• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    I'm in the market for a spotting scope. I currently have a cheap Barsky scope and have a hard time seeing 100 yards. We have moved the range on the farm to allow us to shoot 300 yards and I am now looking for a spotting scope to be able to see holes in paper targets at a minimum at that range. Would like to stay under $250 or the least expensive to do the job.

ARMatt

Apr 12, 2016
    NAS Pax River
    im gonna subscribe to this because i literally went out and bought a cheapo barska one and took it back this afternoon the same day because it was very sub par and the eye relief was absolutely horrendous.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I just bought the $60 Walmart Simmons spotting scope. Not expecting too
    much but the reviews actually fairly solid. I'll let you know. I had been looking at the Konus but really didn't want to spend even $200 on one.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I'm in the market for a spotting scope. I currently have a cheap Barsky scope and have a hard time seeing 100 yards. We have moved the range on the farm to allow us to shoot 300 yards and I am now looking for a spotting scope to be able to see holes in paper targets at a minimum at that range. Would like to stay under $250 or the least expensive to do the job.

Been down this road and wasted a lot of time and money. Ended up building my own wireless target cam. Check out here. https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=201095

I brought one of these to use on matches, where you cant use electronic scopes. Konus 7122 20x-60x100mm Spotting Scope with Case https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DX7Q9Q/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_H7o2ybW5HZNF5

I can see .223 holes on white paper at 200yds but its tough to see holes on black paper at that distance. Im not sure you will see holes at 300yds.

If you have any questions about the wireless cam diy post in there. I've been meaning to finish writhing up that DIY. If there interest I'll get off my ass and try to finish it up.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I bought a 45° eye piece for my Meade ETX telescope so I can use it to look horizontally down range instead of up at the sky. Works great except for having to lug it in its carry case and the tripod from the car to the range.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I like my Konus 80mm that I just got. My friend has one that we used at Camp Perry, and we could see .30 cal hits at 200yd. OpticsPlanet had it for $180 at the same time they had a 10% off, so I had to jump on it. It's normally $220 or so on Amazon. The phone holder is a plus too, so you can take photos or record video with your camera phone.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    This is closer to $350. I cannot think of anything that's going to be good to 300yds and only $250.

https://www.bullseyecamera.com/bcs_ammocam.html

I LOVE my Bullseye AmmoCam, and have used it plenty of times, and out as far as 600 yards. Considering I'm looking for 5.56 mm holes, I don't think there is a spotting scope out there that will resolve those, especially considering shimmer. I don't need a friend to sit in the pit and call the shots for me anymore!

I went with the 1 mile version, which retails for $649, though I got it last year at the Oaks Extravaganza at a gun show special all-in price of $584. Bought it from Jeff Bortz, Bortz Sporting Arms and Optics in Alburtis, PA. Straight up guy to deal with.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I like my Konus 80mm that I just got. My friend has one that we used at Camp Perry, and we could see .30 cal hits at 200yd. OpticsPlanet had it for $180 at the same time they had a 10% off, so I had to jump on it. It's normally $220 or so on Amazon. The phone holder is a plus too, so you can take photos or record video with your camera phone.

I'm gonna take a look at these. Thanks Ken.

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    Thanks for the input. Looks like I will have to expand my scope budget. I might be in for the DIY camera project. Looks to be about a 6 pack project with a couple buddies. Always like building these kind of projects.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    I haven't played with anything under $500 that was useful for .22/.223 past 100 yards without reactive targets. If you have the money and NEED to see hits at a good distance with high magnification, you're looking at ~$1000 for a decent Leupold or Vortex spotter.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    im gonna subscribe to this because i literally went out and bought a cheapo barska one and took it back this afternoon the same day because it was very sub par and the eye relief was absolutely horrendous.

Which model was it?

I was just about to buy the barska Colorado model 20-60x60mm.
    DSG has this model on sale 50% off at 69.99. I also have 20 bucks worth of coupons that brings it to about 50 bucks. I would be maxing it out to 200 yards most of the time.
    Would this model fit the need on a tight budget?

nerfherder

Apr 22, 2011
    right here
    I have a Bushnell Legend HD 20-60x80 and have been very pleasantly surprised with it. The HD glass really makes a big difference. I don't think a better performer can be found for less than 500.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I think out of all the optics you buy for shooting, the old adage "you get what you pay for" applies most to spotting scopes. I have the Konus with the 80mm objective - good for 100 yards, adequate for 200 yards; over 200 yards forget it. I never shoot past 200 yards, so it works for me. I think for spotting hits at 500 yards you should spend more like $750 to $1000. If you do get the Konus - get the 100mm objective instead of the 80.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    And if you really want to do it right; you buy the scope body separate from the eye piece. The eye piece is where you would put your money. You would also buy a heavy and stable stand (hell - that's $200+ right there) for the scope tailored to whether you are going to shoot bench or prone or all of the above.

ARMatt

Apr 12, 2016
    NAS Pax River
    Which model was it?

I was just about to buy the barska Colorado model 20-60x60mm.
    DSG has this model on sale 50% off at 69.99. I also have 20 bucks worth of coupons that brings it to about 50 bucks. I would be maxing it out to 200 yards most of the time.
    Would this model fit the need on a tight budget?

I'm gonna say no. I was shooting at 100 yds and in order for me to see clearly I had to take my sunglasses off push my eye deep into the lens and squint. The hassle wasn't worth it. Would not recommend. Mine was the same one from dicks

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom