• Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    Chantilly next week. Much better show.

sks noob

Jan 3, 2008
    Glenn Dale MD
    I got there this morning at about 10:30. I was looking for 1911 parts, and I couldn't find crap. On the way in I picked up a Russian SKS for $150 from a guy walking around so it wasn't a total washout for me.

Dude! I think talked to you today! your russian sks had a plastic hand guard over the gas tube and you just bought or were buying a wood one to replace it with. I you remember me I was the guy carrying around a nice looking chinese sks.

But now that I think back on it that show did kind of suck. The one part that I found cool was the 3 hot chicks manning the table that was raffling off some sort of AR rifle, good sales technique I have to say:cool:.

gunconnection

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2008
    And many of you guys ask me why I don't do gun shows. It's simple, the promoters don't want to put forth the effort that many of us dealers try to put forth. When I used to do shows things were different. It seems to me that the morale among dealers is low, now. I believe it to be because the promoters aren't trying to make the shows more interesting, not just for the customers, but for the dealers too. Dealers like to see neat stuff too, not just the same guns and the same customers over and over.
    New customers, vendors,& dealers are a must to keep gun shows alive in MD.
    The P.G. county show was my favorite for years. Silverado Promotions used to do a great job of pulling in not just gun dealers, but lots of parts and accessories vendors also. Not to mention, 3,000 to 4,000 customers per weekend. I can remember once seeing Iron Brigade Armory there, that was cool,since they are from the Carolina's. As a dealer, I found it very cool to get to talk to all of the different vendors and dealers alike. As a dealer, getting to talk to other dealers & vendors helps us get new ideas. Which helps us keep things interesting for the customers.
    I have been open for almost a year now and have never had a gun show promoter call me to do a show yet. I can remember the promoters used to call us for our business, not the other way around.
    Many people do not realize how much money and effort it takes to do a show.
    There is a lot of additional expenses for a dealer or vendor to go to a gun show. Table space, displays, additional help, Fuel, & sometimes even lodging are examples of just a few.
    I hope one day things change for the better when it comes to MD gun shows.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    Yup, that was me. I remember you. I eneded up not getting that handguard because it was a different species of wood.

I noticed those chicks too:)

Dude! I think talked to you today! your russian sks had a plastic hand guard over the gas tube and you just bought or were buying a wood one to replace it with. I you remember me I was the guy carrying around a nice looking chinese sks.

But now that I think back on it that show did kind of suck. The one part that I found cool was the 3 hot chicks manning the table that was raffling off some sort of AR rifle, good sales technique I have to say:cool:.

tigmaned

Feb 25, 2007
    Crofton
    well i was going to get up on sunday and go toit, but not sure i will now. i am looking for a good price on primers and 17hmr ammo. but maybe i should stick with the online places then.
    to the gun dealer, i know there is more money to do a gun sho,. but the last few shows i have been to i see the same old guns with higher prices every year? why do gun dealers sit on a gun for so long? seems better to make a little less profit and get rid of it.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    well i was going to get up on sunday and go toit, but not sure i will now. i am looking for a good price on primers and 17hmr ammo. but maybe i should stick with the online places then.

Save your gas and money.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Glad I got sidetracked at home depot pricing things for the house and didnt go. Next week I am going to Chantilly though!

LeadPumper

Jul 20, 2008
    Upper Marlboro show...

Well it wasn't a complete waste of time... my brother and I spent more time catching up with old friends than doing any actual shopping... (Norton consequently reminding me I wasn't a member on this forum... DOH!)

I spent more money buying knives from custom knife makers 'Blind Horse Knives' then gun stuff, oh well...

-LeadPumper

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    We went up there today. There was a dealer selling TT-33's for $250 which I didn't think was a bad deal at all. Most of the other prices were a bit nutz. I did pick up 4 stripper clips with 24 rounds of K31 ammo for $32. A bit high but I really wanted the clips. I can't believe how much Mac-10's are going for now. :sad20: The AR-15/M16 collection was AMAZING!! I was drooling on the prototype/salesmanes sample the guy had.

Pay2Play

Jul 3, 2008
    Gambrills
    My wife and I went there today. It was my first time going to a gun show, so for me it wasn't as bad as it was for those that actually have something to compare it to. I was tempted to pickup a pistol grip Mossberg 500 for $300, but decided not to. Only thing I purchased was a little fold-away knife for the wife. Oh yeah, and I joined the NRA.

TonyB

Feb 18, 2007
    Annapolis
    Glad I got sidetracked at home depot pricing things for the house and didnt go. Next week I am going to Chantilly though!

Bingo! Although I got sidetracked with, get this...a broken pinky toe! It actually sucks much worse than it sounds. :tdown: I'd post a pic, but I haven't figured that part of this forum out yet. :innocent0

I'm going to be in Fairfax Station next Sat helping a friend with some car work and hope to be wrapped up in time to head to Chantilly; how late does it run on Sat? I'll dry fire a few handguns, but would like to buy a rifle/shotgun for around the farm.
    If anyone sees a 6', 190 blond guy limping around...don't step on my foot! :o

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    LMT "machined billet" lowers (they must be, the guy said so) for $499, and CMMG "cast" lowers (same dealer.) for $289. This was one of the more reputable dealers (White Marsh, which surprised me).

Good help is hard to find :innocent0

The gun show help isn't exactly the sharpest and most knowledgable.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Hey guys - this is my very first post on this forum that I just found today.

I went to the Silverado Gun Show on Saturday and overall was a bit disappointed. I grew up in Nebraska and used to go to a gun show in Colby, KS that was 3-4 times bigger than this one...then again, that was 20-25 years ago.

I was a bit disappointed in the fact that I was looking for a couple of specific things that I couldn't find, but also because the gun prices overall seemed to be outside of what I felt I wanted to pay.

One of the specific guns I was looking for was an older Marlin 39A .22 rifle - smooth stocks. I didn't see a single one. I also didn't see even one Winchester model 1886 lever action rifle. I have one, and I wanted to see what else is out there and how much they are going for.

The one gun I did see that I was really interested in was a S&W Model 27-2 with a 6" barrel, but it was on the table for $875, and even though it was in good shape, that's well outside of the current market for that. I had a line on a private sale for an early 80s 27-3 with an 8" barrel for $450 that is also in excellent condition, and I contacted the guy when I came home and told him I'd take it.

I wish I could go to Chantilly this coming weekend, but I can't - I have other plans that won't allow it.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    JD's right.

Sorry took a bit to get my act together. I'm Leadpumper's brother and was pleasantly surprised to see Norton there.

Hi Rob,

Glad to see you made it over here. i think you'll like the place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    sstrum

Latest threads

Top Bottom