• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I think the other big headache is the location, which was not convenient for just about anyone. I'll add that a show in Southern Maryland might do quite well. There's a whole world outside the I-95 Axis that gets forgotten about.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    Wow ! You've definitely been around for a while , if you went to shows at the Greenbelt NG Armory . The heydays were the '60s and '70s, dropping off in early '80s . One or two one off shows circa 1990 .

Those were great shows.
    Once I had the wrong dates and showed up during a NG function.
    Someone yelled your late. I said late hell. Did a 180 and left.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yup , that was the Equestrian Center . Kind of figured that, and was semi- funning .

But seriously , the next permutation will be back to the roots . The prevalence of " big " shows was starting up circa 1980 . The norm used to be smaller, more local , and more in raw numbers . Think meeting room at a gun club or veteran's or fraternal club , or two bays of a VFD . A basketball court sized drill room at a Nat'l Gaurd used to be the "big show " , not arenas .

And at least half of them were put on by the actual local Org with the building , or a small , non-profit collector's assn or sportsman's club .

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Yup , that was the Equestrian Center . Kind of figured that, and was semi- funning .

But seriously , the next permutation will be back to the roots . The prevalence of " big " shows was starting up circa 1980 . The norm used to be smaller, more local , and more in raw numbers . Think meeting room at a gun club or veteran's or fraternal club , or two bays of a VFD . A basketball court sized drill room at a Nat'l Gaurd used to be the "big show " , not arenas .

And at least half of them were put on by the actual local Org with the building , or a small , non-profit collector's assn or sportsman's club .

There are still a lot of those type of shows taking place in Pennsylvania, I try to attend them, if they aren't to far of a drive.

https://gunshowtrader.com/gunshows/pennsylvania-gun-shows/

www.gunshows-usa.com/pennsylvania/

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    The Upper Marlboro equestrian center show was a good one put on by Silverado for many years then suddenly worthless gun grabbing democrats in the Maryland Park Commission(MNCCCP) changed some of the rules and stopped allowing ammo to be sold, and that was the end of the show. I really miss it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    First they stopped Gun Shows categorically . Then after a cpl years of negotiating , was a limited re-boot with the overburdensome rules . In that guise, it was not sufficiently popular with vendors or public , and return engagement under those rules not sought .

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    I stopped going because to me prices where well not the bargains I would be looking for . Would go to look for military surplus . Parts and pieces . But I can think of only one guy who had a bunch of garland stuff last time I went .tons of ar stuff , I do have , but like the older stuff. Stuffs there but seemed like not much to choose from. Last few times went only to support the event.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I think the other big headache is the location, which was not convenient for just about anyone.

Really? Its just about the dead center of the state. If I were running the shows and I could only pick one spot I think that would be it.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I will miss it and hope that it returns.
    I usually opportunity buy there and haggle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I like gun shows. Sometimes I see something I didn't realize I wanted. Can't do that on a website.

Haven't been to the HoCo show in a while. The last time one vendor had a bunch of Rossi M92s on sale. Always regretted not getting one then.

Scrounger

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern Maryland
    There have been many good points about why this show has been suspended, and the usual trashing of Maryland shows. What no one has mentioned is that the February Howard County show also happened to fall on the first weekend of the Great American Outdoor Show in Harrisburg Pa

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I think the other big headache is the location, which was not convenient for just about anyone. I'll add that a show in Southern Maryland might do quite well. There's a whole world outside the I-95 Axis that gets forgotten about.

Man. If you could go to Frederick or Batimore, it's smack in between. What's hard about getting on 70/40?

Upper Marlboro is probably as far South in MD as you'll get vendors to go. The only other location down here that could hold one is probably the Blue Crabs Baseball stadium. There's just nothing big enough until you reach the fire station in Hollywood.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    So the jerky and "Dream Catcher" sales have moved online now?

People can always talk about Amazon being better, but for me, a $50 zinc-alloy samurai sword with a plastic hilt is simply too much of a gamble until I've held that masterpiece in my own hands in person.

The used books from Amazon just don't smell the same either.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    It's two hours hard driving each way from here in Deep Southern Maryland.

Oh, Right. I used to live in Great Mills so I understand the problem.
    I was thinking that the location wasn't bad for the vendors to reach. Sorry I mixed that with your post. My bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom