• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    anyone out there have quickload? i'm wondering how accurate the estimation/calculation is for a load. i'll be doing a chronograph of it on thrusday but i wonder how close it is.

MOST of the time, the load info is about 100-200fps slower than advertised on the box. less if the barrel length is the same but it's never been w/in 50 fps of advertised.

load inquery on...
    55gr (nosler ballistic tip: Varmint) out of 22-250 1:10 RH twist, 22" barrel using 39gr of imr4350

if this is against the TOS/ULA of QuickLoad, please dont post the output. dont get in trouble.

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    I've done a good bit of testing and experimenting with QL. I found that if I get my input perfect, I've often been within 25 fps of the QL calculations. It doesn't account for twist rate, power lot variations etc. You can fine tune it by adjusting the powder burn factor to make the load make your chrono data. I've also experimented with using barrel time in QL and the Long family barrel time chart to help find accurate loads faster. Again, if I get my input right/accurate, I have been able to get groups of no larger than 3/4" and most of the time I can get them in the 1/2"-5/8" area. I have had several groups from the start to shoot .1". I've tried it with several of my rifles including 257AI, 7x57AI, 280AI, 243AI, 17 Fireball, and 22 Hornet to name a few. It isn't perfect but saves me a lot of powder and bullets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom