• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • svennn

Oct 20, 2017
    I have been getting more into various types of competitive shooting over the last few years.

Next up may be a 3 gun style competition. I'm navigating the MD laws as they apply to an AR15 and I think I'm starting to understand them.

One thing at really concerns me is some sort of retroactive mandatory buy back in the future. I would hate to spend the money then have the state say that unless you owned it before 20XX you must turn it in.

Putting aside all the 2A issues with this, what are the chances the state of MD tries something like this?

Steve

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    We're all worried about this type of possibility. Whether it's legal or not, I can see places trying however it would inevitably be decided in the courts.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Putting aside all the 2A issues with this,

2A is the ONLY issue with this.

A mandatory buy-back is confiscation.
    Anyone who participates should return their bullets first.

The second amendment was written shortly after this event.
    In late 1774, Colonial leaders adopted the Suffolk Resolves in resistance to the alterations made to the Massachusetts colonial government by the British parliament following the Boston Tea Party. The colonial assembly responded by forming a Patriot provisional government known as the Massachusetts Provincial Congress and calling for local militias to train for possible hostilities. The Colonial government exercised effective control of the colony outside of British-controlled Boston. In response, the British government in February 1775 declared Massachusetts to be in a state of rebellion.

About 700 British Army regulars in Boston, under Lieutenant Colonel Francis Smith, were given secret orders to capture and destroy Colonial military supplies reportedly stored by the Massachusetts militia at Concord. Through effective intelligence gathering, Patriot leaders had received word weeks before the expedition that their supplies might be at risk and had moved most of them to other locations. On the night before the battle, warning of the British expedition had been rapidly sent from Boston to militias in the area by several riders, including Paul Revere and Samuel Prescott, with information about British plans. The initial mode of the Army's arrival by water was signaled from the Old North Church in Boston to Charlestown using lanterns to communicate "one if by land, two if by sea".

The first shots were fired just as the sun was rising at Lexington. Eight militiamen were killed, including Ensign Robert Munroe, their third in command.[10] The British suffered only one casualty. The militia were outnumbered and fell back, and the regulars proceeded on to Concord, where they broke apart into companies to search for the supplies. At the North Bridge in Concord, approximately 400 militiamen engaged 100 regulars from three companies of the King's troops at about 11:00 am, resulting in casualties on both sides. The outnumbered regulars fell back from the bridge and rejoined the main body of British forces in Concord.

The British forces began their return march to Boston after completing their search for military supplies, and more militiamen continued to arrive from neighboring towns. Gunfire erupted again between the two sides and continued throughout the day as the regulars marched back towards Boston. Upon returning to Lexington, Lt. Col. Smith's expedition was rescued by reinforcements under Brigadier General Hugh Percy, a future duke of Northumberland styled at this time by the courtesy title Earl Percy. The combined force of about 1,700 men marched back to Boston under heavy fire in a tactical withdrawal and eventually reached the safety of Charlestown. The accumulated militias then blockaded the narrow land accesses to Charlestown and Boston, starting the Siege of Boston.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I have been getting more into various types of competitive shooting over the last few years.

Next up may be a 3 gun style competition. I'm navigating the MD laws as they apply to an AR15 and I think I'm starting to understand them.

One thing at really concerns me is some sort of retroactive mandatory buy back in the future. I would hate to spend the money then have the state say that unless you owned it before 20XX you must turn it in.

Putting aside all the 2A issues with this, what are the chances the state of MD tries something like this?

Steve

With MD, I can almost guarantee that they will not offer to "buy it back"... they will just flat out ban them.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC

Aside: They are not talking about a buy back, it is a confiscation.

To buy/purchase something there must be voluntary consent between two parties.

To "buy back" the purchasing party must have previously owned the item.

[/soapbox]

Sirex