• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abcabc

Nov 30, 2015
    Hey guys,

I just got a job offer for a place in Alexandria (right off of 395 near the King St area) and had a question about cars and the dmv (or mva, however you want to call it).

I know I have to register my cars down there within a short amount of time. BUT, I just retitled a car (gift form from my father to me) and also had historic tags put on it (it's a 1996). From looking at the VA DMV website, it looks like their 'historic' cars are 25 years or older but MD is 20 years or older.

If a car is registered Historic in MD, can it transfer to be historic in VA?

There is no way this car will pass emissions or any kind of inspection. It's a 96 honda accord (POS) that I use to just put around town and so the gf can have her own car. The car's KBB value is about 600 bucks and therefore not worth too much hassle.

Hansohn Brothers

Jul 3, 2012
    Recommend you call DMV. However, based on your decription, I wouldn't bother bringing it to VA since you won't be able to drive it on VA tags without passing inspection.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Does Va. even do emission tests?:shrug: Doesn't seem like it. Their inspections are also nowhere near as involved as Md. from what I've heard.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If the car is over 20 years old, it won't need Emissions inspection. Also, Virginia is pretty strict about historic tags. You will still need a safety inspection, but if it can't pass one here, you really shouldn't be driving it in the first place.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Does Va. even do emission tests?:shrug: Doesn't seem like it. Their inspections are also nowhere near as involved as Md. from what I've heard.

Shoot, back in the day, when I lived in Virginia, we had to get our cars inspected every 6 months. Headlights, taillights, turn signals, horn, mirrors, seatbelts, they would take off a tire and look at the brakes, usually the left front. And, they would stick a probe up your tail pipe and check your exhaust.

You used to see people waiting in line along the road outside of inspection places Monday thru Friday. The police would pull you over if your inspection sticker wasn't current and give you a ticket. The police would also check your county sticker to make sure that it was up to date too, if not you had to go pay your personal property taxes in order to get your county sticker, after paying your fine for an out of date county sticker.

The auto inspections were mostly safety equipment checks and it helped to prevent someone from running a beater on the roads.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I don't miss the bi-annual state inspection. Had one shop off of Pohick Rd. try to fail me for condensate out the tailpipe (a November morning), on a motor with less than 1200 miles on it.

Ahh, good times.

SpecialJ79

Feb 20, 2013
    SoMD
    Va emissions testing is only for car "garaged" in certain NoVa counties. Fairfax and Loudon I believe

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

abcabc

Nov 30, 2015
    i consider that an abuse of the historic tag
    but thats me

Yeah but it keeps the car on the road and I'm following the letter of the law.

If the car is over 20 years old, it won't need Emissions inspection. Also, Virginia is pretty strict about historic tags. You will still need a safety inspection, but if it can't pass one here, you really shouldn't be driving it in the first place.

The car is safe to drive and be in an accident, it just has some lights held in with mechanics wire, misfiring a little bit, and is way louder than it should be. Tires are still good, once they go, this car is going to the junkyard, might keep the hood for a target at my house.

That's good about the emissions though.

mdram

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2011
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    Yeah but it keeps the car on the road and I'm following the letter of the law.

are you?
    better look again

A vehicle registered as historic cannot be used for general daily transportation, or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways. It can only be used in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses. A trailer does not qualify for historic registration.

abcabc

Nov 30, 2015
    are you?
    better look again

A vehicle registered as historic cannot be used for general daily transportation, or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways. It can only be used in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses. A trailer does not qualify for historic registration.

Yes, I've looked plenty of times.

It is to putt around town when it is needed. Not on a daily basis. It will be used for occasional use. I will not use it primarily for transportation of people or property on highways, but that doesn't mean I can never transport people or property on highways. It is not a trailer.

mdram

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2011
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    Yes, I've looked plenty of times.

It is to putt around town when it is needed. Not on a daily basis. It will be used for occasional use. I will not use it primarily for transportation of people or property on highways, but that doesn't mean I can never transport people or property on highways. It is not a trailer.

so how many parades and shows has it been in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom