Colt Sporter Target Converted to Carbine?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    At least I think that's what's going on here. Please tell me if I'm right. It looks to me like someone removed the stock and barrel from a pre-ban Sporter Target Model and replaced them with parts from a 1995ish Tactical Carbine and threw in a captured front take down pin while they were at it. I don't know why people do the things they do and normally I wouldn't even waste my time with such things but at least they used all Colt parts as far as I can tell and, other than one chewed up barrel nut tooth, it looks like it was well done. I'm pretty clueless on this AR stuff though so again, please tell me if I'm reading this clunker correctly.

A couple general views with and without a Clinton era Police trade in:

Some receiver details:

I didn't bother taking pictures of the bolt group components because they are clearly marked as Colt bits and modified just like a typical late pre-ban would be.

The gas key and tube show no weird wear patterns so I assume everything is properly aligned:

The stock is an original fiberlite with correct markings:

I didn't take a picture of the "1" but it's there.

The castle nut was not staked:

Handguards look correct:

Barrel and front sight details:

Barrel nut details:

Chewed up tooth:

So, to sum up, it looks to me like all someone did was swap out parts between two Colts. The only other thing I think someone did was clean up the trigger pull because, while all the parts appear to be factory, the pull is much lighter and smoother than any of my other ones. But that's not important. SO tell me, am I reading this Frankenberry correctly? Thank you in advance for any information you folks can provide.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    It’s junk. Collector value ruined. Probably won’t shoot well either. I’ll take it off your hands for $400. You could buy two new trash can guns for that. :innocent0

Seriously though, maybe someone did that so they could sell it in MD? Made it into an HBAR?

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I took it out to the range today along with the CETME L. The cleaned up trigger is very nice and it ran like a top. I normally steer clear of put togethers but I gotta say, this little carbine is a keeper!

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    One of the two Colt HBARs I picked up this year has some bastardization too, by the numbers it should be a flattop but has an A2 and pin conversion. Like yours at least its colt stuff and a colt bolt. Still a very early 3 digit serial for a Competition HBAR

If you haven't checked it out this website is handy. Not sure its right in all circumstances but should give you an idea what the gun "should" have been from the factor.y

http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Thanks Jim. I was checking that out just the other day. That's a good site for a number of different things. I knew when I picked this up that the 16" barrel wasn't right and the non-staked castle nut immediately clued me in. But, like you said, it's all Colt so, at a minimum, the parts are good. There are a few little screwups like the buggered barrel nut tooth and the rear sight pin appears to have been out but so long as it shoots straight and goes bang every time, I'll be happy. I'm a sucker for fixed carry handles too. It's no secret that I don't really even like AR's but these older Colts are kind of special to me. They are US made by US folks for US citizens. There is a nostalgia factor for me I guess. I do have an FN15 too and, although I've never shot it, I like it simply because it was made by FN. Sometimes, I get a little sentimental over certain ones.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    A three digit serial, nice!!

Sometime Ill have to post pictures of the three Colts I bought, went on a little bit of a spree. Of course depending on where the assembly goes they may end up at my place in PA!

I built a few shooter grade guns which have served me well but something about a carry handle Colt in 1990s grey is nostalgic, those were the ARs I grew up with in the 90s just couldn't afford one back then.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I agree. The grey has a utilitarian look the black is lacking. And, as you say, they take me back to when I was younger.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I agree. The grey has a utilitarian look the black is lacking. And, as you say, they take me back to when I was younger.

Isnt that the truth the fit and finish on the exterior was often terrible particularly on the ban guns they spent their time where it counted.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I have no proof but also no doubt that these order rifles are better built than the new ones. I do have to say though, my police trade in pictured in this thread was built during the Clinton years (I did know the date but I've forgotten) appears to be just as nicely done as my pre-bans. I always works too so long as I use GI or steel magazines.

Feb 28, 2013

Fixed carry handles do that for me. AR’s just don’t look right to me without one.

Kinda like my hand without a can of beer in it...:innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom