New to MD, banned configurations or good to go?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tpe187

Mar 8, 2019
    Hello All,

I am active duty military and just received orders for Maryland for this summer. I have a secondary residence and DL for PA, which is where my NFA items currently reside. My primary residence right now is in Massachusetts. As I get ready for the move I want to ensure I am in compliance with the current laws and so I want to run a few things past the community, understanding that its not legal advice and I need to confirm with the state...

1. If transferring NFA weapons, there are no feature restrictions. I have a side folding SBR AK and AR.

2. As long as owned prior to Oct 2013, AR15s are ok as long as they don't have a folding stock or FH

3. It doesn't look like the KAC SR25 is banned - Collapsible stock and compensator not FH

4. I have a Benelli M4 with collapsible pistol grip stock and full length magazine tube. I also have a straight non collapsing, non PG stock if that is required. Any issues?

I don't have any yet, but are there any restrictions on pistols with braces such as a KAC SR15 lower with pistol brace and 11.5" upper?

I did search and tried to go through the various 2a discussions but didn't see all of the above and figured it would be a good idea to get the most current information. Thank you all in advance for taking the time to help me out. I appreciate it.

Tom

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    1. Feature restrictions DO apply to NFA weapons created after the Oct 2013 cut-off.
    2. True.
    3. True.
    4. No issues.
    5. No.

tpe187

Mar 8, 2019
    Awesome! Thanks for information. My SBRs are all pre 2008 so good to go. Interesting on the pistols and braces..

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Hello All,

I am active duty military and just received orders for Maryland for this summer. I have a secondary residence and DL for PA, which is where my NFA items currently reside. My primary residence right now is in Massachusetts. As I get ready for the move I want to ensure I am in compliance with the current laws and so I want to run a few things past the community, understanding that its not legal advice and I need to confirm with the state...

1. If transferring NFA weapons, there are no feature restrictions. I have a side folding SBR AK and AR.

2. As long as owned prior to Oct 2013, AR15s are ok as long as they don't have a folding stock or FH

3. It doesn't look like the KAC SR25 is banned - Collapsible stock and compensator not FH

4. I have a Benelli M4 with collapsible pistol grip stock and full length magazine tube. I also have a straight non collapsing, non PG stock if that is required. Any issues?

I don't have any yet, but are there any restrictions on pistols with braces such as a KAC SR15 lower with pistol brace and 11.5" upper?

I did search and tried to go through the various 2a discussions but didn't see all of the above and figured it would be a good idea to get the most current information. Thank you all in advance for taking the time to help me out. I appreciate it.

Tom

on #2, it doesn't matter if owned prior to 2013. It causes a rifle to be banned if owned after 2013. Flash hiders are usually OK because MD does not count a pistol grip or collapsible stock as evil features, so that is the one allowed evil feature. Again, on pre-2013 guns it doesn't matter. Post Oct 2013 AR-15 has to be an HBAR to enter and max 1 evil feature as defined by MD.

if I have it right, if you are establishing residency pre-2013 guns have to be registered. If you are not, I don't think they do. But to bring any currently banned gun in, it has be be owned before Oct 2013. After than, it has to be a HBAR and flash hider and collapsible stock OK (max 1 MD evil feature)

#3 likely OK for same reason as above, pistol grip and collapsible stocks are not evil features, only the flash hider and you can have 1. Don't go down the rabbit hole between FH and compensator - I am told most compensators are flash hiders.

#4. unless the M4 is an HBAR, it has to be owned before Oct 2013 to enter.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Ahhhh ok sorry.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

CBo

Feb 11, 2018
    Columbia
    another caveat, i believe since ar pistols are being considered pistols, any pistols have to be in the roster for permitted models, which ar-pistols arent. you can make a pistol by getting a lower and creating a pistol lower, then putting the upper on it. i believe someone i know attempted to buy a complete ar pistol on gunbroker and the ffl did not accept it because it was not on the roster. as long as the sr-15 wasnt originally a compete rifle or rifle lower, but a receiver you first assembled into a pistol you should be fine, as per nfa and whatnot.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    another caveat, i believe since ar pistols are being considered pistols, any pistols have to be in the roster for permitted models, which ar-pistols arent. you can make a pistol by getting a lower and creating a pistol lower, then putting the upper on it. i believe someone i know attempted to buy a complete ar pistol on gunbroker and the ffl did not accept it because it was not on the roster. as long as the sr-15 wasnt originally a compete rifle or rifle lower, but a receiver you first assembled into a pistol you should be fine, as per nfa and whatnot.

hmm, not sure about this. First, many AR pistols are on the roster. Maybe the specific model your friend wanted was not. The Colt "AR15A3" Lower is on the roster (see here under "Colt/Colts Mfg. Co., Inc." https://licensingportal.mdsp.maryland.gov/MSPBridgeClient/#/home see also the "M4" models "LE6921, LE6933, LE6941, LE6943, LE6945CQB") and some others. Daniel Defense AR pistol for example also on roster. You can buy a lower and make a pistol, even if the lower is not on the roster.

Second, if you move here with a pistol, can you register a pistol even if its not on the roster? IIRC the answer is yes. I seem to recall a lot of debate about this though. I think that the Roster, like the bore lock, applies to sales/transfers not to registering a gun if you move here (or making an AR pistol). Someone will chime in with details maybe or correct me.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    My AR pistol from Sterling Arsenal was transferred to United Gun Shop and it was on the list

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    on #2, it doesn't matter if owned prior to 2013. It causes a rifle to be banned if owned after 2013. Flash hiders are usually OK because MD does not count a pistol grip or collapsible stock as evil features, so that is the one allowed evil feature. Again, on pre-2013 guns it doesn't matter. Post Oct 2013 AR-15 has to be an HBAR to enter and max 1 evil feature as defined by MD. - Evil features only apply on firearms purchased after 9/30/13. So side folder is OK IF he purchased it prior to the ban date

if I have it right, if you are establishing residency pre-2013 guns have to be registered. If you are not, I don't think they do. But to bring any currently banned gun in, it has be be owned before Oct 2013. After than, it has to be a HBAR and flash hider and collapsible stock OK (max 1 MD evil feature) - Active Duty Military does NOT have establish residency in MD.
    He can maintain PA residency, while living in MD. And will be able to buy handguns in either state. He can also buy MD banned, but PA legal, longguns in PA, he just cannot bring them into MD.

#3 likely OK for same reason as above, pistol grip and collapsible stocks are not evil features, only the flash hider and you can have 1. Don't go down the rabbit hole between FH and compensator - I am told most compensators are flash hiders. - It does not matter what it is called, if it reduces the flash (no idea what that actually means) it is a flash hider, that is the MD interpretation.

Comments in red

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    hmm, not sure about this. First, many AR pistols are on the roster. Maybe the specific model your friend wanted was not. The Colt "AR15A3" Lower is on the roster (see here under "Colt/Colts Mfg. Co., Inc." https://licensingportal.mdsp.maryland.gov/MSPBridgeClient/#/home see also the "M4" models "LE6921, LE6933, LE6941, LE6943, LE6945CQB") and some others. Daniel Defense AR pistol for example also on roster. You can buy a lower and make a pistol, even if the lower is not on the roster.

Second, if you move here with a pistol, can you register a pistol even if its not on the roster? IIRC the answer is yes. I seem to recall a lot of debate about this though. I think that the Roster, like the bore lock, applies to sales/transfers not to registering a gun if you move here (or making an AR pistol). Someone will chime in with details maybe or correct me.

Correct. It only needs to be on the roster if you are buying it, not to bring it into the state and register it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom