• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Fox123;51993 He is a RINO and we are better off with a democrat than a RINO. You are gonna get the same thing and at least with a democrat you can trust they mean what they say they want to do and more importantly the other republicans won’t be afraid to fight against them.[/QUOTE said:
    A RINO is still a lesser evil than a Democrat.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Mine also came from Mr. Landon. Oddly enough it came to my junk folder :lol2:
    Here is my response to him, not that it will get to him.

Mr. Landon,

Thank you for your note.

I respectfully disagree that due process is protected under this law. Punishment (property taken) is allowed before any legal determination is found by a court. Ensured by the 4th Amendment, due process protects seizures of privately owned property until or unless someone is found to be a danger to society by a court of law; after they've had the chance to defend themselves against charges. Innocent until proven guilty.

Also, the person (not the weapon) should be addressed when these concerns are raised. Under this law, if somebody has been reported as being a potential threat, the state comes and seizes that persons firearms and ammunition. What about their car? What about knives? Razor blades? Baseball bats? Items which could be used to make explosives such as gasoline? All of these things can be, AND ALREADY ARE, used by people to commit suicide and intentionally injure/kill others by criminals. But no, only take the guns, leave the real threat in place (potentially more angry because his property was just taken). Why? If we are truly concerned with what these folks could potentially do, why not confiscate everything they possess which could be used to hurt others? Why not place the person under control? After all, the issue is the person, not the tool.

Nope, this is nothing but another attack on citizen's 2nd Amendment rights; being cloaked as "common sense" and "reasonable". Seems pretty funny these laws are being proposed and/or passed in many states around the country. And every one is being financed by Michael Bloomsburg's "Everytown for Gun Safety", the most anti gun rights and anti 2nd Amendment groups in the country.

While it sounds and seem reasonable to the uninitiated and uninformed voters, it's as plain as day to every gun owner and gun rights group. Sorry, we're informed and recognized this travesty for what it is. I voted for Gov Hogan in 2014 and every Republican gubernatorial candidate since I was old enough to vote. After seeing Hogan surrounded by "Moms Demand Action" folks (another rabidly anti 2A group) during the signing of this un-Constitutional law, smiling like he was in his glory, I've come to know who's side Larry Hogan stands with and it's not mine. He think he can win without gun owners? We'll see. He has lost my respect, my support, and my vote. I hope he reflects on his stance on this issue when he loses his bid this fall.

Please feel free to share this with the Governor if you think he even cares at this point.

Regards,
    Bisleyfan44
    Salisbury, MD

Excellent response. I agree with you. That said, I will vote for Hogan again. I’d rather a RINO than a leftist nut like Cuomo, Jerry Brown, or O’Malley. We’d be in much worse shape with a nutty leftist in office.

JaegerJason

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 1, 2018
    The internal polling has been completed and it says he won't be needing Deplorable Bitter Clinger votes to win his reelection bid.

Are you kidding? Judging by the comments I've seen in MDS, he's still getting their votes. Marylanders are a special type of stupid.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Bisleyfan44, I also liked your polite but unyielding response to the spin from Hogan's office. You raised an important point (that I've seen at least SG discuss in the past) which is the potential psychological harm and stress resulting from depriving property from a gun owner on the suspicion that they need mental health treatment. Which of course highlights the hypocrisy ... they don't really care about the individual ... they care about passing a flawed gun confiscation bill because it gives the appearance of them "doing something."

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    Here is the (canned) response from Gov Hogans ofc regarding my e-mail about the various bits of anti-firearms, anti-2A, legislation. Note the use of the term 'common sense policies' when it comes to his support of the legislation.... interestingly it is the same term used by the various gun grabbers... it makes one wonder, eh :?

""
    Dear Mr. xxxx:
    Thank you for your recent correspondence to Governor Hogan regarding laws governing the use of firearms in Maryland. The Governor appreciates your input and has asked me to respond on his behalf. As Deputy Chief of Staff, I oversee Maryland State Police, the state agency charged with registering and regulating firearms.
    As you may know, prior to the governor taking office, Maryland had already enacted some of the most stringent gun laws in the nation. In the current session of the Maryland General Assembly, there has not been any proposed legislation to implement new or extended waiting periods for the purchase of firearms, change the legal age restrictions for the purchase of firearms, or ban specific models or categories of firearms or ammunition.
    Governor Hogan supports the Second Amendment, and is also supportive of common sense policies to prevent individuals with mental illnesses or a violent criminal background from harming themselves or others with a firearm. In February, the Governor announced support for several targeted initiatives to protect Maryland citizens, including: legislation allowing family members or law enforcement to petition the court for an order that would prohibit an individual from possessing firearms or ammunition if they were deemed by a judge to be a danger to themselves or others; legislation to strengthen and clarify current law to prohibit an individual convicted of domestic violence from possessing firearms; and legislation that would prohibit the purchase, possession, or use a rapid fire trigger activator, also known as a "bump stock."
    When considering this and any proposed legislation addressing constitutional rights, the Hogan administration has consistently urged the Maryland General Assembly to require stringent due process, and will continue to do so. Than you again for sharing your concerns with the Governor. Being responsive to your concerns is a top priority of the Hogan Administration.
    Sincerely,

Walter F. "Pete" Landon
    Director, Governor's Office of Homeland Security
    Deputy Chief of Staff to Governor Hogan ""

It appears that someone didn't proof read!
    "than you"

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    Mine also came from Mr. Landon. Oddly enough it came to my junk folder :lol2:
    Here is my response to him, not that it will get to him.

Mr. Landon,

Thank you for your note.

I respectfully disagree that due process is protected under this law. Punishment (property taken) is allowed before any legal determination is found by a court. Ensured by the 4th Amendment, due process protects seizures of privately owned property until or unless someone is found to be a danger to society by a court of law; after they've had the chance to defend themselves against charges. Innocent until proven guilty.

Also, the person (not the weapon) should be addressed when these concerns are raised. Under this law, if somebody has been reported as being a potential threat, the state comes and seizes that persons firearms and ammunition. What about their car? What about knives? Razor blades? Baseball bats? Items which could be used to make explosives such as gasoline? All of these things can be, AND ALREADY ARE, used by people to commit suicide and intentionally injure/kill others by criminals. But no, only take the guns, leave the real threat in place (potentially more angry because his property was just taken). Why? If we are truly concerned with what these folks could potentially do, why not confiscate everything they possess which could be used to hurt others? Why not place the person under control? After all, the issue is the person, not the tool.

Nope, this is nothing but another attack on citizen's 2nd Amendment rights; being cloaked as "common sense" and "reasonable". Seems pretty funny these laws are being proposed and/or passed in many states around the country. And every one is being financed by Michael Bloomsburg's "Everytown for Gun Safety", the most anti gun rights and anti 2nd Amendment groups in the country.

While it sounds and seem reasonable to the uninitiated and uninformed voters, it's as plain as day to every gun owner and gun rights group. Sorry, we're informed and recognized this travesty for what it is. I voted for Gov Hogan in 2014 and every Republican gubernatorial candidate since I was old enough to vote. After seeing Hogan surrounded by "Moms Demand Action" folks (another rabidly anti 2A group) during the signing of this un-Constitutional law, smiling like he was in his glory, I've come to know who's side Larry Hogan stands with and it's not mine. He think he can win without gun owners? We'll see. He has lost my respect, my support, and my vote. I hope he reflects on his stance on this issue when he loses his bid this fall.

Please feel free to share this with the Governor if you think he even cares at this point.

Regards,
    Bisleyfan44
    Salisbury, MD

Same question, was the misspelled word in the same email?

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    What a diaper full-load of chit that is . How will i protect myself from people like Hogan and the rest of the anti-gun folks . The elephant is the guns and they will take one bit every so often till they finish off the elephant .

I say that in the nicest way as not to be deemed crazy . Gotta be careful nowadays .:rolleyes::mad54:

Move to free America!! I'm counting the days!!

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Somebody asked for a BS detector?

1242749315_bullshit_amplifier-detector.gif

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Walter F. "Pete" Landon
    Director, Governor's Office of Homeland Security
    Deputy Chief of Staff to Governor Hogan

So Maryland has a city with over 300 murders a year and our director of homeland security still has a job?

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    If the HPRB overturned every decision of the MSP it would be s pittance. We're talking maybe 120. The HPRB is bait to get you to vote for Hogan. Because in short, it makes no real difference.

Also, if there was a Democrat as governor, the bills passed would be crazy and more easily overturned. I'm not sure by helping with these bills we don't do ourselves more damage. Just some thoughts.

True on both accounts. I struggle with making bills less onerous vs. letting them pass laws about the integrated fully semi-automatic assault clipazine with the stock thingy that goes up, and then just taking them to court. If judges could be counted on the follow the law, I'd let everyone of their fustercluck bills go through. It's a real shame that Maryland continues to trample the rights of law-abiding citizens instead of punish the actual criminals.

Hogan proved to me he is a prick by signing 1302. He could have just let it go and got the same result. Instead he turned the fork after the beer brothers stuck it in gun owners. I will never forget the image of the moms who need some action surrounding the guvna.

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    So Maryland has a city with over 300 murders a year and our director of homeland security still has a job?

Yep. Maryland has among the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, yet it's largest city leads the US in per capita homicides. Attention gungrabbers: Gun control doesn't work.

East2West

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 20, 2013
    Nomalley, Nobama
    Saying that things would be so much worse with a D Governor implies that Hogan can stop the GA from passing some sort of CA style bill and in general ruining all our lives while burning the constitution.

So either he has the ability to stop the GA and refused to do so with 1302 and 888, or he's powerless to stop them, only 2 options.

The question for the apologists is, why is he any better than a D?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Saying that things would be so much worse with a D Governor implies that Hogan can stop the GA from passing some sort of CA style bill and in general ruining all our lives while burning the constitution.

So either he has the ability to stop the GA and refused to do so with 1302 and 888, or he's powerless to stop them, only 2 options.

The question for the apologists is, why is he any better than a D?

I am no apologist for anyone and I am not trying to persuade anyone or endorse any candidate, but here is my perspective FWIW: As to Hogan the short answer is (1) that he didn't *want* to stop a bump stock bill and a red flag bill because he thought the bills were good State-wide politics and he wants to be reelected and (2) he would not have been able to stop the GA if he wanted to; he could only have only vetoed which he didn't do because of (1). That said, I will say that there is a great deal of difference between having a Gov who is pushing hard on gun control, like O'Malley in 2013, and a Gov. who isn't pushing hard but will sign pretty much anything the GA comes up with (Hogan). We had SB 281 pretty much stopped in the GA in 2013 until O'Malley really twisted arms and came in with the full support of the Executive Branch of the State of Maryland (and all the power that implies). From the trenches, I don't underestimate for a second the importance of that difference. A sitting Gov. is the head of his party in that State and he wields a lot of power in his party. The governing imperative for almost any politician of any party is reelection. Everything else is secondary. Further affiant sayth not.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Welcome to the sausage factory.

Blindfolds and nose plugs for those who shrink from reality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom