Realistic drive times from the Harpers Ferry area to BWI/Fort Meade?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • planktonadbc

Jun 20, 2013
    Harpers Ferry
    340 from Harpers Ferry to Frederick is hell. I used to go that way a lot when going hiking in VA and WV. Friday afternoons it would take an hour just to get from Frederick to where it opens up to 2 lanes at the HF battlefield. That was 4 years ago, maybe they widened the bridge over the Potomac to 2 lanes by now?

My wife's cousin lives in CHarles Town and teaches elementary school in Frederick and she always complains about the traffic.

During the spring and summer months in the afternoon from MD to WV there are people who have campers checking into the HF KOA. This is only when school is out. I drive this everyday, on those summer fridays home I take the back way. Today 2/14, this was a clear shot at 85mph to Frederick on 340 to 270 in the morning. Afternoon it the same 85 mph back to the bridge, with that traffic light in VA stopping traffic. Its not a long wait at all coming back to WV. It moves along. Far less traffic here in WV then on 270 to the beltway.

Last edited:

planktonadbc

Jun 20, 2013
    Harpers Ferry
    During the spring and summer months in the afternoon from MD to WV there are people who have campers checking into the HF KOA. This is only when school is out. I drive this everyday, on those summer fridays home I take the back way. Today 2/14, this was a clear shot at 85mph to Frederick on 340 to 270 in the morning. Afternoon it the same 85 mph back to the bridge, with that traffic light in VA stopping traffic. Its not a long wait at all coming back to WV. It moves along. Far less traffic here in WV then on 270 to the beltway.

Just got home, it was exactly 1:30 from work to my home. For reference at 5:30pm I was at the 270 Frederick overlook and at 5:52pm I crossed the WV line, thats 22 mins..

Attachments

• 20180214_172832.jpg
      20180214_172832.jpg
      61.3 KB · Views: 249
    • 20180214_175000.jpg
      20180214_175000.jpg
      71.7 KB · Views: 259
    Last edited:

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    340 from Harpers Ferry to Frederick is hell. I used to go that way a lot when going hiking in VA and WV. Friday afternoons it would take an hour just to get from Frederick to where it opens up to 2 lanes at the HF battlefield. That was 4 years ago, maybe they widened the bridge over the Potomac to 2 lanes by now?

My wife's cousin lives in CHarles Town and teaches elementary school in Frederick and she always complains about the traffic.

No need to complain, most know what they're getting into. Price one pays to live in a good area and need bad area $$$ to maintain it.

planktonadbc

Jun 20, 2013
    Harpers Ferry
    now thats Gospel

I like to believe going through Marylandstan is like the movie "Escape from New York ".
    My son and I just watched it this weekend, he loved it. This picture from the movie tells it all. Lol

Attachments

• 20180209_204537.jpg
      20180209_204537.jpg
      63 KB · Views: 200
    Last edited:

scottp999

Feb 11, 2008
    Nice. Moved to Harpers Ferry (zip code) from Frederick last fall. In the morning, traffic to Frederick seems really light unless road work or an accident. If I’m headed from Frederick to Harpers Ferry, if if get to the potomacc bridge by 4pm it’s pretty good almost all days.

dfens42

Publius
    Jun 7, 2012
    Free America-WV Province
    Even when I lived in Fredneck and worked in Leesburg 10 years ago traffic was a suckfest. Granted they have finished most of the construction on 70 thru town but it is a hike. I had an employee commute from Charles Town to White Marsh and that was 90 minutes way off peak.

remodeler1

Jul 23, 2013
    Frederick
    Work nights, problem solved.

That's what seems to be lost in most advice. The OP said he could leave before traffic. The trick here is to hit rt 32 before it bogs down inbound & 32 & the Potomac River bridge outbound. Those tend to be the easily discernible slow points

dfens42

Publius
    Jun 7, 2012
    Free America-WV Province
    That's what seems to be lost in most advice. The OP said he could leave before traffic. The trick here is to hit rt 32 before it bogs down inbound & 32 & the Potomac River bridge outbound. Those tend to be the easily discernible slow points

I'd be taking 70 all the way to 29, and then 100 to 95 etc rather than 2 lanes on 32 actually...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom