• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chazp89

Sep 1, 2017
    Figure this might start some interesting discussion. What do you think is the most under appreciated c&r rifle design? Either by collectors or in service

Ready... go!

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    That could take some thinking. I would probably say MAS 49. Really clever design, early direct impingement. 7.5 French is a much maligned caliber but very appropriate and effective.

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    I can agree about the French rifles , I just got my 1st C&R license then I just couldn't bring myself to buy one

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ok , I'll be that guy once again :

This Thread should be titled Most Underappreciated MILSURP Rifle . C&R is not synonymous with Milsurp . All bolt action Milsurps are C&R, but zillions of C&R aren't Milsurp .

Rant out of the way , I'll nominate the 6.5 Caracano .

Chazp89

Sep 1, 2017
    Ok , I'll be that guy once again :

This Thread should be titled Most Underappreciated MILSURP Rifle . C&R is not synonymous with Milsurp . All bolt action Milsurps are C&R, but zillions of C&R aren't Milsurp .

Rant out of the way , I'll nominate the 6.5 Caracano .

It is more geared towards milsurp but this post is not limited to milsurp by any means. I added “in service” just to add another potential layer of discussion

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And somd mustang brings up a good point - Underapprecated back in the day ? Or underappreciated in moden times ?

The above Johnson was dissed back in the day , but is highly sought today.

Jul 1, 2012
    and ironically the JSAR saw very little military action in general, most of them out there were never issued.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ok . In that theme - Savage M1920 . Sub lukewarm reception in the day , but excellent rifle 60 years ahead of its time .

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    The one that's sitting in an armory overseas because the Republican Trifecta Machine won't change firearm import laws and allow crate after crate of cosmoline covered rifles into the U.S.

That aside: The Yugoslavian M48/M48A bolt action rifle chambered in 8mm Mauser.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Brings me back to the Arisaka. Infamous regime. For the collector, these are often matching with the Mum less than $350. The ground mum is part of the history and not a bubba or defacing by bubba. They are often in the same condition as they were taken from the Japanese soldier. For a German K98K that would be a $1000 rifle in the same condition. This from a Historical and Collector prospective. If not, it would be in the top 10 or even 5 IMO. A MAS 36 might be in the same gategory. Often I think in the same condition. M1 Garands, M1 Carbines were upgraded and rearsinaled. Hard to find an affordable (in same condition as issued) for those. Many K98K are Russian capture if affordable. Refurbed Mosins. Many Enfields had rear sights upgraded. Swiss Rifles are appreciated plenty so they are out. Vetterli's may be a candidate, Hard to find ammo to shoot them properly, historically significant and inexpensive to buy (when you find one). For Non Milsurp C&R, I think the most underappreciated gun I have might be the High Standard target pistols. Inexpensive and good shooters for the day.

Chazp89

Sep 1, 2017
    Almost forgot to post my pick, was going to say arisaka, carcano or any French rifle for the unwarranted bad stigma they all got but I’ll go out on a limb and say the Czech vz52. In my eyes a much better gun than the sks.

The m1941 Johnson has a vote from me too, if it entered trials earlier it would have given the garand a serious run for its money

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    French 49/56 as good a battle rifle as ever made. Handy, simple and packs a wallop. Someone wrote that it should have won the us trials to replace the garand, but it was under appreciated ( and french). See? How about brit P14s? Still priced low. And us mod. 1917s. They seem to fly low.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I like a good underdog (my Ross collection is proof positive) and totally agree on French arms, esp. the MAS 36 and MAS 49 families. The MAS 1940 was in limited troop trials when the Germans invaded so its impact was negligible. Had it made full production it would have been one of the most advanced MBRs of the war. Post war it got a removable 10 round magazine and became the MAS 44 that French Marines loved.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    The 49/56 came this close to being a great rifle. Trigger pull sucked however. Front sight too tree-trunk like, although the mechanism for raising/lowering it like the AR15 is nice. Staked parts to prevent soldiers from doing more than field striping not-so great. If they had just made the receiver cover a bit lower in the rear you could clean it from the rear. Severe drop of the buttstock doesn't help barrel rise or scoping it.

May 13, 2005
    Winchester Model 12 family of shotguns. Probably one of the best built shotguns I've have the pleasure to own. My Father has a set of 8, in various gauges and configurations. Absolutely gorgeous weapons.

And yeah yeah yeah.. not a rifle... Blah blah... Lol... They are still cool :) you'll thank me once you get one in your collection. Same with older Winchester model 94 rifles.

Jul 1, 2012
    Well if you're gonna go military training rifles how about the Harrington & Richardson Reising MC-58?
    what's that you say? -- exactly.
    Or his daddy the Model 65, both built for USMC.
    At least the M65 got issued and used :)

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Well if you're gonna go military training rifles how about the Harrington & Richardson Reising MC-58?
    what's that you say? -- exactly.
    Or his daddy the Model 65, both built for USMC.
    At least the M65 got issued and used :)

Misses the point of the thread. I would never call the MC-58/M65 underappreciated. It's quite the collectors item and highly-prized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom