• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Hey everyone. Over the past few months I've been watching ebay and comparing what sells, prices, and what the fakes look like. Part of my comparisons have involved The Knife Center and Amazon. I did buy a Benchmade Griptillian from Amazon and it is a real one, but recently I've gotten more into Spyderco. I picked up an older stainless steel handled Butterfly in VG10 steel and it is now my edc knife. It mics out to manufacturers specs, so I'm confident it's the real thing. However, I'm looking at the Paramilitary 2 now, and I'm hard pressed to tell the difference just by looking at crappy Internet pics. Some are obvious. Made in China, or the auction actually says "reproduction ". Some are a bit more obtuse, and I steer away... my fav... "Made in the USA" yet it's imported from China. Again... I stay away... I've even seen this on Amazon, it's not just an Ebay thing. For some reason, Spyderco is particularly a target, but I'm sure there are Zero Tolerance blades or Chris Reeve blades that are also copied... thoughts?

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    I think the only way to be sure it to buy from a dealer like knife center. Some of the Chinese fakes are exact replicas. Search for zero tolerance replicas on YouTube. They come in a ZT box and look nearly identical. Some are very difficult to ID.
    If you get a deal on a new spyderco on ebay it's probably fake...
    Look at Dhgate.com and you can find all the replica knives you can imagine.

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    I think the only way to be sure it to buy from a dealer like knife center. Some of the Chinese fakes are exact replicas. Search for zero tolerance replicas on YouTube. They come in a ZT box and look nearly identical. Some are very difficult to ID.
    If you get a deal on a new spyderco on ebay it's probably fake...
    Look at Dhgate.com and you can find all the replica knives you can imagine.

I recall once I saw a YouTube video showing that an exact copied knife was stronger than the real deal. The guy used all sort of "scientific" tests in attempt to destroy it lol

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    I recall once I saw a YouTube video showing that an exact copied knife was stronger than the real deal. The guy used all sort of "scientific" tests in attempt to destroy it lol

I bought a boker kwaiken copy and it's really nice. It's identical to a real one down to the paperwork and box. I like the option of buying a cheap version to see if I like the ergonomics of a knife.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Agreed... I think part of the problem with fakes that are that good is that someone invariably gets duped into thinking he has the real thing. If he's the last owner, there's no problem. However, when he goes to sell it, there are problems... either for him in that he spent more than he should have initially, or the next person that buys it.

I suppose there wouldn't be any problems if all information was out there. If it's a reproduction and being sold as such, that's fine, but often this isn't the case and someone e is out to make a quick buck.

Case in point... an Ebay auction that ended last night on a PM 2 that was billed as "genuine" from a seller with 12 transactions and a 92% rating. The lone negative left a comment provided by the seller... "...what did you expect for $80,of course it's a clone..."

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Benchmade used to have the Red Class, which were their designs made overseas. After they discontinued the Red Class, the same factories kept making them, and even copied Blue Class designs. Since they had made the real deal, some of those are pretty damn good.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    The PM2 and some microtechs are among the most cloned folders. I saw a benchmade infidel clone recently that looked so good i'd have trouble differentiating it from real.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I understand why some have an issue here but for me if it's sold as a replica and not passed off as the real deal I have no problem with it.

Replicas and counterfeits are 2 completely different things. A cheap company making a knife that looks like a mainstream knife is cool, but when they sell it as genuine with correct boxes and paperwork at full price it is a problem.

It is so bad with the Spydercos on ebay that I would never trust buying one from anyone on that site.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Replicas and counterfeits are 2 completely different things. A cheap company making a knife that looks like a mainstream knife is cool, but when they sell it as genuine with correct boxes and paperwork at full price it is a problem.

It is so bad with the Spydercos on ebay that I would never trust buying one from anyone on that site.

This! There's a huge difference between replica... something that's made to the correct tolerances with the proper steel etc... and a counterfeit. ..something that's made with inferior materials and passed off as real, with a real price tag!

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    From what I've seen in just the past few months, it seems as though the Spyderco PM2 is about the most counterfeited, followed by Zero Tolerance 350s, and others... then, there's the rarified air at the top of the heap... but then again, I wouldn't know a genuine Chris Reeve, or a Lyle if it jumped up and bit me. Randalls used to be counterfeited often, and there are probably a bunch of them still around. I guess any time someone can slap about $20 worth of material together and have it look the part of a $400 piece.... there's motivation to do so.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I will say this. As someone who works for a premium knife company (sometimes) on a contractual basis, I have seen more fakes popping up all around lately than ever before. And the fakers are getting the boxes pretty much correct too. Be very careful when laying down money for a knife with someone you don't know or who isn't a regular dealer.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Exactly! Everything looks legit... knife, box, even the warranty paperwork! But if you were expecting s30v steel, and the blade starts to dull from whittling a tent peg, you then know you have a problem...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom