• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Walton Feep

Sep 29, 2012
    If you have documentation of the comment he made about not undercutting it could be grounds for a lawsuit.

Walton Feep

Sep 29, 2012
    What you describe is arguably anticompetitive. You could contact the state's attorney general. But I'd be careful posting too much in public forums without documentation.

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    this is not the first or only time John and co. have done something like this. I've had problems with that bunch and made my mind up to stay with Joel at Eagle Arms and some small shows I've been doing for years. I believe the attitude at Appalachian is the reason you are seeing more empty tables at their shows.

just my .02 ----- but I do back it with my business money

bruppert

Dec 4, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Good Morning Everyone. I'm not quite sure how to say this so I'm going to the best that I can.

John Lamplugh, the owner of Appalachian Promotions which does the York Show and the Timonium Fairgrounds Show (among a few others), had one of his employees call me yesterday 4 days prier to the show in York this weekend stating, "You are no longer welcome at our shows". For years, I have been a staple at those shows.

The reason is because I am in competition with his buddies there, the Lewises with regards to ammunition.

-Eric

I am not sure if I'm going to the York show but I will not be buying anything from the Lewises. I may go just so I can see who they are and never buy anything from them. That's BS.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    I am not sure if I'm going to the York show but I will not be buying anything from the Lewises. I may go just so I can see who they are and never buy anything from them. That's BS.

first of all Chris is a stand up guy. i doubt he had anything to do with this.
    the person you should be talking to is the show promoter.

bruppert

Dec 4, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    first of all Chris is a stand up guy. i doubt he had anything to do with this.
    the person you should be talking to is the show promoter.

Ok, on 2nd thought that was a bit in the harsh side since I don't really know all the facts. Its just I've seen this type of crap in other businesses as well, bid rigging, price fixing, MAPP, etc... and it kinda PMO.

Guess I'll just skip this show all-together.... Chantilly and Gettysburg are less than 2 seeks away any way.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I am going to try and hit this show. I will be on vaca. So wifey shouldn't mind. If I do go, I will try to let anyone else that wants to car pool up know. No guarantees. I have weird hours on the weekends. :rolleyes:

PharaohF4

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2010
    Good Morning Everyone. I'm not quite sure how to say this so I'm going to the best that I can.

John Lamplugh, the owner of Appalachian Promotions which does the York Show and the Timonium Fairgrounds Show (among a few others), had one of his employees call me yesterday 4 days prier to the show in York this weekend stating, "You are no longer welcome at our shows". For years, I have been a staple at those shows.

The reason is because I am in competition with his buddies there, the Lewises with regards to ammunition.

When I originally got into this business, I was 21 years old [6 years ago], and had $500 dollars I saved up for my first product to sell. I was only selling medical supplies, freeze dried food and tactical bags. I then branched out into ammunition. When I branched out into ammunition, John took notice of it [and his buddies] and sent his employee out to me to state, "Don't undercut anyone, we don't allow that here". [this was over a year ago] What had prompted that comment was that I changed my case price of 7.62x39 down $5 dollars to match his buddies in the front. (You know them, as soon as you walk through the doors they are there to the right). I do not check other dealer prices [I don't need too], I had a regular customer ask me to match their price up front and I agreed. I then put a new sign out that changed my price from $245/case to $240/case. (Still a year ago) I got a call from John (not his employee) to state that I was no longer allowed at his shows. I tried for better than 15 min to find out a reason and he just stated over and over again, "You are not allowed at my shows". We hung up, and I called him one last time to try to reason with him and he agreed to let me back into the show.

I've done everyone of his shows since then religiously, spend good money to buy 9-13 tables from him too depending on the table size. No issues from that last time until literally yesterday (4 days before the york show) when he had one of his employees call me , didn't even have the balls to call me himself. I requested that he call me back (knowing that he wouldn't as I would've asked him embarrassing and tough questions), he never did. In fact, the employee gave me his (Personal) CELL PHONE number for me to call back on because they (the promoter) didn't want to answer my questions directly.

I'm sure most of you know/remember me - I'm the one with the pallets of ammunition and the metal carts. He simply doesn't want any competition for his friends upfront. (They Primarily sell PMC ammunition)

As you all know, ammunition is very expensive. I had invested 10s of thousands of dollars in product and prep for this show as it is right before Christmas.

I was debating on whether to post anything, however I felt it necessary that the general public know of John Lamplugh's price controls on ammunition and business ethics/practices.

-Eric

That sucks. Hopefully something else works out for you. If you have 22lr, 9mm, .223 or 556 for sale I'd be interested. You can PM me. Maybe I can help you a bit.

offthepaper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 7, 2007
    Harford County
    gh and eny another.

After reading this, not so sure I want to attend that show.
    Kind of slaps a bit of the vendors freedom in the face. Hard to support one right and deny another. Not saying I would boycott all GS's, but that sort of price control by anyone other than a seller would eliminate a lot of other-wise good deals to be had. What's next, have to check with the promoter before a vendor can drop $20 on another FA?
    Just sayin'/

Ohsplat

Oct 5, 2014
    I know I'm new here.....

After reading this, not so sure I want to attend that show.
    Kind of slaps a bit of the vendors freedom in the face. Hard to support one right and deny another. Not saying I would boycott all GS's, but that sort of price control by anyone other than a seller would eliminate a lot of other-wise good deals to be had. What's next, have to check with the promoter before a vendor can drop $20 on another FA?
    Just sayin'/

I am def not going to York now. I was planing on it being my 1st gun show ever lol. I usually just buy from locals. I don't know how the law works but you may try selling bulk ammo at flee marts. I do not know the legalities of selling ammo at one, but I have seen the one in Dundalk MD selling knives and swords. There is also a outdoor range in Carrol county ( I am sure you know) that does not sell ammo. Maybe you can sell it there?

Mr H

Banana'd
    Appalachian has been a sore spot for me for a while now, but nothing to do with the vendors, per se.

They went out of their way to avoid committing space to MSI (which we would have paid for, gladly), and never provided feedback or calls of explanation.

I've wondered for some time about their commitment to the 2A community, and suspected that it's all about the cash and connections. This seems to confirm it.

I had thought to go this weekend, but now I think not.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    This kind of anticompetitive nepotism drives up prices for us, the consumer.

I won't be going to any more Appalachian shows, unless this situation changes.

I'm on their email list, and went to unsubscribe - and their unsubscribe link doesn't even work. Figures.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    so we are now boycotting Maryland shows instead of supporting the dealers who show up to try to accommodate you. way to go guys.:rolleyes:

Mr H

Banana'd
    It's a tough one, Lee...

Ideally, everyone should be contacting them to express their opinions.

In my experience it will fall on deaf ears.

Yes, we should be supporting the shows--you know I believe that. But the consumer needs to step up and be heard. Until that happens, and the balance is struck, the battle rages on, and people get screwed.

As for this weekend, I was going to skip on other activities to go. Now, I'll save the trip... this time.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    so we are now boycotting Maryland shows instead of supporting the dealers who show up to try to accommodate you. way to go guys.:rolleyes:

No, it's more like we're boycotting nepotism and anti-competitive favoritism that favors the sponsor's buddies, at OUR expense.

WHY should we bother going, if the game is rigged against us?

Appalachian should be the target of your ire, not us.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    Given the report of price fixing and a report, from whom I consider a reliable source, of not even working with a 2A advocacy group for a paid table, I will hold off on going to this promoter's shows. I have no reason not to believe the person who claimed it, but in fairness, I would like to verify the price fixing. There are other shows to go to, and I can find similar deals from local IPs and online on products I am looking for. I have not found smoking hot deals at shows for some time, especially ammo. Now I possibly know why. There is always the Philly show which is just as large and not that much farther.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan

When I originally got into this business, I was 21 years old [6 years ago], and had $500 dollars I saved up for my first product to sell. I was only selling medical supplies, freeze dried food and tactical bags. I then branched out into ammunition. When I branched out into ammunition, John took notice of it [and his buddies] and sent his employee out to me to state, "Don't undercut anyone, we don't allow that here". [this was over a year ago] What had prompted that comment was that I changed my case price of 7.62x39 down $5 dollars to match his buddies in the front. (You know them, as soon as you walk through the doors they are there to the right). I do not check other dealer prices [I don't need too], I had a regular customer ask me to match their price up front and I agreed. I then put a new sign out that changed my price from $245/case to $240/case. (Still a year ago) I got a call from John (not his employee) to state that I was no longer allowed at his shows. I tried for better than 15 min to find out a reason and he just stated over and over again, "You are not allowed at my shows". We hung up, and I called him one last time to try to reason with him and he agreed to let me back into the show.

I've done everyone of his shows since then religiously, spend good money to buy 9-13 tables from him too depending on the table size. No issues from that last time until literally yesterday (4 days before the york show) when he had one of his employees call me , didn't even have the balls to call me himself. I requested that he call me back (knowing that he wouldn't as I would've asked him embarrassing and tough questions), he never did. In fact, the employee gave me his (Personal) CELL PHONE number for me to call back on because they (the promoter) didn't want to answer my questions directly.

I'm sure most of you know/remember me - I'm the one with the pallets of ammunition and the metal carts. He simply doesn't want any competition for his friends upfront. (They Primarily sell PMC ammunition)

As you all know, ammunition is very expensive. I had invested 10s of thousands of dollars in product and prep for this show as it is right before Christmas.

I was debating on whether to post anything, however I felt it necessary that the general public know of John Lamplugh's price controls on ammunition and business ethics/practices.

-Eric

Not at all surprised.

Thanks for posting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom