• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Reading else where about revolver preference over small semi auto for EDC, i wonder who here carries a small revolver, like a S&W 642, over a small semi like a G43 and why. If you do carry a revolver, what model?

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    642 when we’re scantily clad on our daily morning 3-miler (in a relatively secluded and sparsely (barely) populated enclave;
    G43, 26 or 19 when out and about, depending upon attire and activity (which in turn depends upon time of year), etc.
    KelTec SUB 2000 in .40 in a discreet pack when traveling but, just acquired a PSA 10.5” AR pistol which amazingly is covered by N.C. CHP and may likely supplant the KelTec (although the wife is savvy enough to ask, “What’s the difference on our ears and performance following discharging that 556 pistol in a hotel room or hallway, vs the KelTec (which can almost be fired without any hearing protection!!!!). D*mn smart woman!

Best o’ success!

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    There's no right or wrong answer...just whatever you feel most comfortable with and can best use under stress.

When I was a LEO and restricted to revolvers, off-duty I carried either a Colt Detective Special or Cobra...usually the Cobra as it was lighter. When I was able to carry a self-loader I would usually carry a Lightweight Commander .45 ACP. Today, if I was carrying...it would most likely be that same Commander, a Defender, Glock 30 or my Kimber Solo Carry 9mm. To my way of thinking I would be well served by any and all...and I still wouldn't feel underarmed in any way if I decided to carry a revolver.

Regardless of what I would choose to carry I would always carry at least one reload and a set of handcuffs should an assailant need to be restrained until law enforcement arrived. But that's just me.

cb51

For most my life I was a dyed in the wool wheel gun guy, but over the last few years I've gone over to the dark side.:D

Before leaving The People's Republik Of Marylandistan, I had sold off all my revolvers, and now in Texas I find myself having fallen in love with the small .380 Ruger LCP. I had a LCP2, but having shot my daughters LCP, I find I like the double action style trigger more for a pocket pistol. I now have a couple of LCP's and keep one on me in a pocket holster in my Wrangler shorts, and one spare 'just in case'.

Out to 20 yards they are accurate on the half size B29 small sillutettes I use, and at 10 yards are minute of soda can or snake accurate. Very light weight in the pocket you can forget about it until it's really needed. Extremely reliable, it's shot everything I've fed it, Remington, Winchester white box, Blazer.

The LCP with one spare mag weighs less than my S&W 637 and one spare speed strip of .38 special ammo. Being flatter, it takes up way less space in the pocket with the pocket holster it comes with.

I love my LCP's.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I'm the odd man out. I alternate between a 4 inch Ruger Security Six or Colt Combat Commander. A buddy of mine here loaned me a S&W Model 37 Airweight that is a joy to carry.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Years ago, when I could legally carry in Maryland, I used to carry either a S&W mdl 36 or mdl 19. (This was late '70s, early '80s.)

Later on, I found my beloved Combat Commander.
    It was easier to conceal (than the 19-4) because it was "flatter".

Today, with reloading a semi-auto being a lot faster (unless you're Jerry Miculek!), I carry (mostly) my S&W Shield.

YMMV.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Don’t own any revolver and the ones I’ve shot I'm not so accurate with, I think it has to do with the trigger pull.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Hammerless revolvers are nice because you can fire them through a pocket without worrying about anything snagging. That's helpful in the winter when it's kind of hard to reach inside a big coat and draw a gun from your belt.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    The only time I would carry a revolver is if it was for a magnum caliber a semi can't handle

Beefcube

Sammich King
    Mar 15, 2011
    Westminster
    I carry a small 9mm when working or running errands, but an ultralight 5 shot 38spl if I'm not worried about anything. Both in custom kydex on the hip.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    When I carry a revolver, it is my SP101. I don't shoot it as well as my S&W revolvers but accurately enough that it will do what I need it to do.

One of my considerations on carry guns is that if I am ever forced to use the gun, I am resigned to losing the gun, if not forever, probably for a very long time. SP101 like almost any Glock is easy to replace and won't break the bank doing so. I would do just about anything to reclaim my gun from evidence but there are many prosecutors who will offer deals to drop charges if you just relinquish your gun. I hate this practice but have seen it happen numerous times. Given the cost of competent attorneys (incompetent attorneys are expensive, competent attorneys are exorbitant) sometimes letting the gun go to save on attorney fees is just the more cost effective way to manage a situation.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Back when you had the choice between large and relatively reliable semis, small snappy and unreliable semis, and revolvers that could be any size, relatively lightweight and reliable, a CCW wheel gun was a lot more valid IMO. Now with a lot of semis that are smaller, thinner, lighter, reliable, and with much greater capacity in 9mm, carrying revolvers is a choice that comes with a lot more tradeoffs. There still can be a purpose for a simple wheelgun, and the smallest of 380s can still be snappy and unreliable, but generally small 9s are the pinnacle of EDC technology, and the way to go for the vast majority.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    This was my exact thought, and I really like revolvers.

even then, then 10mm Glocks compete with them well.

I still bring my 6" .454 out West, but I've often considered trading it in for a 10mm Glock that I would use much more often.

it looks totally ridiculous in a chest holster, but I don't care who stares at me hiking in grizzly bear areas.

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    Depending on the day and the way I'll dress either a 642, P365 or Seecamp .32.

The Seecamp for when I absolutely, possitively cannot print.semi-auto mini goodness.

642 is a nice wheelgun and I shoot it well. Bullitt style holster and it disappears under a vest or jacket and easy to carry all day. I like the utter reliability of a S&W featherweight.

The P365 is by far my EDC. Sig got it right.

So if you have a MD wear & carry it might come down to your daily context, how much do you need to utterly conceal. When I speak in public and I know several hundred eyeballs will be on me is way different than my average daily experiences.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Benefits of carrying a revolver:

1) It will never experience a failure to feed or eject costing you valuable time in a gunfight.

2) No casings to pick up before leaving a scene should the situation warrant.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Benefits of carrying a revolver:

1) It will never experience a failure to feed or eject costing you valuable time in a gunfight.

2) No casings to pick up before leaving a scene should the situation warrant.

3). If your fight goes to the ground, you can stick the snubby in the ribs/belly and still get a bang. Semi's not so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom