• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    This is Margaret of Fazakerley. She was born in July of 1943 as Enfield No4 Mk I, when her realm was in great peril. After dutifully serving Queen and County, she earned her /2 designation through FTR in 1950. Sometime before coming home with me, she acquired walnut handguards that do not match her beech stock. As pretty as she is now, I think she would be prettier in matching wood. Hubby was nice enough to buy us a set of beech handguards, but they are unfinished. The wood and color look good, but they are dry and matte, and just don't quite look right. He tried researching online for what the British used to get her satiny finish. Tung oil, raw linseed oil, or boiled linseed oil (apparently there are different varieties of each?),:shrug: he threw up his hands and said to ask the Shooters.

So here I am asking the braintrust how to make these handguards match the existing finish on the stock. I don't want to completely refinish her. She has earned her nicks and bruises. Thank you all for your help.

Attachments

• Enfieldfeet.JPG
      Enfieldfeet.JPG
      114.1 KB · Views: 229

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I'll be honest. They're pretty close in color now. A nice drink of boiled linseed oil would darken them up some.

If the wood is really dry, anything you put on the stocks will darken them.

I certainly wouldn't use any kind of stain. Cuzz once you apply an oil finish of some sort, they will darken even more.

It will take several coats of finish to build up a sheen.

PS: I've always wanted a #4 MKII, but I know nothing about the SMLE rifle. Lots of stock rot horror stories out there.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    As I understand it, the original finish was applied by dipping/soaking the stock in a tank of BLO. This is not the same as what is available in hardware stores, as it leaves a finish that is shinny. Art supply stores sell BLO and it is the original kind that is just an oil and should leave the finish dull or non reflective. May need to buy several bottles of the art supply stuff as I think the bottles were pretty small. As always, try it on a small area first to see if it is what you desire.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    The British used raw linseed oil which doesn't have drying agents. It allows the oil to penetrate deeper into the wood. This is what I use. But it's hard to find, hardware stores don't stock it anymore. I had to purchase online from a boat finish company where raw linseed is still used.
    Got mine from Jamestown Distributors.

Attachments

• rawlinseedoil-1.jpg
      rawlinseedoil-1.jpg
      53.2 KB · Views: 206

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I just did an Enfield for a friend a couple of months ago. I did not sand anything! I cleaned the stock with hot water and Dawn to remove the grease and cosmoline from the wood and then hand rubbed 8 coats of BLO into the wood.

After cleaning the stock, it was very light, but darkened with each coat as it dried.

The secret to getting color into the finish is to allow the BLO to dry well in between coats. As it dries, it oxidizes and that produces the color. Once you get all of the pieces the same color, do the entire stock again to hydrate it.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    The British used raw linseed oil which doesn't have drying agents. It allows the oil to penetrate deeper into the wood. This is what I use. But it's hard to find, hardware stores don't stock it anymore. I had to purchase online from a boat finish company where raw linseed is still used.
    Got mine from Jamestown Distributors.

You can buy it as flaxseed oil at the drugstore. I use it for my rifles and cast iron pans.

knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    Thanks so much! Great information here. Looks like I'm going to find raw linseed oil and go to work on the handguards! Since they aren't on the gun right now, I think I can set them nearish to the woodstove to dry.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Thanks so much! Great information here. Looks like I'm going to find raw linseed oil and go to work on the handguards! Since they aren't on the gun right now, I think I can set them nearish to the woodstove to dry.

Just a reminder, rags soaked in linseed oil can spontaneously combust as they dry. You need to keep them in a metal container for oily rags.

knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    Just let them air dry at room temperature.

Just my opinion, but adding additional heat via a woodstove is a really bad idea.

Sorry I should have been clearer. Not right by the woodstove. Our woodstove is downstairs, so it stays warmer and drier. So just down there as opposed to the upstairs which fluctuates greatly and we attempt to keep it pretty humid with humidifiers.

I think I will try the hand rubbed method so no rags to worry about!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom