• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EdHershon

Oct 2, 2018
    Annapolis
    I’m interested in purchasing a shotgun for home defense.

Not sure what I want yet. I don’t want to break the bank but would like something reliable and will last.

Any suggestions?

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. Neither are expensive and are time proven. Don’t go cheap on protecting your family. I’m not saying to buy a Benelli, but the Remington and Mossberg can be had for cheap and will run forever.

Don’t get a pistol grip!!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Unless you have a preexisting desire for something like a Win 1200/1400 or Ithica M37 , the Mossberg M500 and Rem M870 are the usual go to choices , with a coin toss between them .

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    Short but legal barrel for maneuvering inside a house. Regular butstock instead of pistol grip. Gives you more stability and control. Learn the technique of loading slugs while working the action. Practice, practice, practice so you don’t short cycle a pump under stress.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    The Remington 870 Hardwood Home Defense model is a nice option these days. Comes with an extended mag tube and can be found at $320 (and sometimes $300) ...

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/170452

I have this version of the Mossberg 500 with extended mag tube and ghost ring sights that I like a lot. At $290 shipped, it's the cheapest that I've seen it ...
    https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsupers...7/mossberg-500-tactical-12-gauge-pump-shotgun

If you want to pay less than $200 for a basic, reliable, new, pump action shotgun, look for sales on the Mossberg Maverick 88. Here's one with the extended mag tube for $180 shipped ...

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/34461

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. Neither are expensive and are time proven. Don’t go cheap on protecting your family. I’m not saying to buy a Benelli, but the Remington and Mossberg can be had for cheap and will run forever.

If you are really on a limited budget, the safe way to go 'cheap' is to buy a LE trade in (former Law Enforcement owned), either the 870 or the 590. Several IPs have had multiple examples of them in stock to choose from in the recent past. You may pay less for a shotgun that may not be as pretty but is actually better made.

For example, a 20 year old 870 Wingmaster might be had for less than a brand new 870 Express, and might be worn on the outside with very little wear on the internals.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The important differences :

Mossberg has tang mounted safety, Remington has push button . With a conventional stock ( my preference and default recomendation ) , advantage to Mossberg . If the typical pistol grip is used , advantage to Remington.

Mossberg has alloy reciever , Remington has steel . Either is fine from viewpoint of durability and reliability , but their is a meaningful weight difference . Can go either way of easier handling vs slightly less recoil . The tastes great vs less filling of the pump shotgun world .

For really, really inexpensive , I would personally gravitate to the provbal used, looks ugly on outside, but functional . But that presupposes a level of of knowledge to examine and evaluate a well used shotgun, and the capability to function test 5 minutes after getting home .

But for the $ in a new gun , the Maverick is a lot of gun for very little $ . The very short version is an assembled in Mexico Mossberg, with minor details . Single action bar vs dual . In theory dual is better , but millions of 1st generation Mossbergs ( and others ) had singles , with they work plently well enough . Maverick has pushbutton safety similar to Rem ( and most other shotguns ). Certainly functional , but I like a tang safety enough to prefer a Mossberg for the price differential . Your preferences as well as milage may vary .

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Good advice re the Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. There are usually a few that show up in the classifieds and even with extended magazines.

If you find a really good deal on one with a bird barrel (> 20in.), you can keep it around until a slug barrel comes up for sale. People tend to sell those off when they buy an upgraded slug barrel for hunting and the smooth IC or open choke slug barrel is more than adequate for home distances.

Also, I wouldn't dismiss a side by side or O/U. You get a quick followup shot and unless it's the Zombie Apocalypse you're unlikely to have hoards of intruders.

Last edited:

RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    Lots of good advice here. I’ll say that I own a maverick and have only ever had issues with Remington green box ammo. I think the firing pin is either a bit weak or the Remington primers are a tad hard, but it’ll run federal just fine.

If looks aren’t any issue, the LE trade in wingmasters are a steal. You can usually find them at the local shows or at Nation’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    I'm a big fan of the Remington 870's. The HD model is reasonable enough with the 18" barrel. Also look around for a used Winchester 120/1200/1300 speed pump. Nice guns with really smooth actions and the are priced really cheap. The RIA M5 is another very reasonably priced option based on the old High Standard Flight King.
    https://armscor.com/firearms/shotgun-series/m30-m5-matte-nickel/

Not to crazy on the Mossberg's but that is my personal preference.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    When I was on the Security Alert Team for my ship in the Navy we used Mossberg 500's. That's what I have at home now. If they are good enough to defend a US Navy destroyer they are good enough for my home.

Hyper-W

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2010
    Cooksville
    I'm a Mossberg guy (prefer their safety as a lefty). I bought a brand new 500 at a gun show many years ago for $280 or something like that. I remember it being sub-$300.
    Three years ago, I picked up a used 930SPX for a really reasonable price. Got it from a guy here. I want to say in the $500 range but I cannot remember. It's more expensive but is the ultimate in home defense: short barrel and auto-loading.

Side note: I worked with a guy years ago that would load (in order) two slugs, two buckshot, and then two birdshot into his HD shotty. "I'll start them off with birdshot to give them a chance to change their mind, then I'm stopping them with buckshot, and if they're still coming in, I'll put an end to this with slugs."

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Rarely is hearing discussed with home defense. I was at a covered outdoor range and forgot to put on my muffs and I thought the handgun blew up. Setting off a shotgun in your home will make your ears ring and of course damage your hearing. Just FYI.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Rarely is hearing discussed with home defense. I was at a covered outdoor range and forgot to put on my muffs and I thought the handgun blew up. Setting off a shotgun in your home will make your ears ring and of course damage your hearing. Just FYI.

Yep. Guns are loud. Indeed.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck

Attachments

• 52A10367-1116-407B-ABD2-E35304AAA485.jpg
      52A10367-1116-407B-ABD2-E35304AAA485.jpg
      139.2 KB · Views: 372

Gorba

Deplorable Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 24, 2018
    Annapolis
    I cast my vote for the Remington 870 with the HD barrel. Just the sound of that sucker cycling in the dark of the night will send any invader with half a brain scurrying for the door.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Now to turn the discussion to the shotgun’s gauge

For HD, I prefer 20 over 12 gauge

Lighter felt recoil to make it easier for anybody in the family to use if necessary.

Still gets the job done and no perp will be able to tell the difference once you shoot them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom