• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    AlanInSilverSpring;4904201[B said:
    ]Searched for about a half hour and couldn't find what they were made of.[/B]

In my search to find what the shot is made of I came across a couple of those smooth bores

Actually so did I, couldn't fins anything either. If something doesn't specify steel or copper... it's probably lead, best guess.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Actually so did I, couldn't fins anything either. If something doesn't specify steel or copper... it's probably lead, best guess.

Sacrifice one...dump the shot on something hard and tap with a hammer. If they deform easily, they're probably lead.

I forgot......One of the videos reviewing the CCI 22 shot showed the pellets after they shot a plastic milk jug and they made a comment about them being deformed, so yeah should be lead

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    "We don't recommend shooting .22 shot out of the 795."

Just got this short reply from Marlin. They don't say it will cause damage but don't say why they don't advise it either. Could just be because of the cycling issue, but who knows.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Bottom line is a few dozen rounds of it every once in a while are probably fine, but if that's all your going to shoot out if it you may have problems later. Stop overthinking this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Bottom line is a few dozen rounds of it every once in a while are probably fine, but if that's all your going to shoot out if it you may have problems later. Stop overthinking this.

Email I received from Marlin said to call if any more questions, so I did. Guy said basically the same thing - a couple here and there is okay but certainly not as a steady diet.

How is it "overthinking" to want to know what's safe/unsafe to shoot in a particular gun ? They're all different.
    One gun mfg (pistol) said okay to shoot shot shells. Other mfg (rifle) said okay but only VERY sparingly.

You'll have to excuse me if I feel the need for a little more definitive answer than "probably fine". :)

It might just be beneficial to others as well

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I have a Marlin 795, and I got some CCI shotshells I actually meant to give to my Dad for his .22lr revolver for rodents. I will try to remember to test them next time I go to the range, then I'll post. I don't know how the nose capsule will do hitting that feed ramp, but I will give it a go, if I remember.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    I have a Marlin 795, and I got some CCI shotshells I actually meant to give to my Dad for his .22lr revolver for rodents. I will try to remember to test them next time I go to the range, then I'll post. I don't know how the nose capsule will do hitting that feed ramp, but I will give it a go, if I remember.

Thing that would concern me would be the plastic capsule fouling up the barrel

govwontletmebuycoolguns

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 3, 2010
    DPRM
    How would it be any different than plastic from firing sabot's from a rifled slug barrel :shrug:

I'd just recommend cleaning/inspecting the barrel before firing normal 22lr behind it.

govwontletmebuycoolguns

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 3, 2010
    DPRM
    Base is solid on a shotgun sabot...same as a shot cup. Top is hollow.

sabotpile.jpg

I have some cci 22 shot shells in the basement....now gonna have to pull one apart for sh*ts n giggles.

govwontletmebuycoolguns

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 3, 2010
    DPRM
    CCI 22LR Shot Shell:
    IMG_2090.JPG

Bottom of shot capsule is hollow. Also note that the shot capsule is fairly brittle (assume it shatters on firing), and have confirmed that the shot is lead (crushed flat with min effort):
    IMG_2091.JPG

Shot is separated from charge with a paper wad:
    IMG_2092.JPG

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Shoot some already . You wouldn't be overthinking it this much if you didn't really, really want to shoot some . It's a M795 , regularly on sale at Dicks for about a hundred bucks, not a pre-War 39A .

Shoot a 10 pack or two for patterning, and penetration tests on objects that strike your fancy. Then give the bbl a good soak with ( solvent of choice) , and use actual bore brush this one time.

That will get your .22lr shotshell from rifled bore fantasies out of your system, and convince you such a combination is 99.5% useless . ( And pretty marginal for the other 0.5% )

FWIW , when I most recently ( in unnamed geographic location) had cause to have a gunfight with a snake, when .22lr was indicated, I used 40gr RN. Grass was too tall for getting a clear headshot, but went 7/10 for body shots . Mr Snake was incapacitated by the end of the magazine .

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Shoot some already . You wouldn't be overthinking it this much if you didn't really, really want to shoot some . It's a M795 , regularly on sale at Dicks for about a hundred bucks, not a pre-War 39A .

Shoot a 10 pack or two for patterning, and penetration tests on objects that strike your fancy. Then give the bbl a good soak with ( solvent of choice) , and use actual bore brush this one time.

That will get your .22lr shotshell from rifled bore fantasies out of your system, and convince you such a combination is 99.5% useless . ( And pretty marginal for the other 0.5% )

FWIW , when I most recently ( in unnamed geographic location) had cause to have a gunfight with a snake, when .22lr was indicated, I used 40gr RN. Grass was too tall for getting a clear headshot, but went 7/10 for body shots . Mr Snake was incapacitated by the end of the magazine .

Yes. I would say the 0.5% is when Mr. Snake is inside the house (or maybe vehicle) and you don't want to put holes in the walls or floor. Be sure to wear eye protection.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If you don't want to make holes in walls/ roofs , larger cal pistol shot shells are exponentially better.

Yes, I shot enough rats inside of stalls to have a meaningful first hand opinion. The solution starts with a " 4 " . Rimfire shotshells get ignored by the shootee's .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom