105.8 KB · Views: 98

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Today's youngsters wouldn't know how use a chart like that. :lol:

I use the chart mostly for explaning enthalpy and rh to apprentices. Data in and out without the process between doesn't help you learn the relationship and/processes.

If they work with me, they damn well will know how to use it:lol2:

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Is low humidity really an adverse issue with gun furniture? Or is it being blown out of proportion?

I've never seen damage to my gun furniture from low humidity. Ever. I'd rather opt for low humidity anyways... so the possibility of rust and corrosion is mitigated on metallic parts.

Not blown out of proportion at all. Especially if the RH stays low year-round. OP says his room is sealed up really well, so if the RH is uber low in winter, it's still going to be low in the summer. That means that over time, the wood will shrink. I've re-stocked or bedded 4 shotguns over the past 2 years because they were stored in low-humidity environments for long periods of time. All older models that I picked up at auction, but the wood shrunk and that caused the stocks not to join with the frame/receiver at a proper angle leading to chips and/or breaks at the tang and wrist.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Well,
    I put the kids Vics Humidifier up in the room yesterday. Put 2 gallons into it. It went up to 33% then by the morning back to 22%
    I would guess that I'm going to have to keep filling it morning and evening for a while till the hygroscopic items in the room gather moisture.
    I put a gallon in this morning and its up to 35%.
    I'll be content with 1 gallon morning and 1 gallon evening for the next couple months. That give me reasons to go into the room :)

The other floors on my main home are only 25% right now cause the upper level Humidifier has a bad control board. Parts coming in Thursday to fix that.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Invest in a humidifier if you can. I have a whole-house humidifier on my HVAC system and keep the house at 40% during the winter. Besides stuff not drying out, makes a huge difference in livability. Nobody feels cold even with the temperature set at 68-69 degrees.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    So past few weeks, 1 Gal in the morning and 1 Gal in the evening. Humidity is staying 30% or higher in the gun room

The main house already has an Aprileair on both units and it just does not keep up. The downstairs is 30% and upstairs w/ an extra mist humidifier running is 35%.
    I have propane heat, Only when its in the teens or less does it run alot. I bet with a heat pump running longer it would allow more water flow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom