• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    My first impression: I shoulda got one of these a long time ago. The TRP was always on one of my back burners but, I go thru phases and another full-size 1911 wasn't really high on my list of priorities.

UDvXFbs.jpg

Something I learned during my Internet research and shopping is that there are two different models of TRP's. The standard TRP (no rail) and the TRP Operator (rail). The standard TRP has a two-piece guide rod, while the TRP Operator has a one-piece guide rod. Both guns have Tritium night sights. The TRP has fixed Novak combat sights, and the TRP Operator has a fully adjustable rear sight. Both come with two seven-round stainless steel mags with slam pads, both have their frames made out of forged steel, and the same goes for the slides. Both have similar G-10 grips, and both have five-inch match grade stainless steel barrels. The TRP weighs 42 oz., while the TRP Operator weighs 45 oz., due to the Picatinny rail. Actually, there are very few differences at all between the two guns. The barrel on the TRP Operator is a heavier bull barrel, as opposed to a standard diameter barrel on the TRP. Most owners report about the same performance in accuracy between the bull and standard barrel, though. It might be fun to do a side-by-side comparison sometime.

XMyjX6l.jpg

If you like adjustable sights, the TRP Operator is the way to go. If you like fixed sights, the standard TRP is what you want. If you want that Picatinny rail for mounting lights and lasers, then the TRP Operator is your choice. Other than that, the guns are pretty much the same in all the areas that count.

31GWrTI.jpg

The first 25! 10 yards, Geco 230gr FMJ

Geco ammunition always seems to perform well in my other 1911's and the TRP was no exception. I always seem to shoot more accurately at 10 yards than 7 (which is weird, I know) but the front sight lines-up better at that distance for me using a standard six-o'clock hold on the target's red dot. The trigger is really nice on the TRP, too. It's neither alarmingly-light nor overly-heavy. I guesstimate somewhere in the 4.5-5 lbs. range. It has nearly zero take-up and is crisp as most of us would want on a duty gun.

G7XJmI3.jpg

25 rounds, 7 yards, S&B 230gr FMJ

One of the things I like to do at 7 yards is see how many out of 25 I can land within the X ring. Considering it was my first time out and it was an indoor range with kinda crappy lighting, I'll take it but, I'm not completely satisfied. I know the TRP is capable of much better. I'm eager to take it outside and have some fun with it.

What else did I learn from the TRP? Well, I thought the front strap checkering on the frame would be more abrasive than it was. Felt good! My shooting hand was no worse for the wear after 100 rounds of factory FMJ and 7 Federal Hydrashok 230gr +P that I tested for functionality and POI.

The TRP is absolutely the tightest-fitting 1911 I've ever owned. No rattles, no looseness whatsoever, yet, the slide cycles silky smooth like a lot of custom-fitted 1911's I've handled in the past. There's no way I'm getting the barrel bushing loose without a barrel bushing wrench, though, and I can't seem to find where the heck I put mine at the moment.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    The TRP looks all business. Interesting that in your 7 yard target, even though the group is tighter, you seemed to pull the shots a bit more than in the 10 yard target. Maybe you shot the latter more slowly.

Overall accuracy seemed great either way. Would be interesting to pull up your Walther PPQ 45 targets and compare.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    The TRP looks all business. Interesting that in your 7 yard target, even though the group is tighter, you seemed to pull the shots a bit more than in the 10 yard target. Maybe you shot the latter more slowly.

Overall accuracy seemed great either way. Would be interesting to pull up your Walther PPQ 45 targets and compare.

I was pretty jazzed to get out and shoot for the first time in about a month. That probably had a little bit to do with it? I haven't had much of a chance to practice and being a brand new gun, I wasn't entirely familiar with its POI either. No complaints, though. It usually takes a few more shots than that to get zeroed-in but the TRP was dead-nuts on it right out of the box.

I remember the first time I fondled a stainless TRP. It was back in 2016 at Lou45's shop and he highly recommended it as one of the best for the $.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I got the TRP Operator last year. Watch the roll pin in the front sight. My Operator backed it out twice now. First time it backed completely out and it's somewhere at Peacemaker. Also, I think a 5 lb trigger pull on a $1500 1911 is not acceptable, but it is standard according to their advertising. I'd like to shoot it more, but it, like every other 10mm 1911 I've owned, sends the brass into low earth orbit.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I got the TRP Operator last year. Watch the roll pin in the front sight. My Operator backed it out twice now. First time it backed completely out and it's somewhere at Peacemaker. Also, I think a 5 lb trigger pull on a $1500 1911 is not acceptable, but it is standard according to their advertising. I'd like to shoot it more, but it, like every other 10mm 1911 I've owned, sends the brass into low earth orbit.

I’ll be surprised if the .45 ACP version does that but thanks for the head’s-up. I’ll keep an eye on it.

I rationalize the 5 lbs. trigger pull by the TRP’s intended purpose: full-size duty pistol. Obviously, SA thought it shouldn’t be too light, yet, still have a nice crispy break to it. I think it’s a nice balance but I wouldn’t complain if it were about 1 lb. less.

Do you have the 6” or the 5” in 10mm?

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Good write up, Zman. The SA TRP is a solid performer for the money. $1500 is not bad for a 1911 of this quality. It's a shame they give you 7round mags for that price.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I’ll be surprised if the .45 ACP version does that but thanks for the head’s-up. I’ll keep an eye on it.

I rationalize the 5 lbs. trigger pull by the TRP’s intended purpose: full-size duty pistol. Obviously, SA thought it shouldn’t be too light, yet, still have a nice crispy break to it. I think it’s a nice balance but I wouldn’t complain if it were about 1 lb. less.

Do you have the 6” or the 5” in 10mm?

I got the 6" version. The 5" version is just the TRP, the 6" is the TRP Operator.

When I'm using Sig's 10mm ammunition, recoil is about the same as 45 ACP from my RIA 1911.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Good write up, Zman. The SA TRP is a solid performer for the money. $1500 is not bad for a 1911 of this quality. It's a shame they give you 7round mags for that price.

$1255 at Engage Armament. I thought that was a solid deal for that pistol! Give Andy or Ben a call if you're interested? I think they have one left for that price.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    $1255 at Engage Armament. I thought that was a solid deal for that pistol! Give Andy or Ben a call if you're interested? I think they have one left for that price.

Thanks for the heads up, but I'm good for now with my Sig1911ES. My next 1911 will be a Commander size one.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I got the 6" version. The 5" version is just the TRP, the 6" is the TRP Operator.

When I'm using Sig's 10mm ammunition, recoil is about the same as 45 ACP from my RIA 1911.

Trying to keep-up with all the different 1911's that SA manufacturers requires almost as much effort as all the different pistols CZ calls a 'Shadow' so I appreciate the clarification. I recently YouTubed a range report on the 10mm TRP Operator and it looks very cool. That would be the one I would also go for if I were in the market for a 10mm.

I have always liked the TRP . Nice write up !!!

Thank you! ;)

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I like the TRP as much for what it is as for what it isn't. It isn't a $3-4k hand-fitted custom job with a 2.5 lbs. trigger that's so awesome it makes you want to sob uncontrollably and forget how much you spent on it. Definitely not that. What it is is a solid, well-built 1911 for less than half the cost of either a Nighthawk, WC, or GI that flat-out gets the job done. I just want to shoot the hell out of it.

PCgr5sA.jpg

Ran another 100 rounds thru the TRP last Saturday afternoon without any issues. I moved the target out to 12 yards, fully expecting my groups to open-up accordingly and...it just didn't happen. Usually, an increase in target distance results in a corresponding increase in group size but, once again, the TRP surprised me.

cNjlJ64.jpg

25 rounds, Geco 230gr FMJ, 12 yards

That was my best 25 round group of the day, again, just trying to get a feel for shooting dynamics. The TRP is still a brand new pistol to me and if there's a couple of things I've learned about 1911's over the years it's that they're all a little different and each one has its own set of unique quirks.

Some TRP owners have experienced the TRP's two-piece full-length guide rod loosening after 100-150 rounds, requiring a quick re-tightening with the included hex wrench. Mine did loosen by about 1/4-turn after the first range trip the week before. This week, though, it didn't loosen at all and I checked it twice: once after 50 rounds and again after 100. Hmmm. The only difference between the two trips to the range was that I did a full field-strip, clean and lube before heading-out (last week) but I doubt if that had anything to do with it. I guess it just wasn't torqued as tight from the factory as I thought it was? Everything else on the TRP was tight as a drum, though.

The TRP's grip safety requires more effort (and a slightly higher grip) to ensure it's fully disengaged, compared to my other 1911's. Not complaining. It's just different but I could see where it might be annoying to some new owners at first. Considering how well the TRP performs, I can definitely forgive it. It's incredibly pleasant to shoot, accurate as hell and 100% reliable with the four brands of factory ammo I've tried so far. ;)

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    My old man has one of these. Damn thing shoots great.

The front stippling is no joke though lol

Thanks! Yes, it's quite a shooter.

The stripling is definitely aggressive but It hasn't bothered me yet. Granted, the most I've put downrange in one session has been about 125 rounds. I'll let you know how bad it is after 250-300.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016

I'm no Steven Spielberg (and I'm definitely no Jerry Miculek) but, here's a video of me shooting pins for the first time with it yesterday. Damn, it was nice outside: low 80's, low humidity, just a great afternoon to take a pistol out for some exercise.

Pumqbsh.jpg

Work has really had a negative impact on my practice time this year so yesterday was range therapy as much as familiarizing with the TRP on something other than a paper target. It was fun! I went thru two boxes of Geco 230gr FMJ and a half box of S&B 230gr FMJ before I even realized it and experienced no issues at all.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    I bought mine used about 15 years ago. I’m not sure the round count but I’m pretty sure it’s alot. Barrel and slide are still tight but the slide has a little bit of movement on the frame. The tritium sights are dim and it sports the idiot scratch. Ok I’ll admit I’m the idiot who scratched it. I did get a good deal on it though. I had thought about sending it back to SA for a refurbish.

I have had some failure to feeds the last few times I shot it. Not sure if the recoil spring is worn out or what.

It was my first real steal hand gun and I shoot it ok. I still have to really concentrate to not pull my shots to the left. It’s the only handgun I own that I do that with.

Attachments

• C4AC4C42-41D3-4E5A-B05A-BEC190E6AF98.jpg
      C4AC4C42-41D3-4E5A-B05A-BEC190E6AF98.jpg
      39.3 KB · Views: 222

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads