• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    I only have 2 Glocks. A G19 and a G21.
    Both shoot great. Neither ever has any malfunctions.

When field stripping the G21 for cleaning, upon removing the slide, the guide rod & spring assembly literally falls out. Like it doesn't have enough tension? There's barely any tension when placing the guide rod back into the semi circle cutout on the barrel. Never a problem chambering a round by racking or slide release.

The G19, I have to compress the spring with my finger, then pull up on the guide rod to remove. It seems much tighter in position than the 21.

Both still have the factory plastic/nylon/whatever material guide rods.

I found stainless steel guide rod and spring assembly, in both 18# and 21# versions, with a quick Google.

Will this "fix" the issue, or is it not an issue and should be left alone?

BTW, barrels, slides, frames, everything, is factory Glock number matching parts

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    How many rounds were on that recoil spring assembly? Have you had the pistol since new? Gen 3 or 4? Recoil spring assemblies should be replaced at 2,500 to 3,000 rounds.

There was a poster in another thread that claimed one of his pins was sheared. He didn't know nomenclature, and the descriptions of the problem were all over the map. That said, a recoil spring that is worn can contribute to a cracking a locking block and/or the locking block pin due to excessive slide force when returning to battery.

RSAs are $5 parts for Gen 3 guns and $12 for Gen 4s. Buy a couple and replace them regularly. Don't waste your money on aftermarket guide rods.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Just got out my 21 and looked at it. You have to be careful, there is a ledge that guiderod/spring assembly can sit on, just above the cutout for the guiderod. Once mine is in the proper seat, it is in there snug, but if it isn't, it sits on that ledge loosely.

Like Kevp says, it could be a weak spring, but just check it to see if it is sitting properly.

Good Luck!

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    This is completely normal especially for Gen 3 and older and not a problem as long as you are fitting it back in the correct position on reassembly.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Sorry guys. It is a Gen3.

I make sure that it isn't on the "looser" ledge, or groove.when reassembling but it sure seems to not be there when disassembled.

This gun has 1250 rounds through it, that's it.

It doesn't seem to affect anything but just doesn't seem right that it falls out when field stripping it.

I guess the factory replacement guide rod/spring assembly is fine to use, rather than any aftermarket stainless steel one?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    It is normal in a Glock for the guide rod to "jump up" onto the higher ledge after reassembly.

Completely normal.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I only have 2 Glocks. A G19 and a G21.
    Both shoot great. Neither ever has any malfunctions.

When field stripping the G21 for cleaning, upon removing the slide, the guide rod & spring assembly literally falls out. Like it doesn't have enough tension? There's barely any tension when placing the guide rod back into the semi circle cutout on the barrel. Never a problem chambering a round by racking or slide release.

The G19, I have to compress the spring with my finger, then pull up on the guide rod to remove. It seems much tighter in position than the 21.

Both still have the factory plastic/nylon/whatever material guide rods.

I found stainless steel guide rod and spring assembly, in both 18# and 21# versions, with a quick Google.

Will this "fix" the issue, or is it not an issue and should be left alone?

BTW, barrels, slides, frames, everything, is factory Glock number matching parts
    Is this a Gen 3 or 4? Never had any issue with any of mine including my Gen 4 G21.

cotman68

Feb 21, 2010
    Stewartstown, Pa
    I only own 2 glocks myself CHEVELLE .My 21 is a gen 2 with about 6,000rds and my 19 is a gen4 bout 300 rds. The RSA is definitely lighter in the 21 bout didn't need to change it till 3,500 rds. They are cheap couldn't hurt to get one and compare you'll need it soon enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom