• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    So to add my 2 cents to the conversation. A little off topic but along the same lines. I am looking to get a AR style pistol and called two different FFLs to see if they would transfer a ATI Milsport 9mm carbine with the 16" barrel. One said it was banned and the other said it was OK. They both did some sort of research on the MDSP website before answering. I am sure if I called the one back that said it was banned, I would get a different answer if I talked to another person that worked there.:confused::banghead::crazy:

At this point, I am looking into 80% polymer lowers and think I will build my own.

Just buy a 9mm stripped lower and build it how you want.

Glock4arms

May 8, 2015
    dedicated 9mm AR stripped lowers can be purchased & taken home the same day. Per state law they do not require the 7 day waiting period so long as they are purchased legally through a FFL

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    So to add my 2 cents to the conversation. A little off topic but along the same lines. I am looking to get a AR style pistol and called two different FFLs to see if they would transfer a ATI Milsport 9mm carbine with the 16" barrel. One said it was banned and the other said it was OK. They both did some sort of research on the MDSP website before answering. I am sure if I called the one back that said it was banned, I would get a different answer if I talked to another person that worked there.:confused::banghead::crazy:

At this point, I am looking into 80% polymer lowers and think I will build my own.

There would be no reason it's banned. It's a dedicated 9mm rifle. Now if you want to convert it to a pistol, federal law would prevent that.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Or at least Federal Law would require the NFA ( Form 1) process to build it into an AOW that closely resembles a Pistol .

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    I have a lower that was transferred as an "Other." I ended up building it into a pistol. If I were to sell the lower w/ pistol tube, does it have to be on the roster?

Aug 14, 2018
    Does any one know if you can buy a Stripped lower in another state like Delaware and bring it in to the communist state of maryland? Much like buying a long gun in a neighboring state.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Bumping this thread since it's been a while.

Looking for several stripped, forged lowers in MD. Preferably near Columbia MD. Palmetto State is having a sale on lowers for $39.99 but I haven't found a shop that does transfers that make it worthwhile. Not really interested in billet.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    Bumping this thread since it's been a while.

Looking for several stripped, forged lowers in MD. Preferably near Columbia MD. Palmetto State is having a sale on lowers for $39.99 but I haven't found a shop that does transfers that make it worthwhile. Not really interested in billet.

We have Andersons in stock and are only about 20mins from Columbia.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Stay away from Fox in Columbia. He sued MDS because they didn’t process his IP application fast enough for him.

He’s no friend of this community.

Case was tossed BTW

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    I have a lower that I bought about a year ago that i am still not sure what I wanted to do with it. When purchased it had a stock on it, as it was a used lower which was an SBR in a past life. The dealer separated the upper and lower receiver before putting it up for sale. My question is, can i turn this in to a pistol? my 77r does not specify Caliber or barrel length and the type is listed as Lower Receiver.

I purchased this from Engage in Rockville, I planned on giving them a call but they are closed today.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I have a lower that I bought about a year ago that i am still not sure what I wanted to do with it. When purchased it had a stock on it, as it was a used lower which was an SBR in a past life. The dealer separated the upper and lower receiver before putting it up for sale. My question is, can i turn this in to a pistol? my 77r does not specify Caliber or barrel length and the type is listed as Lower Receiver.

I purchased this from Engage in Rockville, I planned on giving them a call but they are closed today.

No, once it's made into a rifle it can't be turned into a pistol. Ridiculous as it may be that's the rule.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD

Federal law prevents you from making a pistol from a modified rifle, but since it didn't have a barrel on it when you bought it, it was not a rifle. A rifle must have a butt stock and a barrel. I'm sure it would be safe to build it into a pistol if you haven't done anything with it since you bought it.

Chuck

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    Is that true of you actually take possession and transfer the stripped lower as a “rifle” instead of “other” or “pistol”?

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    Is that true of you actually take possession and transfer the stripped lower as a “rifle” instead of “other” or “pistol”?

If it's a rifle, you can't make it a pistol. A rifle has to have a butt stock and barrel. If it's a lower receiver, you can make whichever one you want.

Chuck

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom