• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • efeng9622

Oct 10, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I am a new Maryland resident just moved from VA. I only want to know if I can buy or sell any handgun in Virginia's gun store or gun show without MD handgun qualification license when they see my MD ID ? Right now I just registered my handguns in MD police Dept and am not ready to apply the license .

Thanks.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Sell * to an FFL * . If wishing to sell to a private party in Va ( or any other state ) must go through an FFL .

Anything ( handgun) you see out of state , must go through an Maryland based FFL . And you would need an HQL , unless either You are Exempt, or the Pistol is Exempt .

You didn't ask , but rifle & shotguns you can purchase directly from Va based FFL . Purchasing from a private person must go through an FFL. But it can be a Virginia based FFL, and they generally are quite reasonable for their fee.

efeng9622

Oct 10, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    What is different between HQL and the Owner license? they should be different, right? Do I still need through a FFL if I just want to purchase a rifle in Maryland ?

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    There is no owner's license in MD. The HQL is a Handgun Qualifications License. It is a 10 year license with a training requirement (unless you meet stated exceptions) that must now be used to purchase any handgun (unless it is classified as curio and relic... those are exempt) in the State of MD. In MD you can still (for the time being) purchase a non-banned long-gun through a private sale, as long as both the buyer and seller are MD residents, not prohibited people, of legal age, etc., etc. Anything long gun that is banned by name (previously regulated) or deemed a copy-cat weapon, cannot be purchased by a MD resident, or brought into the state unless it was owned prior to October 2013. Private sales of handguns between residents in MD have been illegal since the mid 90s. All handgun purchases/transfers in MD must go through an FFL or through the MD State Police.

MD is not a particularly friendly state when it comes to firearms ownership, I'm afraid. It's easy to run afoul of our very confusing and often nonsensical laws. Stay active on this forum... it will help.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom