• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deerslayer

Dec 1, 2014
    Left my stand yesterday at 5 45 after seeing 4 does and a buck none of which would come off the ridge down to the creek bottom where my stand is located (with corn). Pulled the camera tonight only to find that these guys came in 25 minutes after I left yesterday evening. I’m pretty sure they have a camera on me somewhere to monitor my activity. Two nice eight points were at the stand at 7am yesterday so I’ll be there in the am, hopefully they’ll show.

Attachments

• 4AED8B79-54F3-4F2B-8646-98F7E967C9D8.jpg
      4AED8B79-54F3-4F2B-8646-98F7E967C9D8.jpg
      61.4 KB · Views: 163

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Left my stand yesterday at 5 45 after seeing 4 does and a buck none of which would come off the ridge down to the creek bottom where my stand is located (with corn). Pulled the camera tonight only to find that these guys came in 25 minutes after I left yesterday evening. I’m pretty sure they have a camera on me somewhere to monitor my activity. Two nice eight points were at the stand at 7am yesterday so I’ll be there in the am, hopefully they’ll show.

Nice good luck in the morning

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

I thought I was the only person to have that kind of luck. Get back in the woods and harvest some horns....

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Man, just spent the last 2 hours searching well 35 of them trying to find my way back after getting turned around from taking what I thought was perfect shot on a big 8 with great spread. Came in a couple minutes before end of shooting time ended. Gave me a 45 yard broadside shot, took it and after smoke cleared thought i had a good line on him back into a bunch of thick mnt laurel. Gave him some time so when got down it was dark and cannot find blood or him. Heading back in the morning but sucks as a 1:30 drive each way. Been a rough season and thought my luck had changed. Heart was beating out of my chest after I took the shot. Need to find that deer.

Not going to sleep tonight...Keep reliving the moments before and right after the shot and think it was a good shot. Not too rushed, he was stationary and a BIG target. Only found a couple of hairs from where he was standing when I shot him.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Man, just spent the last 2 hours searching well 35 of them trying to find my way back after getting turned around from taking what I thought was perfect shot on a big 8 with great spread. Came in a couple minutes before end of shooting time ended. Gave me a 45 yard broadside shot, took it and after smoke cleared thought i had a good line on him back into a bunch of thick mnt laurel. Gave him some time so when got down it was dark and cannot find blood or him. Heading back in the morning but sucks as a 1:30 drive each way. Been a rough season and thought my luck had changed. Heart was beating out of my chest after I took the shot. Need to find that deer.

Not going to sleep tonight...Keep reliving the moments before and right after the shot and think it was a good shot. Not too rushed, he was stationary and a BIG target. Only found a couple of hairs from where he was standing when I shot him.

If you think it's a good shot, it probably was. I've had issues with "tipped bullets " not expanding and not leaving much of a blood trail.

It's super cold and when you find him in the morning, everything will be fine meat wise.

I shot one at 60 yards, easy shot...smoke didn't clear for a while and found a slight bit of hair zero blood. Literally walked in circles for 30 mins and couldn't find the deer. I looked down and dumb luck I had blood on my camo. Found a trail and he was piled up 20 yards from where I was.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Yeah, I was using Federal B.O.R. Lock's. New to me this year. Great on the range and positive reviews. We will see...

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    The buck i shot opening day hopped, kicked and took off. Let a bit of time go by then started looking. Dark was coming. Not a single spot of blood for 40 yards....thought he was gone.

I looked up the trail and ironically, there was a big splash of blood on a small tree that he he previously rubbed. From there, we started seeing consistent blood. Found him 20 yards down the face of a super steep hill. His hoove got stuck between two saplings. Prevented him from tumbling end over end down to the bottom.

45/70 didnt expand at all.

Good luck!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    At the Howard county dump. Just saw a nice 8 point leading 3 big does and a bigger 8 point trotting across the backside of the dump.

They know where to hang out.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Tell me about it. They opened a new dog park in Abingdon and while there I noticed a bunch of deer around the woods on the property. I contacted Harford County asking for permission to bow hunt their woods. They said no. There must be 100 acres of woods around the dog park. There will be a lot of deer in those woods by next year.

No chance at all of hunting the property according to the folks who run the dog park. That sucks, I thought I was going to have a semi private property to hunt 5 minutes from my house.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Heartbroken. Looked from first light till around 10. Started looking most likely places, nada. Started doing circles starting 10 yards out from where he was when shot all the way out to well over 150 yards and could not find a drop of blood. Followed what looked to be fresh tracks and some broken small branches extended distances to nothing. Checked the creek banks, heavy stands of laurel, the small revine, all empty..Had a buddy with me who is pretty good hunter and we could not come up with him.

Beyond confused. Found like 3 hairs last night...

Going to need grief counseling.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Sorry to hear this. You did your best to find the deer. I guess it's just not meant to be. Better luck next time.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Heartbroken. Looked from first light till around 10. Started looking most likely places, nada. Started doing circles starting 10 yards out from where he was when shot all the way out to well over 150 yards and could not find a drop of blood. Followed what looked to be fresh tracks and some broken small branches extended distances to nothing. Checked the creek banks, heavy stands of laurel, the small revine, all empty..Had a buddy with me who is pretty good hunter and we could not come up with him.

Sorry to hear that!!! There is a member here who has a dog that might be helpful for tracking, I forget the username.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

Get yourself a spray bottle of hydrogen peroxide, and a roll of toilet paper.

Spray peroxide around where you placed the shot, look for bubbling place a piece of toilet paper on the ground and continue. It a destroys any sign for tracking, but it works.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Heartbroken. Looked from first light till around 10. Started looking most likely places, nada...

Eff that! Don't get sad. Get mad! Kill something. Never give up!

I missed my "target buck" two days ago. I refused to feel bad about the shot or the miss. Season's still rolling. You have just as much chance now as you did when you missed. Next time, don't miss...

I didn't. ;)

Attachments

• 4th buck.jpg
      4th buck.jpg
      145.1 KB · Views: 126

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Sorry to hear that!!! There is a member here who has a dog that might be helpful for tracking, I forget the username.

I think he's hunting on the shore this week. His screen name is Derwood. Send him a PM.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Eff that! Don't get sad. Get mad! Kill something. Never give up!

I missed my "target buck" two days ago. I refused to feel bad about the shot or the miss. Season's still rolling. You have just as much chance now as you did when you missed. Next time, don't miss...

I didn't. ;)

Tell us the truth.

You're importing these massive bucks from Missouri aren't you.

Or some other muley state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom