• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Just a quiet bump to let you all know I'm still interested x

Not being a smart aleck here, but if you're just looking for animals to practice on try the side of the road. I see plenty of fox, coon, possum and squirrels that are dead and not pancakes or hamburger. With cool temps now they won't rot and stink right away as in mid summer.

FoxHill

Taxidermist in Training
    Jan 19, 2018
    Woodstock, MD
    I've been collecting roadkill for two years now - just hoping I might be able to get some creatures in slightly better shape. And a bit more variety than the endless raccoons. Seriously, it's crazy the number of raccoons that get hit out here.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Lol. Foxes are good to have. They eat mice. My dog is somewhat friendly with the fox and babies behind my house. Not like it's a wolf or yote or something bad....
    Except when they eat the ol' lady's chickens, which is actually as bad as it gets around here. Then, decisive action is required.

fox-coni01perm.jpg

FoxHill

Taxidermist in Training
    Jan 19, 2018
    Woodstock, MD
    FoxHill - you might watch the "Trapper talk" forum over at Trapperman.com. Almost any time someone gets something special, they will run it past the group before posting it on a taxidermy site for sale. There are several Maryland trappers there that I know of, so you may encounter something close by.
    https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forum_summary

Thank you! I'll definitely post there and see how it goes. :) Hoping to get a hunting license myself next year. Going after Canada Goose seems as if it would be quite satisfying...

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Out of all the animals I've worked with in wildlife rehab opossums have been my favorite. Those guys seem immune to most diseases and altogether decent, just get blamed a lot for the damage raccoons tend to do.
    Yeah opossums are great, just let them be. Plus they look like they can bite bad, but have very weak jaw muscles..

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    Yeah opossums are great, just let them be. Plus they look like they can bite bad, but have very weak jaw muscles..

Opossums have incredibly strong jaw muscles. Had one bite me once while I was wearing padded leather gloves meant for handling raptors. It left bruises on my hand

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    No kidding. I've heard horror stories about what foxes and raccoons do to chickens.

June 24 2018 mid afternoon. There were others missing that day ranging from 2 week old chicks thru mature laying hens.
    On the fone I have pics of 7 week old broilers (1 week away from freezer camp ) in the broiler house with heads gone and some with wings chewed off.

Attachments

• IMG_20180624_182041.jpg
      IMG_20180624_182041.jpg
      97.5 KB · Views: 105
    • IMG_20180624_181908.jpg
      IMG_20180624_181908.jpg
      105 KB · Views: 131
    • IMG_20180624_181928.jpg
      IMG_20180624_181928.jpg
      78.9 KB · Views: 112

FoxHill

Taxidermist in Training
    Jan 19, 2018
    Woodstock, MD
    June 24 2018 mid afternoon. There were others missing that day ranging from 2 week old chicks thru mature laying hens.
    On the fone I have pics of 7 week old broilers (1 week away from freezer camp ) in the broiler house with heads gone and some with wings chewed off.

Man, that sucks. I've heard raccoons just tearing open the throats to get the grain in the crops, etc. Kills me that everyone finds coons so "cute" when they're a brutal, dangerous species to have around. From what I've heard with the parasites they carry, rabies risk, etc. they're the most dangerous one out there in general.

hermyjoe

Feb 5, 2012
    riverdale md
    Hi -

I'm a hobby taxidermist who wishes to work upon my craft. My interests lie in taxidermy and skeleton articulation. I am hoping there will be some shooters interested in offering up deceased animals that they otherwise would leave to rot - coyote, fox, opossum, weasel, etc.

Once my skills increase to a good amount I would be happy to offer up taxidermy, skeleton articulation, and tanning. Currently, however, I am primarily searching for animals to work upon.

Feel free to PM if interested. I would be happy to travel a bit to pick up the bodies if need be. I'm located a bit outside of Baltimore, MD.

I would offer my wife's cat, but she probably wouldn't be pleased about it. something about it still being alive and all. just joking, probably the best thing I ever got from my in-laws. god rest their souls.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    What do you have to get rid of? I'd be happy to help you out with that. I don't have a ton of money to spend, but we'll see what we can do :)

Basically come to my place some time when you have several hours to waste and we can go through the freezers. Bring some cash for the stuff I want something for. I also have a lot of stuff that is tanned like raccoons and foxes, but want some $$ for them. Mostly what I have I want something for though. My shop and freezers look like they could be in a show on taxidermist hoarders lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom