• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jaybee

Ultimate Member
    after years of fighting the urge, I am about to bite the bullet.

I have some 223/556 ammo and I figure I'd better buy an Ar-15 before they get banned.

I have used a M16 in the military so I am familiar with them

my hunting days are past and this will be an occasional paper shooter and I got other guns for fun so I don't want to put a lot of money in it.

so should I buy new or used??

new, I figure 5 to 9 hundred. Used I have no idea and I prefer not to buy thru the mail/internet.

what do used AR-15's go for and If somebody has a decent - cheap used AR-15 in 223/556 send me a PM.

BTW - I do have a 1973 Glenfield marlin 60 22LR that has been thru a lot of hands and jams like a SOB that I could offer as a partial trade or maybe sell outright for repair or parts

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    If you can find a new Windham HBAR for $700 or less, that's what I would recommend to friends. The Ruger 556 HBARs are priced a little less and likely solid builds.

Then spend $200 on a SOTAR Armorer's class to get it up to spec.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    after years of fighting the urge, I am about to bite the bullet.

I have some 223/556 ammo and I figure I'd better buy an Ar-15 before they get banned.

I have used a M16 in the military so I am familiar with them

my hunting days are past and this will be an occasional paper shooter and I got other guns for fun so I don't want to put a lot of money in it.

so should I buy new or used??

new, I figure 5 to 9 hundred. Used I have no idea and I prefer not to buy thru the mail/internet.

what do used AR-15's go for and If somebody has a decent - cheap used AR-15 in 223/556 send me a PM.

BTW - I do have a 1973 Glenfield marlin 60 22LR that has been thru a lot of hands and jams like a SOB that I could offer as a partial trade or maybe sell outright for repair or parts

Where are you located? I've got two that I will be listing in the classifieds shortly.

They are not cheap, but they are solid rifles and they both have optics on them.

Last edited:

GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD
    If you are only going to have one, I would go with the LaRue Ultimate Upper kit.

http://www.larue.com/larue-ultimate-ar-15-upper-kit

Then a decent lower. I just got a Spikes Snowflake color filled receiver (from B.B. Pawn)and it’s great quality. With a lower parts kit it’s less than $200.

The Larue kit with trigger and furniture is about $800

A little more than you want but I think it’s worth it.

If you can find a new Windham HBAR for $700 or less, that's what I would recommend to friends. The Ruger 556 HBARs are priced a little less and likely solid builds.

Then spend $200 on a SOTAR Armorer's class to get it up to spec.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

MDS IP JLowesGuns has HBAR's for $599.
    He is in Northeast- just off I-95, just past Susquehanna/Toll plaza

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    If you are only going to have one, I would go with the LaRue Ultimate Upper kit.

http://www.larue.com/larue-ultimate-ar-15-upper-kit

Then a decent lower. I just got a Spikes Snowflake color filled receiver (from B.B. Pawn)and it’s great quality. With a lower parts kit it’s less than $200.

The Larue kit with trigger and furniture is about $800

A little more than you want but I think it’s worth it.

Then you pay him the difference of what he wants to spend. Christ.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If you are in Md, used won't be that old in all likelihood. Not older than 2013 anyways. Make sure you get a hell of a price on it, otherwise, buy new.

chino101

Jan 12, 2011
    For a first Ar-15, I would suggest getting a new one with a warranty. I would hate to buy a problem gun from someone. Once you familiar with one and know what to look for, and how one should "feel" then buying used can be an option.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    A little sensitive are we?!
    LOL not at all. But I love people like you who go above and beyond someone's price range and simply say "it's worth it". It's worth it to whom? You, yeah. But maybe not to the person who lists a fcking price range they say they want to afford.

GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD
    LOL not at all. But I love people like you who go above and beyond someone's price range and simply say "it's worth it". It's worth it to whom? You, yeah. But maybe not to the person who lists a fcking price range they say they want to afford.

Sure sounds like it. I didn’t think $100 over was too drastic. Especially considering it could easily be at the $900 cap.
    And yeah it’s worth it to me. It’s a forum where people discuss and state opinions. Not a fact book. Get over yourself and go bully somewhere else.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Sure sounds like it. I didn’t think $100 over was too drastic. Especially considering it could easily be at the $900 cap.
    And yeah it’s worth it to me. It’s a forum where people discuss and state opinions. Not a fact book. Get over yourself and go bully somewhere else.
    Yes dear.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Impossible! They procreate the in your safe! Trust me I know!

Yup. Like the line goes from Jurassic Park, nature finds a way. Doesn’t matter if it is one, it’ll knock itself up and before you know it, you’ll open your safe and there’ll be baby ARs, teenage ARs and even granddaddy ARs in there.

I got a lower a year before the election thinking just in case they get banned. ARs didn’t appeal to any of me except maybe the little boy that was raised with 80s action movies. But, I was pissed I didn’t get in to owning guns until post 2013 and I couldn’t own classics like an M1A1. Not going to happen to me now that I know better! No sir!!!

I found parts for cheap, because of course I get all of the ads and stuff in my email in box (a sucker born every minute)...so I figure, well...why not? I didn’t have ANY semi-auto centerfire rifles. It was highly satisfying to build, but I still took my 20” HBAR to the range filled with disdain and disgust for myself. Expecting to use a box or two of ammo and then go stick it back with my other guns and probably not take it back out for a LONG time.

I realized when the bolt locked back on round 10 (because I only had a couple of 10 round mags) I had a HUGE crap eating grin on my face. I LOVE these things. Fun to build, fun to shoot and not hard/expensive to build a really accurate rifle. Since then I’ve added a couple more lowers, one built in to an AR pistol, built another upper myself and most of a 6.5 Grendel build and picked up an AR-10 lower for a future build.

If I have to make some snap purchases in the next couple of months with a ban coming down the road (if!), I’ll probably add on another lower or two of both AR-15 and AR-10s if I am looking at what I need to last me a life time and hopefully can pass on to my kids some day (I have 3).

That is also a thought. If you want a shooter, get a full rifle. If you only want to hedge your bets on the future, pick up an AR-15 lower or two. You can find them as low as $50 with typical MD prices in the $70-120 range. Can only build it as a heavy barreled AR if in .223/5.56 in Maryland. I know I am at least a year or two or maybe even three or four away from building that AR-10 as I want to do it right and there are several more guns I want/need to invest in first and my wife is finally cracking on the handgun thing, which I feel like means I need to invest in 2-3 handguns in the next couple of years, which is going to soak up all of my long gun purchase money.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Impossible! They procreate the in your safe! Trust me I know!

I think you may be on to something.

There is a No Oiling Your Firearm law taking place up North.

Everyone knows procreation is no fun without lubrication.

Keep the guns dry and there won't be any safe sex.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Attachments

• lucy.jpg
      lucy.jpg
      44.3 KB · Views: 265

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads