• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EngageSmith

Industry Partner
    May 31, 2011
    Kensington, MD
    You could have a Arsenal or a converted MAK90 for that price.

That's what I'm saying. Buy once, cry once. Get a nice Arsenal the way you want it and be done with it. I'm so sick of seeing these BS Century rifles and other random-shop builds. I've even seen them where the flat buckled during bending, but someone still pressed a barrel in (crooked, I might add) and passed it off as a complete rifle. I wanted to punch someone.

I haven't messed with building AKs, but I've seen so many Arsenals (and personally own one) to know they are worth the money.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    Thread jack alert!!!

If you can find a MAK with a sporter stock, start there and add your own furniture

Any recommendations on after market stocks, assuming one doesn't mind keeping the sporterized thumbhole variety rather than swapping out other parts to remain legal? Only stocks I have found are of the plastic "fiberforce" type, which I am not particulary fond of.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Thread jack alert!!!

Any recommendations on after market stocks, assuming one doesn't mind keeping the sporterized thumbhole variety rather than swapping out other parts to remain legal? Only stocks I have found are of the plastic "fiberforce" type, which I am not particulary fond of.

Ironwood or get an ace adaptor and put a side folder on it.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I think the best solution for the OP would be a non-CAI Maadi, personally. When he gets some more cash, he can take it to a gunsmith for threading and a CNCW short brake.

Oh, and as for furniture: I saw these guys on arfcom, and it looks like they do nice things to IWD furniture for a reasonable price:
    http://www.innovationarms.com/

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    The only "clean" option for a slant cut MAK receiver is an Ironwood stock. Theirs are made to have extra wood to fill in the gap where the slant is.

If you have a square cut receiver then any AKM furniture will work but it will need a *little* wood removed off the sides to fit into the thicker receiver... only .25mm on each side. The front grips will need the same minor tweaks unless you keep the original Chinese ones.

There's also a good amount of Chinese furniture floating around if you wanted to replace the FCG and gain compliance parts elsewhere. But the original Chinese trigger is actually pretty good for a stock AK.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    The only "clean" option for a slant cut MAK receiver is an Ironwood stock. Theirs are made to have extra wood to fill in the gap where the slant is.
    My MAK90 with Slant cut
    gun2.jpg

and My mak90 with strait cut and Norinco Scope
    gun1.jpg

AwesomeBill

Awesome Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Westminster
    Well, that's my answer. Looks like I'll be doing another Saiga conversion. I just don't like the 24mm front ends on the Arsenal conversions. I know it's silly, but I just prefer the looks of 14mm...

Interarms AK's are just as hit ans miss as Century AK's. I consider them all junk unless I handle them and look at every one. The M10 from AIM is the only Romy/Century type AK I have seen many examples of with no serious issues thus far.

Dont buy into the WASR10's are beter now, they arent. If anyone wants a WASR10 get them from a place that inspects them and certifies them, a few places online used to do this. A local Shop may stand behind the sale too.

I convinced Scotts to stop carrying them because of constant problems. We stand behind our sales and you lose money when every other one comes back in your face for function issue.

I spoke one on one with an importer and he told me that WASR10's are built from military reject parts and are bought for pennies on the dollar. Unit cost was like $8.00 per gun before the import process beguns. Yes EIGHT DOLLARS. Century dosent care if 8 out of 10 have issues becasue they are still making a KILLING, if the guns come back and arent fixable they are scrapped for parts kits. Its a win/win for them no matter how its cut.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    Thoughts or feedback?

I have an Interarms Tantal, and its a very nice gun for the price ($600ish). Its probably the cheapest AK that I own, but its never given me any problems in the 200 rounds or so that I have through it. The quality isn't up to the standards of my Arsenals, but for the price, its a fair compromise between an Arsenal, and a Century.

futureseabee

CTT not seabee anymore
    Aug 18, 2008
    Va Beach
    how much do arsenals go for used? i dont need a new AK. anything thats not a rust pit im happy with. i can refinish wood and cold blue scratches just fine... i dont need it to look nice, just function well

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    how much do arsenals go for used? i dont need a new AK. anything thats not a rust pit im happy with. i can refinish wood and cold blue scratches just fine... i dont need it to look nice, just function well

For most Arsenal guns used = new for all practical purposes.

oldman12

Ultimate Member
    Sep 19, 2010
    "Merrica" Eastern Camp
    how do lancaster's compare to arsenals? i'm looking to sell my ak and go top of the line.

I have 2 Lancaster's, If they felt like building a quality rifle that day your ok.If not Their Cust Service SUCKS

Took them a year back and forth to finely replace it,Lies the whole way. They did replace it with their own milled receiver, still needed some

mag latch filing I did myself. the stock was mix-matched and kept a 20 round mag. The lieing is what really made it a bad experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom