• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The cheap holographic sight I put on my 9mm AR washes out in the daylight, so I'm looking for something I can use on it for USPSA. I'm looking at the Vortex Spitfire 1x Prism Scope http://www.quanticotactical.com/asp/itemDetail.asp?dispItemNum=5047&type=C&subCatNum=58&CMN=1x Does anyone here have one? Will it work in the daylight? QT is sort of on my way home, so I can pick one up, but it may be cloudy this evening.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I run a Spitfire 1x on my Special Weapons SP-10 9mm PCC in an ADM QD mount. It works fine during the day. Illumination is not spectacular, but is visible on a clear sunny day. Reticle is quite good for 9mm PCC use, IMHO... I think the dot should have been more like 5 MOA, but you get on target fast with the circle anyways.

Otherwise, the Holosun optics get plenty bright for daytime usage.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    The cheap holographic sight I put on my 9mm AR washes out in the daylight, so I'm looking for something I can use on it for USPSA. I'm looking at the Vortex Spitfire 1x Prism Scope http://www.quanticotactical.com/asp/itemDetail.asp?dispItemNum=5047&type=C&subCatNum=58&CMN=1x Does anyone here have one? Will it work in the daylight? QT is sort of on my way home, so I can pick one up, but it may be cloudy this evening.

Just get a C-More Railway and save yourself the pain of buying unsuitable ones over and over. Bright enough to flair out at high noon and if you don't like the dot size you can buy other larger or smaller dot modules. In USPSA you want to shoot both eyes open pistol style not one eye rifle style. You can either buy the right one now or keep buying others ($$$) until you realize you need to buy the right one.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I posted this prior to last weekend. Unfortunately, I was in an accident last weekend and my three month old car was totaled. This is on the back burner for the foreseeable future.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    After the sight washed out several times, I said screw it, and I bought an Eotech. The store I got it from (Quantico Tactical) let me take it outside to get a look. This was around 2:00 this afternoon. I tried red dots before on another firearm, but for this kind of shooting, I wanted the dot in a circle. When the crap optic was visible, I preferred the dot and circle over just the dot or the crosshairs.

The Eotech I got uses a CR123A battery. So I can stockpile batteries and share them between the sight and my new flashlight. I have to sight it in this week, I'm shooting PCC in the USPSA match next weekend.

Today's falling steel match at Quantico, I placed 13th out of 34. I need to hustle more and work on shooting on the move. I could have dropped a good 15 seconds by moving faster during the stages and not stopping for easy shots that I should be able to hit while moving.

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    Just get a C-More Railway and save yourself the pain of buying unsuitable ones over and over. Bright enough to flair out at high noon and if you don't like the dot size you can buy other larger or smaller dot modules. In USPSA you want to shoot both eyes open pistol style not one eye rifle style. You can either buy the right one now or keep buying others ($$$) until you realize you need to buy the right one.

The railway is hard to beat. It's ugly but it works. I run a 6 moa dot on mine for PCC and love it. Once or twice a year in the right sun it will wash out on a white target but this is far better than others I've tried and the large round window with nothing else around it, is what makes it superior...... You can get a glare shield for them also, I need to look into that.....

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Is anyone running PCC with an older model 9mm rifle with fixed carry handle? My '95 6450 is fun to shoot, but as I go through personal drills prior to my first match, the height compared to my .223 flattops is a bit "off" for me (bench shooting is fine). I have a utg adaptor running the original vortex strikefire. I've seen gooseneck mounts but the distance from the eye doesn't bode well for me. Has anyone seen the C-More on top of a carry handle?

Attachments

• IMAG0313.jpg
      IMAG0313.jpg
      89.5 KB · Views: 466

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Is anyone running PCC with an older model 9mm rifle with fixed carry handle? My '95 6450 is fun to shoot, but as I go through personal drills prior to my first match, the height compared to my .223 flattops is a bit "off" for me (bench shooting is fine). I have a utg adaptor running the original vortex strikefire. I've seen gooseneck mounts but the distance from the eye doesn't bode well for me. Has anyone seen the C-More on top of a carry handle?
    C-More made a specific model that had a base for the carry handle. not sure what they called it.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    I'm finding that the A1 front sight on the Colt 6450 is not a good option for me on the PCC, at least if it's sporting a reflex style red dot. It's a distraction for sure. A bit bummed by this, and my nagging thought I need to pick up a PCC that is flat-topped fore and aft may be getting realized after all.

You all have A1s or mount ready front sights on the PCC?

That said, I tried out a cheap Sightmark laser boresighting device I picked up and "sighted in" the irons and Vortex Strikefire at 25ft inside the house, cowitnessing the red dot to use the top of the front sight post. At 25 yards at the range, the irons and red dot we're 4" too high, but windage was perfect. Easy adjustment and then pushed out to 50yards, with good results. So it's a decent bench queen configured like this, but either I just go irons with the PCC (which I'm willing to try) or need to get a PCC in a flattop with a more holographic style red dot...

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have a 3X and love it.
    I'd love to see a 9mm 2x version with a dual BDC reticle for 115gr supersonic and 147gr subsonic. 9mm drops a little too fast to justify a 3x, but 2x would be very helpful on 100yd shots and not cause undue problems on closer-in shots. I think an optic like that would sell extremely well, as there's nothing like it on the market.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    I am there, dontpanic. I spent the morning zeroing my irons and Strikefire red dot on the bench, then had a hard time using it quickly through a tube based reflex red dot. Lesson learned, albeit it was cheap used.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Ok, I got the C-more tactical RD in aluminum, and put it on my Colt 6450 9mm's existing fixed carry handle adapter (UTG, $10). The irons were already zero'd to 25 yards so I locked the gun, fixed on a target 25 yards away and put the irons on them, then adjusted the red dot to slightly above the iron zero spot (from experience with this rifle). I'll try it out next week and see how quickly and accurately I can work with the sight.

If it works, I'll have a Vortex Strikefire red dot (the original, not the "II") for sale for $50...

Attachments

• c-more9mm.jpg
      c-more9mm.jpg
      126.8 KB · Views: 273

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Well, the C-More Tactical red dot was a dud. I think due to the height on the fixed carry handle it isn't able to handle the adjustments necessary to hit paper properly. I'll try one of my flat tops to see if it will adjust to a normal height. The rifle itself was dead on with iron sights from the bench albeit with the rear sight literally all the way to the right (the rifle was apparently dropped when in service with my brother), with heavy duty squinting using my distance glasses or clear shooting glass, so I'm going to get a custom set of lenses for an old frame with dominant eye focused on the front sight, and left eye with the regular distance prescription.

Next I'll work through using a properly mounted red dot when my Colt 6951 9mm rifle arrives, hopefully soon. That will end up being the competition rifle, and I can send the older rifle off to an armorer and get the rear fixed sight and barrel checked out...

What a process.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Have you considered using an "Israeli-style" low forward mount for your reflex sight? I have no idea about which ones are any good, but the IDF made a lot of good use of them... they presumably are not horrible, and they should co-witness.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Do you mean the mount shaped like a z to put the optic on the handguard? No, not yet. For now i have decided to use this older rifle as an occasional bench 25-50 yard range and HD gun, and am waiting for the 6951 to arrive with detachable carry handle. I got a deal on Nikon's new competition 1-4x scope and mount, and will train with this combo for PCC events.

Attachments

• carryhandlemount.jpg
      carryhandlemount.jpg
      14.1 KB · Views: 267
    Last edited:

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Do you mean the mount shaped like a z to put the optic on the handguard? No, not yet. For now i have decided to use this older rifle as an occasional bench 25-50 yard range and HD gun, and am waiting for the 6951 to arrive with detachable carry handle. I got a deal on Nikon's new competition 1-4x scope and mount, and will train with this combo for PCC events.

That is the kind of mount the C-More Scout has where the red dot mounts low and in front of the carry handle and is possibly co-witness with the AR irons. You might be able to buy just the carry handle mount.
    You can buy the special mount from Optics Planet:

http://shop.opticsplanet.com/c-more...UybA81unGY9LSiWJBL1-dFDyu9qKBQwBoCEdAQAvD_BwE

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom