• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Thanks all! My inexperience C&R had me assuming that all C&R firearms were military related. Looks like they are not. Good to know and opens up the options a bit.

I've been training with Ed Shell for over 5 years and can squeeze out most of the potential accuracy of my rifles. I can reliably shoot 1/2 MOA with my current rifles and have been able to squeeze smaller groups on some of my other rifles.

I've accurately stretched my M1A Loaded out to 800yds with iron sights and would love to have a scoped C&R rifle to throw into the mix. Another reason, I am a huge World War I/II fan and would love to have a relic in my collection. I got the bug for one when I shot the WWII M1 Garand Course of Fire at Ft Meade a few years back. This sort of falls on and off my radar but has been there since I became a member at Mayberry where I have access to a 600yd range.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    A couple of interesting military c&r rifles. Finn 28/76; czech vz54 ( anyone have a spare scope and mount?), and many of the finn m 39s. The latter are pleantiful.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Well, fu..! Had I known! :) I guess it can't be any worse than proposing mandatory training for C&R ownership. Can it?

LOL, wasn't messing with you, was waiting for more of a history lesson from Mawkie, Augie, and Combloc. The others had a lot of good postings as well.

Q

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Why not get a 1941 sniper clone? if you want something to shoot......a 1903 with a unertyl 10x can't be beat. If you are not shooting as issued matches you can get it bedded and it will shoot like a dream.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    C&R are a broad field, with lots of directs of emphasis. If the history aspect interests you , you have sugguestions of various WWII sniper rifles.

Or for someone E. Shell trained , for whom 0.5moa is a meaningful thing ; For pure accuracy, a Rem 40-X , followed by a bull bbl M700 with a good bore and throat .

Major03

Ultimate Member
    OK, definitely established you know how to shoot. That's impressive.

What kind of budget do you have? Are you looking for something authentic, or a facsimile of authentic...authentic rifles that can shoot to that kind of precision can get very pricey. Assuming money is less important to you than finding the right rifle that will put a smile on your face but you don't want to take out a 2nd mortgage, my recommendation is a M1903A1 USMC sniper reproduction. Find a good doner action from a sportarized 1903 and send it someone who knows how to build a good rifle.

There is a guy who goes by the name of chuckindenver over at culver's shooters forum / jouster (http://www.jouster2.com/forums/forum.php) who did mine. He knows his stuff.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Ross Mk. II or more likely a Ross Mk. III. Both are very accurate rifles. Unfortunately they’re not what I would call “easy to find” or as “affordable” as most of the other rifles mentioned

Ya got that right! Common MKIIs in VG condition will set you back $750-$850 and the MKIII even more @ $850-1000. Yet they're not the most accurate Ross rifle out there.
    The Ross MKII Military Match rifle is every bit the equal of a Springfield 1903 NM. You could probably get one for less than the '03NM but that's not saying much, still very expensive. And that's if you're lucky enough to find one. Took me about 20 yrs to find the two that I have.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Precision C&R Rifles

This is a good suggestion. Too bad the last of them have been Hoovered up from Europe. Simpson imported a bunch from shooting clubs in Sweden a year ago. Saw some very nice examples sell for around $650-750. A heck of a deal.

Simpson still offers them from time to time, but you have to watch the site daily and buy quickly because they sell almost as fast as they are posted.

Mine was my first C or R firearm. I bought it in 2014 when Simpson had 3 pages worth. It took me 3+ days to decide which one I wanted.

I haven’t spent hours and hours shooting it or really trying to tune it but I am certain that it can shoot sub MOA. Here’s a target from my last trip with it.

15b804674135a4ce5728a4ed8d8aa190.jpg

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    Precision C&R Rifles

I’ve shot less that 1/2 Moa with my Win 52B at 50 yards with open sights. It kind of goes to hell at 100 yds, but that could be what ammo I’m using. My H&R M12, while not C&R, is close, but not quite as good as the 52, and my Win 75 is right behind that. Rimfire is cheap compared to centerfire, and lots of fun. Should you jump on a 52, there is an annual Yahoo group postal shoot just for Win 52s. Quite challenging and lots of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dammit_Man

Jan 16, 2018
    I’ve shot less that 1/2 Moa with my Win 52B at 50 yards with open sights. It kind of goes to hell at 100 yds, but that could be what ammo I’m using. My H&R M12, while not C&R, is close, but not quite as good as the 52, and my Win 75 is right behind that. Rimfire is cheap compared to centerfire, and lots of fun. Should you jump on a 52, there is an annual Yahoo group postal shoot just for Win 52s. Quite challenging and lots of fun.

I have my dad's old Winchester 52 bull barrel match gun, the thing is exquisite and will shoot one hole groups all day. I'd be interested in that Yahoo competition

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    I have my dad's old Winchester 52 bull barrel match gun, the thing is exquisite and will shoot one hole groups all day. I'd be interested in that Yahoo competition

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

If you have a yahoo account, search for the Model_ 52 group. They haven’t sent out a notice for this year yet, most likely sometime in April. They have both open sights and scope classes at both 50 and 100 yards. Last year it was $10 for each class (open or scope) and you can shoot both classes. You shoot two targets at each range and get graded on both score and group. It would be great to get more participation. Last year I was the only one from MD. I usually shoot at Hap Baker.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Milsurp C&R's will be hit and miss as far as accuracy, a lot depends on condition and luck. MOA was not a criteria when those rifles were produced, the were happy with MOM, minute of man. I have a like new 6 groove Smith-Corona 03-A3 that will do MOA but for the most part the rest are double that at best.

C&R is anything that is 50 years old or older and that opens up a whole lot of accurate commercial rifles. I have found most Pre 64 Winchester Model 70's are quite accurate, I have a 1957 30-06 that is is rough shape bore wise, I suspect previous owners used surplus ammo without cleaning, it will still do MOA easily with only a 5 power old Weaver scope. Picture is rifle and 5 shot 100 yard target

If you don't already have a vintage 22 rimfire target rifle you are missing out on a great training rifle. The Winchester 75's, 52's, the Remington 37's, 513T's,40x's and 40xb's are all great accurate rifles. Shoot one at 100 yards and you will really learn breathing, trigger control and the effects of wind. Plus they are relatively cheap to practice with, 5 to 7 bucks a box for quality target grade ammo. Picture is a Remington 513T and a 5 shot 100 yard target and a multi shot 100 yard target.

Attachments

• IMG_2079.jpg
      IMG_2079.jpg
      53.7 KB · Views: 66
    • IMG_2087.jpg
      IMG_2087.jpg
      76.9 KB · Views: 57
    • IMG_1491.jpg
      IMG_1491.jpg
      53.3 KB · Views: 56
    • IMG_1502.jpg
      IMG_1502.jpg