• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Got a very nice pre-war Crown-N PPK for a shooter from a member here (my other one is an Eagle C) about 200k in serial number apart.

Really nice gun but came with a crack in the one piece Bakelite (presumably?) one piece grip (see pictures). Knew this going in but the price was right. Even though I plan to use this one as primarily a shooter I would like to get a set of grips that look right for the period. I could buy another set of one piece wrap around grips but they go for $250, that doesn't bother me. What bothers me is cracking another set of grips since this is a very common failure point.

Got a nice set of post WWII Walther embossed brown post war grips at a reasonable price but they are not clearance for the seer and other areas of the frame. See photos. Close but not exactly. I could probably Dremel and clearance them to make it work but I hate to do that to a nice set of brown factory grips.

Does anyone know of either a set of good molded replacement grips that work for these guns. Preferably in a plastic similar to the original. or should I just forget about collector value and modify the postwar grips.

Attachments

• 100_1915.JPG
      100_1915.JPG
      40.5 KB · Views: 515
    • 100_1916.JPG
      100_1916.JPG
      54.2 KB · Views: 498
    • 100_1908.JPG
      100_1908.JPG
      60.6 KB · Views: 552
    • 100_1918.JPG
      100_1918.JPG
      45.3 KB · Views: 462
    Last edited:

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    This may serve: http://www.historyarms.com/walter_ppk_grips.html

I bought one for my pre-war PPK as I too was concerned about the fragility of the Bakelite grips. The cloned casting is pretty good, but it does not include the metal bushing that the screw is supposed to go into.....the screw just threads into the plastic.

-Jeff

I was looking at those. Ok with that if they fit and look ok. Sure I would be more happy with one with the metal insert even at a greater cost. Im keeping my eagle C pristine, bought this one for a couple times a year range work.

My father actually carries one he got that had the slide buffed, great guns.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I just went through this with mine. I want to let my boy( andthe rest of the family) shoot his great grand father's pistol. I bought 2 piece black Walther grips, not repros, which match the aftermarket mags. I got them from Earls a walther dealer here in the US He dremeled them out so they fit the pre-war ppk. Total was +/- $110 shipped.

http://www.carlwalther.com/grips.htm

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I also replaced the fragile originals with a set from Earl's. The original grip screw was a bit too long, but I got a tiny O-ring that fit around the shaft under the screw head; works fine.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Earls is the Man in the Walther community. Everybody goes to him for everything from PPs to air rifles. A good resource to bookmark if you exercise your Walther and need parts.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Sounds like I should just clearance these post war grips since that's what Earl' does or order the recast phenolics.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Been working on the set of postwar grip panels I have, almost there, gently removing plastic to clearance. Just a little more clearance due to the slight bump out of the disconnecterr when the decocker is engaged. Ever so slight but enough to keep the safety from going to the 90 degree position.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Sure see below. Not bad, took a lot of fitting. Getting it channeled on the left grip was easy, but had to remove a fair amount of material to let the safety disconnector operate freely. That said for $49 on ebay free shipping for postwar they look good. They are a little fatter in the back of the grip.

attachment.php

Considering the guys http://www.historyarms.com/walter_ppk_grips.html never answered me and appear out of stock its probably my best option. I hope history arms runs theirs again, even though they are a little different I wouldn't mind tucking a couple spares away. I know people who bought them an are largely happy given the lack of alternatives.

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    afew years back at a Louisville SOS show a dealer had about 20+ repo PPK grips, one piece & metal insert for $50 each, I picked one with the most gray in it and put it on my late war PPK.

Attachments

• 20180114_193812.jpg
      20180114_193812.jpg
      65 KB · Views: 96

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    That came out very, very nice!

I think I need to try that....

Is this the same or equivalent of your grips: http://www.carlwalther.com/images/g_ppk_post_br.jpg

-tnx,
    Jeff

Yes but I got them off Ebay. This guy, he posts them cheaper periodically.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-P...809664?hash=item2136a69d40:g:Fx8AAOSwzRFaVPWA

Took some patient low speed dremel work but not hard, just a little material off the left grip panel at a time, the right grip fits without modification.

Dan,

I would love to have a set like that. I don't get why someone isn't making repros given that 90% of PPK grips are cracked or will crack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom