• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Planned to attend todays Redding sporting arms auction for smalls only. Wanted to see if I could get a nice German scope for my K31 target rifle. In
    preparation I re-read the listings and found something I had previously missed. And realized that I had a brand new sling for it that I had bought by accident a couple of years ago. So now I had a mission to match the orphan sling with a rifle.
    -What did the sling go to? A French MAS 45 .22 training rifle. Only this one is a little bit different from the typical MAS 45 which is why I had to make a run at it.
    -In August 1945 the occupying French asked the management of Mauser to produce a .22 cal training rifle for them. At this time Mauser was already starting up production of the K98k (SVW), HSc and P38 (Grey Ghost) for the French military. They had tooling on hand for the outstanding KKW trainer and that was the basis for the new Model 45 which added a removable 5 round magazine, receiver sight and slightly heavier/shorter barrel. Production started using parts on-hand built for the KKW and early examples sport Mauser marked receivers and buttplates. They also had blued finishes and walnut stocks. When the Mauser marked parts were exhausted all new production was MAS marked. Many Mauser parts were sent for finish assembly at MAS when the Mauser factory was closed. Hence the added mark "FAB n MAS" on the Mod 45A receivers. In total approx. 15,000 MAS 45 were built.
    -What I found at Redding is a very uncommon Mauser Mod 45A marked example with a stunning walnut stock. I ran across a serious MAS 45 collector who had 150 rifles in his collection and only 3 of them were Mauser Model 45A marked. He recollected talking to staff at the now defunct Navy Arms and they estimated bringing in 2,000 MAS 45s in the mid 80s. I know that Davidson's also imported them so who knows how many more are floating about the country.
    -Pulled my other MAS 45 from the safe for a comparison. You can see the difference in the receiver markings and buttplates. The 45A has a plastic MAS buttplate, also very uncommon. Most MAS 45s will be marked "MAS Mod 45" or MAS Mod. 45". The obvious difference is in the wood furniture. Only the very early ones used walnut with the vast majority sporting beech.
    -I also snagged 100 rounds of Swiss 7.5 Ordnance ammo for my Swiss 1882 and 1929 Ordanance revolvers. Not cheap at a buck a round but pretty much unobtanium since Fiocchi stopped production a while ago.

Attachments

• IMGP8500.JPG
      IMGP8500.JPG
      35.9 KB · Views: 649
    • IMGP8505.JPG
      IMGP8505.JPG
      24.4 KB · Views: 636
    • IMGP8504.JPG
      IMGP8504.JPG
      47.2 KB · Views: 619
    • IMGP8501.JPG
      IMGP8501.JPG
      58.1 KB · Views: 588
    • IMGP8502.JPG
      IMGP8502.JPG
      42.4 KB · Views: 635
    • IMGP8511.JPG
      IMGP8511.JPG
      85.9 KB · Views: 604
    • IMGP8508.JPG
      IMGP8508.JPG
      29.6 KB · Views: 633
    • IMGP8507.JPG
      IMGP8507.JPG
      83.3 KB · Views: 603
    • IMGP8512.JPG
      IMGP8512.JPG
      66.8 KB · Views: 581
    • IMGP8513.JPG
      IMGP8513.JPG
      51.9 KB · Views: 593

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Wow, that's wood worthy of a Les Paul standard. Gonna shoot it? I'd be very curious how it performs.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    They have a few items I'd be interested in come Feb. How are they with respect to C&R license? Cash, CC?

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    They have a few items I'd be interested in come Feb. How are they with respect to C&R license? Cash, CC?

Bring an ink-signed copy of your 03FFL with you. They will take cash or CC, but there's a 3% premium for CC IIRC and cash makes everyone behind you in line much happier when you're paying. Pro-Tip: If you bought what you came for early, duck out of the auction and pay ASAP. The line will get long later. Hang around and try to be first in line for transfer with the FFL. C&R makes it a breeze, but if you wind up having to wait behind a bunch of guys doing 4473s and PA state checks, you'll be stuck there for a bit. They are very nice folks and I doubt you'll have any issues. They tend to list that an item is not transferable to MD if that's the case (e.g. classic pocket carry guns branded as "Saturday night specials" by MD). Competition can be stiff. Don't expect to walk away with a steal. Know current market prices going in and figure out your "walk away" point as some of the dealers who buy there will run them up pretty high.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Bring an ink-signed copy of your 03FFL with you. They will take cash or CC, but there's a 3% premium for CC IIRC and cash makes everyone behind you in line much happier when you're paying. Pro-Tip: If you bought what you came for early, duck out of the auction and pay ASAP. The line will get long later. Hang around and try to be first in line for transfer with the FFL. C&R makes it a breeze, but if you wind up having to wait behind a bunch of guys doing 4473s and PA state checks, you'll be stuck there for a bit. They are very nice folks and I doubt you'll have any issues. They tend to list that an item is not transferable to MD if that's the case (e.g. classic pocket carry guns branded as "Saturday night specials" by MD). Competition can be stiff. Don't expect to walk away with a steal. Know current market prices going in and figure out your "walk away" point as some of the dealers who buy there will run them up pretty high.

Bang on, couldn't add much to this. They do take "good" out-of-state checks too (at least I've never had a problem) which saves you the 3% CC fee. Also, when checking out remind the gals that you have a C&R which saves you the $14 fee for background check.
    Agree that the days of bargains @ Redding is pretty much history. All day I was hanging out with a good friend who's a MDS member and told him what my max bid was on the MAS and ammo. We laughed later that I ended up going to that number both times. And got out bid on the German optics, didn't even come close. But that was more of me not doing my homework on what they sell for (ouch, not cheap!).
    What I noticed yesterday was aggressive phone bidding. There were some high end S&W lots that got serious, successful phone bids. Redding has greatly improved their catalog photos and this makes more confident absentee bidding. They still have lots to learn but at this rate they're getting good consignments and sales that are serious competition to the big houses like Morphy. Just what I didn't need, more competition!

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Bang on, couldn't add much to this. They do take "good" out-of-state checks too (at least I've never had a problem) which saves you the 3% CC fee. Also, when checking out remind the gals that you have a C&R which saves you the $14 fee for background check.
    Agree that the days of bargains @ Redding is pretty much history. All day I was hanging out with a good friend who's a MDS member and told him what my max bid was on the MAS and ammo. We laughed later that I ended up going to that number both times. And got out bid on the German optics, didn't even come close. But that was more of me not doing my homework on what they sell for (ouch, not cheap!).
    What I noticed yesterday was aggressive phone bidding. There were some high end S&W lots that got serious, successful phone bids. Redding has greatly improved their catalog photos and this makes more confident absentee bidding. They still have lots to learn but at this rate they're getting good consignments and sales that are serious competition to the big houses like Morphy. Just what I didn't need, more competition!

You didn't happen to see what that Huntsman hammered for did you?

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    They are having another firearms auction on Feb, 4th, lots of nice stuff in this one as well.
    Just make sure that you bring plenty of money.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    They are having another firearms auction on Feb, 4th, lots of nice stuff in this one as well.
    Just make sure that you bring plenty of money.

Yep, "Military Arms" auction. There are some really nice pieces in there too. Especially in the C&R handgun department. Gonna pay out the nose for most of that stuff though. Interestingly enough, there's a non-military in there I'll likely bid on in the hopes it goes un-noticed.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    So, that's a rear peep? Looks like a hybrid from a Mauser front sight and a MAS 36?
    The rear sight goes down to 50 meters?

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    The amount of money I’ve seen spent there makes my head spin. If you think just by the looks of the crowd that you’re sure to steal every item you’re after, you’re in for a real surprise.

Yeah, it's one of those places you have to be kind of shrewd about. Is it a sporting arms auction? Look for the few milsurps thrown in and see what they go for. Saw a MAS 49/56 go for half or less than half of it's going market value at the last sporting arms auction I went to up there. Same went for a bunch of Enfields. Is it a milsurp auction? Look for the sporting guns thrown in if looking for a deal. I'm guessing the M1D, GEW 43 Sniper and some of the others there will draw a serious and well-financed crowd.

The Hakeem and Ljungman, as well as the VZ35s and some of the non-mainline pistols, are all pretty tempting.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    You didn't happen to see what that Huntsman hammered for did you?

No. Would have liked to stay and see what the Savage 1917 w. box & instructions sold for too but needed to head out early.
    Will be planning on staying up to the end of the upcoming military auction. Too much unobtanium in this one and I want to see the money fly! Should be interesting. Thank God there's little in this one that piques my interest. Doubt I'd be able to take home anything close to market value.
    I'm more interested in Saturday's smalls as I'll be in town anyway for avatar Bucky's grooming and have 5 hrs to kill. Sadly there's a couple of deep pocket ammo collectors who have been making life miserable for me on that front too. Go to a venue long enough and you get a real feeling for all the characters. No different from a poker game I guess.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    The amount of money I’ve seen spent there makes my head spin. If you think just by the looks of the crowd that you’re sure to steal every item you’re after, you’re in for a real surprise.

I'm sure you saw some of the Finn stuff coming up. Know you've been looking for a M28/30 but I think we both know you'll do better searching elsewhere. I know I would. There is one Finn lot in particular that will bring in every Finn collector in a 4 state radius and that by itself will suck all the Finn bargains right out the door.
    Ditto for Mausers. A jaw dropping assortment of South American Mausers from a good collection (again, something I'm sure you're particularly interested in if I remember from your previous threads). I think this one might be their best auction for military long arms in quite some time if not ever.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    So, that's a rear peep? Looks like a hybrid from a Mauser front sight and a MAS 36?
    The rear sight goes down to 50 meters?

Yes, rear sight is correctly registered for a .22 and goes down to 30m. I've shot my other MAS 45 and loved it. Removed the sight hood as that annoyed me, being too small and removed too much light. I'm not alone in that so many MAS 45s are sold w.o. the hood. I'm an old bunny and remembered to pack my hood away somewhere safe so when the time comes to pass it on to someone new they get it.
    At half the cost, or less, of a Springfield 1922 it's easily the best bargain in .22 military trainers. Only my 1922 outshoots it and that's saying something as I would be happy to be buried with my Springfield, love it that much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom