• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    .223/5.56

Bolt gun and AR. AR matches his experience with the S&W 15-22.

Bolt gun is a primer for the .30-06.

Same round, so less money for various types of ammo.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    I am thinking that you get the youngster out with things you may have and see what piques his interest.

Rifle pistol shotgun. And yeah, you said rifle, but pistol and shotgun can be fun.

For plinking the ar22 he has is a good start, and the rifle sounds good as well.

If he is interested in hunting or general target shooting, then the missing link may be shotgun. Various clay stuff is good, with some movement, speed and coordination. Moves fast to keep interest. And hunting pretty much anything. A nice quality semi, reliable, and maybe not crazy expensive.

If home defense, maybe pistol, or pcc if or when legal/old enough. 9mm is cheap enough for fun.

On rifle, something that could be HD and hunting, though personally a 223/556 wouldn’t be my top choice for deer or larger. Maybe ar10 that gives good all around performance. Recoil isn’t too crazy,’ammo is a little mo spensive though.

Just trying to give a little different tact on what he may be interested in.

357Max

Feb 28, 2019
    Crownsville
    So a member of my wife's family is a young man. His dad never took him out shooting. He has a S&W 15-22 that he has been plinking with. He also has his Grand Dad's Remington 721 in 30-06 (and I saw to it that he received it). He has not shot the Remington yet; I am trying to get him to go to the range me.

Like a lot of young people, he does not have tons of cash. But he has saved enough to get a entry level bolt gun. He is talking about getting a 22 magnum.

I was wondering what you guys thought. I am thinking he should get a caliber that is substantial but not too intimidating, and it should be inexpensive, as I think he would be more likely to shoot. That is almost certainly why he is not shooting the 30-06.

I am thinking one of these rather inexpensive but capable enough calibers, all of which can be had for less than 50 cents a round, or in some cases 25 cents a round
    1. 223 Rem
    2. 7.62x39 (yes - the AK round in a bolt gun)
    3. 6.5 Grendel

Thoughts?

I'm going to deviate some from the prevailing theme, but hey you know what they say about opinions & you asked.

I think a bolt gun is the way to go. Great way to learn marksmanship skills.
    I think a 22WMR would be a let down since he already has the S&W 15-22.
    Also agree the 30-06 might be a bit much to start on for basic marksmanship.

Trying to think from a young mans perspective
    I'd recommend a 6.5 Creedmore. It's like the 308 of his generation. Very low recoil for a very capable cartridge. Due to it's popularity the ammo cost is very reasonable. 6.5 is also quite versatile for precision shooting or hunting.

As for an entry level rifle I have an offer to make you. I'm about to buy a rifle I don't need just to get the scope I really want for my ELR build. The deal is if I buy a Mauser M18 any caliber & I get a 50% off coupon for any Minox optic.

I was going to buy the M18 in 6.5 PRC (think Creedmore Mag) on Friday.
    I don't need it & your thread got me thinking.
    If this young man has saved $350 and is interested. I'll order a M18 in the caliber of his choosing and take the $150+ hit to get the coupon.
    Check out the M18 reviews and share this with him. These have an MSRP of $699 Buds has the 6.5 Creedmore for $649.00 now. https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/47003/mau+m18+65cred+22+5rd

Thanks to a crazy marketing ploy by Blazer/Mauser/Minox
    Euro Optic currently has it on sale for $499.00+ shipping plus the Minox coupon. So look at available calibers on Euro optic. Here: https://www.eurooptic.com/Mauser-M18-Rifles.aspx

M18 Review: https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/review-mauser-m18/247588

The Mauser reviews all seem to agree this is very accurate, very good adjustable trigger, reliable, good detachable mag, and takes Rem 700 scope bases.

I think this is would be a great entry level rifle for $350

If your/He is interested please PM me before the end of the week and we'll figure it out.

If not I hope he gets a rifle he really likes and gets some use out of it at the range.

Another thought would be to take an armorers class with him at SOTAR and you two could build an inexpensive AR together.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Questions:
    1. How far are you shooting?
    2. Can you use bimetal jacket?
    3. Are you planning on hunting?

I know the crowd here is in favor of 5.56x45 - understandably so - but 6.5 Grendel is a superior cartridge in most respects, and you can still build an AR out of it. There are also a fair number of solid bolt gun choices for it (including the Ruger American, which can even take AR mags). You can also plink with it using steel-cased ammo for not much more than 5.56.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    That's a GREAT question; I think his Dad, or perhaps other family members, have made him think AR's are "trouble". A lot of the family members when I show them pictures of my AR's think I am sort of nuts. Kind of a Fudd mentality. His dad claims to be a conservative but is all in for an AR15 ban. Says we don'tr "need" them. I told him by that logic we don't "need" V8 Mustangs.

I am trying to keep the shooting sports alive in the family. I want the kid to learn marksmanship fundamentals and I am hoping his enthusiasm will be contagious.

You guys are asking the right questions though. All feedback appreciated.

So DEFINITELY an AR in 5.56 or 9mm with an optic, main determining factor would be the distance he intends to shoot, and what ranges he has available. Want to keep our rights and traditions alive, then teach folks to handle and shoot AR's, the younger the better. It's truly the best platform to get into most shooting sports, or to build practical proficiency with a rifle. There used to be a large percentage of pro-hunting, anti-tactical gun owners, but they are fading as they either change their mind, or die off. Most anyone under 40 has grown up around ARs, has seen them in video games and movies, and don't really have the same hang-ups as the older generations when it comes to owning one, and is part of the reason they have become so popular, so might as well help keep a good thing going.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    That's a GREAT question; I think his Dad, or perhaps other family members, have made him think AR's are "trouble". A lot of the family members when I show them pictures of my AR's think I am sort of nuts. Kind of a Fudd mentality. His dad claims to be a conservative but is all in for an AR15 ban. Says we don'tr "need" them. I told him by that logic we don't "need" V8 Mustangs.

I am trying to keep the shooting sports alive in the family. I want the kid to learn marksmanship fundamentals and I am hoping his enthusiasm will be contagious.

You guys are asking the right questions though. All feedback appreciated.

So, show him pictures of different ARs.

We wants it, we needs it. Must have the precious:

R20FSSFTWS-2-1024x227.jpg

https://www.windhamweaponry.com/firearms/rifles/223-556-caliber-rifle/

Sirex