• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    We had 10 shooters today including a couple of new faces. We're still missing a few regulars from last season, but I hope to see them soon. It was a hot day, but still very enjoyable. Very much like spending a day shooting with friends that share a common interest. Here are the result from the match. Congrats to Chris for his first shooting with us AND (but I'm sure not his last) time in the winner circle.

Attachments

• AAMay2018_Results.jpg
      AAMay2018_Results.jpg
      53.9 KB · Views: 241

Oddway Otts

Mar 17, 2008
    Harford County
    Great match. :party29: I met my goal (be in the top 20).:innocent0

Just a thought: What might be nice would be a "show & tell" during registration before the match so we can see and learn about some of the really cool rifles that show up.

noddaz

bonehead
    Jan 9, 2014
    Arnold
    For someone that does not know (like me) how does this work? I have never been involved in any shooting competition. But I would sure like to try.

noddaz

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    For someone that does not know (like me) how does this work? I have never been involved in any shooting competition. But I would sure like to try.

noddaz

It's a fun match, for bragging rights. It's very laid back. You have 2 or 3 minutes to out 8 rounds on target at 100 yards. You get to do that 3 times.
    It's a fun way to test yourself, and pit milsurp rifles from various countries against one another.

You need a pre 1960 military rifle in its original configuration. 24 rounds of ammo. Ear and eye protection. A front rest of some sort. Everything else can be explained at the match in a few minutes

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.

noddaz

Here is some complete information. Even though this is technically a competition, keep in mind the feel is more of a bunch of friends with a common interest getting together to shoot.

The rules evolved throughout last season and the latest iteration is below:

$10 entry fee, use your own ammo
    Only one gun per shooter.
    Military issued rifles up to and including 1960
    Smokeless powder cartridge only
    No sporterized stocks or barrels
    Rear peep sights are allowed even if they weren't an issued item, to help equalize the sighting improvements over the 100+ year time period this match covers.(also for those with poor vision)
    Aftermarket scopes ARE allowed even if scopes were not an issue item.
    There will be three simple classes. Optics (anything using glass, or front & rear match peep sights sets), Non-optics which is iron sights including rear peeps (but no front peep) and Rimfire for .22 trainers.
    The range will be at 100 yds
    The targets will be NRA SR-1 100 yd. slow fire
    Front rifle rest only. No sleds or rear bags.
    NO RIFLES ARE TO BE UNCASED OR BROUGHT TO THE SHOOTING BENCH UNTIL THAT COMMAND IS MADE BY THE RANGE OFFICER.
    Round count will be a non scored 3 round "site in" followed by 3 strings of 10 shots. 30 scored shots total, not counting the "site in". Total possible score is 300.
    There will be 5 to 7 shooters on the line at a time shooting one string of 10. Shooters will have 2 minutes to set up their bench after which at the RO command they will have 2 minutes to fire 3 site in / fouling shots followed by a cease fire command. Next will come, at the R.O. command, the first scoring strings. After 2.5 minutes there will be a ceasefire AND ALL BOLTS WILL BE OPENED TO SHOW A CLEAR CHAMBER. Targets will be scored and patched and the shooters will return to the bench and shoot their second string and repeat for the third string. After the their third string the targets will be scored and pulled. The next wave a shooters will then go through the same procedures.
    All shooting will be done from the bench. No prone, or seated on the ground.
    You can use a spotter. We may have some spotting scopes set up, but it's best to bring your own if you want to spot your shots.
    The 2 minute set-up time when you get to the bench includes setting up your spotting scope if you have one.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Pssst! :secret: Katie had the No.4, I had the SMLE.

She wishes she could shoot my SMLE that well! (and I wish I could shoot a No. 4 that well:o)

She'll remind you next time...and she might make you write down alll the numbers that come after it the "4." :D

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

noddaz

Basically, show up with a rifle that fits the criteria, 33 rounds of ammo, PPE and a rest...spotting scope if you want. It is a very friendly group that will take care of you.

knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    Pssst! :secret: Katie had the No.4, I had the SMLE.

She wishes she could shoot my SMLE that well! (and I wish I could shoot a No. 4 that well:o)

She'll remind you next time...and she might make you write down alll the numbers that come after it the "4." :D

That /2 makes all the difference!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom