msp-2.jpg
      76.6 KB · Views: 651

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    So, what's an "Intercept Device" ?

Law enforcement agencies in the State shall register with the Department of State Police all electronic, mechanical or o​ther devices whose design renders them primarily useful for the purpose of the surreptitious interception of:

Wire;
    Oral; or
    Electronic communications.

The devices must be owned by the law enforcement agency, or possessed by or in the control of the agency, their employees or agents.

From the MSP web site.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    so, MSP has to report their ownership of intercept devices to..... themselves?

Stingrays really bother me due to their potential for misuse. Would a FOIA request result in a list of agencies in MD and the devices they own?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I'm pretty sure Mont Co and Baltimore have them.

I would assume most of the larger dept.'s do.

No idea about a FOIA request.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    There should be an injunction brought against MSP to prevent them from taking the system down, until they provide a work around for the maintenance, for those that A) want to make a purchase for those three days and b) have transfers that will be completed those three days.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Have outages been a regular thing, or is this an anomaly?

If regular, would it be helpful to those working in the courts to restore our rights if they could provide a log of when the automated application portal was unavailable?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    This is maintenance related. I think an outage connotes something not planned.

It has happened before, but it’s not frequent IIRC

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I only had the screen grabs that I posted in the OP.

MSP needs to do a much better job of organizing and retaining advisories on the web site.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    There should be an injunction brought against MSP to prevent them from taking the system down, until they provide a work around for the maintenance, for those that A) want to make a purchase for those three days and b) have transfers that will be completed those three days.

Really? I am annoyed at the laws we have to follow, but let’s be slightly realistic here, crap has to be maintained. Whether it is improving things for usability, security or ease of future maintenance. A three day outage for the system for applying for a license once or twice a year is hardly some major infringement. The law itself is 10,000x worse than that they have to reflect reality.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I wish they could do this stuff at night and on weekends, but I’m guessing whatever they are doing is either a hardware upgrade or a security improvement. They should have a mirror site to prevent outages, but maybe resources are scarce and they have no alternative .

MSP is a bit behind on state of the art in IT infrastructure.

As I pointed out, it’s only the HQL portion of the site. The 77r eportal is nof affected.

Sucks I know but I’m guessing MSP is not sophisticated enough to have a fault tolerant IT infrastructure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom