what is legal definition of 'transfer' pertaining to mags?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rkutzner

Jul 5, 2013
    Concensus seems to be that 'transfer' does not equal 'transport' when it comes to buying a 30 round AR mag in PA or VA and bringing it back yourself. So what does transfer mean, then? Gifting seems about the only thing left...

Mr H

Banana'd
    Concensus seems to be that 'transfer' does not equal 'transport' when it comes to buying a 30 round AR mag in PA or VA and bringing it back yourself. So what does transfer mean, then? Gifting seems about the only thing left...

Pretty much any form of taking possession of a complete functioning magazine while in the state.

Kits seem to be a grey area and I will not address that as I'm not sure if there is a consensus on that.

Antifeik

May 26, 2013
    I would like to know if this is something illegal as i'm a new member and some say is illegal some say it is not. If a friend of mine that lives in VA buy the "high capacity magazines" them off the internet and give them to me or order them and i pay for them in cash after he receive them, i go down there pick them up, come back to MD. Will this be illegal? Will i be breaking any laws? Thanks in advance.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I would like to know if this is something illegal as i'm a new member and some say is illegal some say it is not. If a friend of mine that lives in VA buy the "high capacity magazines" them off the internet and give them to me or order them and i pay for them in cash after he receive them, i go down there pick them up, come back to MD. Will this be illegal? Will i be breaking any laws? Thanks in advance.

As long as your transaction is out of state, you are fine.

Remember, MD law stops at it's border.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    As long as the transfer, purchase, etc takes place out of state you will be fine. Go to another state, buys the mags, and then come back with said mags. All 100% legal.

Mr H

Banana'd

Nothing is changing in this regard, other than the magazine capacity.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

As others have said, take possession of them out of state and bring them back with no issues.

As for gifting them, that would be illegal as well since you are transferring permanent possession, do that out of state as well.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Pretty much any form of taking possession of a complete functioning magazine while in the state.

Kits seem to be a grey area and I will not address that as I'm not sure if there is a consensus on that.

Most seem to think, that receiving kits in state is fine, building them in state is not (manufacturing?). I tend to lean to the side of error and would agree.

rkutzner

Jul 5, 2013
    Is my link to the Chow case not working?

Link is working. " Transfer is in an ownership context". Nothing about transporting across state lines.

Does seem to cover gifting and anything except YOU buying out of state and YOU bringing it back.

As a citizen who served and wants to keep the law this is satisfactory to me.

bpSchoch

Jan 16, 2009
    Bethesda, MD
    Also remember, if accused, say of transfer within the state, it's not up to you to prove that you did not (transfer), but it's up to the state to prove that you did. In law the burden of proof is always on the accuser. Also we have the 5th amendment that protects us from self incrimination so we are not required to provide anything. (I'm not stating this for people to break the law, but as a reminder of where your rights are if accused)

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    Also remember, if accused, say of transfer within the state, it's not up to you to prove that you did not (transfer), but it's up to the state to prove that you did. In law the burden of proof is always on the accuser. Also we have the 5th amendment that protects us from self incrimination so we are not required to provide anything. (I'm not stating this for people to break the law, but as a reminder of where your rights are if accused)

Rights. What rights?

We also have the 2nd Amendment that's suppose to protect the right to keep and bear arms from government infringement. What's that mean anymore?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom