• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmbstyle

Sep 22, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    So I recently received my Silencerco 22 Sparrow and I noticed it was a bit louder than I expected. I mounted it to both my 10/22 and 22/45 and ran it with subsonic ammo. I would compare the noise level to my Glock 17 with a Octane HD shooting 147 grn ammo. Is this how 22 suppressors are suppose to be?

Thanks

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    After the first shot, it should be quieter than that. Especially from the 10/22
    I would take it back where I got it and have it checked out.

honda53s

Ultimate Member
    May 4, 2009
    Baltimore County
    So I recently received my Silencerco 22 Sparrow and I noticed it was a bit louder than I expected. I mounted it to both my 10/22 and 22/45 and ran it with subsonic ammo. I would compare the noise level to my Glock 17 with a Octane HD shooting 147 grn ammo. Is this how 22 suppressors are suppose to be?

Thanks

To be a 100% honest, I did the same thing with my .22... I did a video of my first shots and it was shocking how loud it was... I shot my suppressed 9mm directly after it and I swear my 9mm is quieter.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    I would expect the pistol to be slightly louder than the 10/22. Mine on a savage bolt action I can hear the bullet hit the paper and then the berm.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Doesn't sound right. I've never heard a "loud" 22 can. K baffles are quieter, but mono core cans usually quiet down after a shot or two. My sealed AAC pilot is about as loud as a pellet gun on most hosts. It's slighly louder on my Glock 17 with advantage arms 22 conversion.

Hopefully silencerco sorts it out for you.

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    Are you shooting subsonic .22 ammo?

Edit: nevermind. Just reread your post. If you were shooting it outdoors in cold weather that may have something to do with it.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Other then than the FRP, it should be stupid quiet. let us know know what happens....

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    Not mine, the cycling of the gun is louder than shooting it .... of course from behind the gun.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Interesting. I've shot both K baffle and monocore .22 silencers...quieter than a 158gr suppressed 9mm for sure.

Weather would be a factor in the projectile going trans- or super-sonic. Try some CCI Quiet to rule out projectile breaking the sound barrier.

honda53s

Ultimate Member
    May 4, 2009
    Baltimore County
    What ammo? What environment?

It was CCI Subsonic HP 40 grain. I left Duffy's last Thursday at 6:00pm.. If I arrived home at 6:30, I was shooting off my front porch by 6:32. I live on a farm with no animals. ;)

I am going to pick up some different ammo tomorrow. I will let you know if that changes anything. I am wondering if I got a bad batch?

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    I think the weather has this kind of effect on .22lr ammo. I shot my new GM22 from Gemtech last weekend and the Gemtech subsonic anmo sounded as though it was going supersonic. Thr CCI quiet ammo was ridiculously quiet. It was 18F at the time.

honda53s

Ultimate Member
    May 4, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I think the weather has this kind of effect on .22lr ammo. I shot my new GM22 from Gemtech last weekend and the Gemtech subsonic anmo sounded as though it was going supersonic. Thr CCI quiet ammo was ridiculously quiet. It was 18F at the time.

If you send me your email, I actually took a video of my first shots fired.

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    Most 1/2-28 threaded rifles have standard "AR" threadingwhich is too long for a 22LR can. Different companies make 1/4" precision ground spacers to put behind the can in this situation. Basically, the muzzle is too close to the blast baffle which renders the first chamber ineffective. I have had several spacers, and settled on the one Gemtech makes. It is the nicest one by far, and isn't expensive. You can order it on their site www.gem-tech.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom