• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I've been wanting to post this thread for a while. I finally made time (i.e. shirked my chores) to take some blurry pics:o and make it happen...

Part 1)

When I turned 21 in the summer of 1999, I only had two destinations on my mind. I didn't care about bars, or liquor stores, or strip clubs. First, I had to go to the MVA to get my big boy driver's license, so I could take it to Eastwood Guns in Edgewood, to start paperwork on my Colt 1991A1. :party29:

As a fitting induction into making regulated purchases in MD,:tongue01: I was delayed :o The FFL said it was something like a "penning error," and asked if I had changed my name. There is a story about that...for later.

Anyway...about TWO weeks later :tap: I finally brought home my first handgun.

1991 box.JPG

Aside from a little bit of wear, it looked pretty much the same now as it did then. (Ok, maybe not usually as blurry as that pic :o) I only ever made two modifications.

I installed the "idiot scratch" myself :sign07:
    1991 scratch.JPG

...and borrowed some of my sister's nail polish to highlight the sights:
    1991 sights.JPG
    It's pretty amazing that the nail polish has held up so well for 20 years!

I've purchased quite a few handguns since then, but my first will always have a special place in my heart. I'm not a very good shot with handguns, but I've always seemed to do alright with this one. I shoot it better than my fancy Sig or Kimber. We've done well together in the early AGC action shoots and a few other light matches. The only malfunction I ever remember was when the baseplate (followed in short order by spring, follower, and ammo) dropped off of a cheap magazine when I racked the slide. :o At least I had one in the chamber! Out of all of my handguns to have only one round in, this is the one I could be most effective with anyway :shrug:

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I have that exact same pistol. It's my only 1911 (so far). Mine's not all tarted up with the sexy nail polish, but I still like it! The thing's always been reliable and accurate.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Part 2)

For some reason, a couple of years ago, I realized that I did not have a true 1911 in my collection. :tap: This was a problem. I needed one without the A1 improvements. I needed one with squinty little sights, and a hammer that could bite me if I wasn't careful. I missed my chance to buy one of the reintroductions Colt did. That would have satisfied the itch, but I certainly can't afford one now. When I was at my LGS, picking up what was supposed to be my last purchase for a while, it was mentioned that a worn, but very functional WW1 1911 had just come in as a consignment. :whoa: It wasn't ready to go out into the case yet, but I was told in a couple of days the asking price would be $950 :secret:

I've got a very good rapport with my LGS and, despite having spent all my "gun money," I've also been trying to squirrel away whatever cash I can in hopes of someday buying a house. :tap: Obviously, that pistol was never going to make it into the display case with a price tag on it :D

The serial number dates it to early 1918. I guess somewhere in the past 101 years, somebody lost the box for it :rolleyes: Being somewhat sentimental, I had a nice box to take it home in that I was pretty sure would fit a Colt 1911:innocent0

1911 box.JPG

Perfect fit ;)

It even came with a magazine, and 5 rounds of ammo:
    1911 ammo1.JPG

1911 ammo2.JPG
    When I feel greedy, I really wish it came with 8 rounds. That would give me a full magazine...and one to try to shoot :eek:

The finish is mostly gone--err, I mean, "patina." It looks like it had some real rust on it at some point that somebody cleaned off...but, honestly, I don't care :shrug: That's part of its story now.
    1911 pitting.JPG

Unlike my first Colt, no one ever installed the idiot scratch, and I'm going to try damned hard to keep it that way.
    1911 no scratch.JPG

The sights...well, they would need a little more than nail polish to make them much good :o But, that's what I wanted :shrug:
    1911 sights.JPG

I also now have a better appreciation of a beavertail, but, again, this is the way I wanted it:crazy:
    1911 bite.JPG

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I gave the old Colt a thorough cleaning, and found a few places that still had a little bit of bluing on them. I was thrilled to find that what I thought was pitting in the barrel came completely off during the Ballistol scrub down. In fact, the rifling looks as good as my "new" Colt. It's got a little bit of rattle to it, but the only thing that concerns me a little is some slop in the barrel bushing. You can see it's canted a little bit when the spring is pushing on it. See the gap at the bottom?

1911 bushing.JPG

I really don't know if that is a big deal for a 101 year old gun :shrug: It didn't seem like a big deal enough to make me hesitate shooting it though :D

I haven't had a chance to get to the range and do a proper paper punching...but I did take it to two steel challenge practices :gun3:

1911 steel 1.jpg

It functioned flawlessly. There were some 21st century guns there that didn't :innocent0 I definitely had to hunt around for the little sights, but I even hit the targets...more than a few times ;)

1911 fireball1.jpg

I was a little nervous about getting bitten by the hammer, so I maybe didn't grip it quite as high as a should have. I never felt a single, acute pinch, but I did notice that after 20 rounds or so, I had a red, slightly swollen spot on my hand. I guess it was more like an irritation. Hey, at least it didn't chomp out a chunk of flesh, like I was a'feared of! I'm sure a light glove would be an easy solution...plus, I don't intent to put thousands of rounds through it anyway.:rolleyes:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I also discovered that my receipt from 1999 was still in the box. I paid $440 (plus tax and $10 bribe to MSP). That was a pretty big chunk of money for a blue collar college kid :shrug:

I also solved the mystery of the "penning error." Like my screen name suggests, I am the 3rd heir with my real life name...my father was Art2 and his was Art1. On my birth certificate, and for the first 21 years of my life, this was expressed as, "III" after my last name. When I went to the MVA on my 21st birthday, their computer changed it to, "3rd." I tried to protest, but the pleasant :rolleyes:MVA worker said, "Nope. The computer won't accept 'III'. This is your name now." For the past twenty years, I assumed that change is what flagged my application. Looking at the old receipt now, I see that the FFL misspelled my last name by a letter! :banghead: That could probably do it :rolleye12

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    My 1911 was made in 1918 too, I love it but don't shoot it often.

My son is a III too. I'll have to ask him if he ran into problems with the DMV too

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    lol, now I understand. nice pieces. glad the old one is getting shot

I thought it was a cute title...just couldn't publish it fast enough :toothless

I have too many guns to shoot them all on a regular basis (I know...first world problems:rolleyes:) but they all do have to earn their keep at some point. I'll probably get the bushing looked at sometime. If it can be fixed, or is fine as is, this pistol may see more action than many of the younger ones...just because old iron is cool :patriot:

My 1911 was made in 1918 too, I love it but don't shoot it often.

My son is a III too. I'll have to ask him if he ran into problems with the DMV too
    The second chapter of my III story is my HQL. When I got my fingerprints taken, the deputy doing it said, "Hmm...the computer won't accept your suffix as '3rd.' How about we make it 'III?' " :wtf: He did seem a lot more interested in helping me than the MVA worker, and messed around for a while. Ultimately, however, he had to tell me, "Well, the computer says that's your name now." Sooo...the name on my DL does not 100% match the name on my HQL. :eek: So far, it hasn't been a problem...but any time I deal with a new FFL, I take the time to explain why my name is different on both of my state issued ID's :rolleyes:

Overall, having a family name has its pros and cons, as I'm sure you know. Art1 passed away shortly after I was born, so, back when telemarketers were actually people and not machines, we always knew a call was bs when we would ask, "which Art, Sr. or Jr.?" and they picked "Sr." :facepalm:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Found a way to embed the video...

...also found another old Colt (also made in 1918) to keep it company:

old colts.JPG

Diversity, right? :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads