmark both good for accuracy and lots of parts that can custom them.... but plinking.. any semi auto 22lr will do.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Yeah, that too, that one also doesn't help at all, thanks.

My want/needs list seems to constantly change the closer I get saving up some gun money the more my mind starts to wonder.

Was saving for a .22 handgun and finishing up some of my other gun projects. Gun projects got completed (for the most part) and now for whatever reason I want a Glock 9mm.

The .22 will have to wait.

The next large purchase keeps going back and fourth between a nice gun safe, AR, or Arsenal AK....the hard part is getting the money not spending it.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    It's not going to be for competition or anything. Well, nothing past a couple of buddies shooting at plastic army men or soda cans.

Actually mods, could you just merge this thread into that one?

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    Try to find a S&W 2206 or if you want a hi quality revolver look up on gunbroker the Hi-Standard Double Nines they are excellent firearms made in the 60s and 70s

leroygibbs

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2008
    Oh goodness, a s&w 41. I'm sorry sir, 600 is out of my range, twice that doesn't have much hope.

Yeah, I was sympathizing with your difficulties... .22s stink for the reasons you mention, they are all over the place. I ended up with the world's pansy-est .22, the Beretta 21A, last time I was shoping for a new .22, hell it's even less manly than pink grips ;) but nobody laughs at me when I shoot it.... They just cry....

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Try to find a S&W 2206 or if you want a hi quality revolver look up on gunbroker the Hi-Standard Double Nines they are excellent firearms made in the 60s and 70s

The 2206 is a pretty nice gun -but its an older model (no longer made) Its based on the model 41 - uses the same mags.

The 2206 is not without flaws though. Mine feeds flawlessly but the recoil plugs on the slides break apart often! Norton, another member on here has the same issue. Ive gone through a bunch on mine. I found using a "blued" version of that recoil plug seems to reduce or avoid it breaking apart.I think the blued version is made from another type of metal.

There are other variants of the 2206 - 422, 622 etc. All are pretty nice -but have long been out of manufacture.

Not that I ever would on a .22 - but the front of the barrels on those is held in by a threaded barrel nut - you can easily suppress those with an adapter. You dont have to do any machining, just remove the barrel nut, and O-ring, and replace it with Suppressor adapter.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I am a big fan of the Ruger Mark series. I have a Mark I and a Mark II. I will be picking up a Mark III soon. You can still get these guns at reasonable prices and I love the way they shoot.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    My CZ75 with Kadet kit has run 100%. Not even one stoppage, no FTF/FTE... nothing, regardless of what I've fed it.

Granted you'll be spending more overall by investing in a 9mm plus a .22 slide. But the gun is a sheer joy to shoot in either caliber.

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    Why limit yourself? Make a list and buy what everone you can get the best deal on. Take the money you save not buying the more expensive ammunition(9mm, .38, .357) and save for the next one on your list. Remember you can never have too many .22's.

Sirex