• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    I would, but for the policies of where I work and not being allowed to have a pocket knife... But, hey, when an active shooter arrives, I can throw a stapler...

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Gibbs rule 9. I think I can count the times i didn't gave a knife on me on one hand over the past couple decades. To me, there is no reason to not have a blade on you somewhere. I almost always have the pmII alucard got me. I usually also have my control. I also have a swiss-card in my wallet. The contego is my beater knife for hard use, the pmII is clean and used for stuff like chopping up food for my son's, and the Swiss card is my non-threatening blade for those kinds of occasions.

I'm more amazed that people don't carry flashlights. I use my eagtac dx30sr all the damned time. I've been teaching before and had my school completely lose all power. It was sure nice to have a thousand lumens or so in my pocket right then.

I also carry some kind of bleeding control. When I have my kid-bag, I've got a pretty stacked med-kit with celox/CAT/SWATT/gauze/ other stuff. When traveling light, I usually have at least the SWATT. It's smaller than a wallet and can help save a life in a sudden arterial bleed, so why not?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I have one I use as a money clip that I carry every day, some times a folder in my other pocket too.

guess I'm old school, I feel naked without a knife or watch.

Ken Robinson delivered a funny anecdote about young people and watches in one of his speeches about the industrial vs. organic approach to education. He pointed out that people under 30 largely don't wear watches because they grew up with smartphones and don't see the point of a "single-function device". It's a funny speech and he makes some good points on education.

730dc

Mar 11, 2013
    they using that as profiling purposes asking for a knife :innocent0

i always try to have one on me have but as i have forgotten in the past i bought me one of them key look alike knifes for you key chain not bad for basic task open mail box cut tape plastic shirt string . ect

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Yes, not only that many do not carry one, when someone has one, you hear "why do you have that knife?"

I have the same leatherman on my keychain. Wife gave me for xmas 5 years ago about. But I keep an inexpensive Kershaw in my pocket. I think one shoulc come free with an Amazon Prime account :)

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    I carry my knife everyday. Have even been teased about it.......untill that person needed it. It makes a great letter opener.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Carry at least 1 knife everyday. Since I can't carry a "pocketknife" at work I used the loophole of having a tiny Swiss Army knife on my keychain. Keys,wallet, cellphone and knife. Can't leave home without them.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    A knife and a hankie always.

This.
    I think part of it is the " no weapons allowed" rules nowadays so people don't carry one. I have a 2 1/2" long Shrade Oldtimer with 3 blades that I have carried for 25 yrs. The 2 times I have flown it was packed in luggage and put in my pocket at first chance.
    I bought my 1st pocketknife on a 3rd grade field trip to the B+O museum and carried it until it was stolen during a neighborhood football game. In 1970 a boy could walk up to the counter and buy a pocket knife with no problem.

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    A knife and a hankie always.

Always.
    Had a coworker snicker with surprise one day when I sneezed and pulled out my handkerchief and wiped my nose with it. Asked what it was!
    I askied him WTF he does when he sneezes and has snot all on his face and hands. He couldnt say anything.
    I then proceeded to show him how my grandfather taught me how to use a hankie to wrap the balisong in my hand so as to not drop it or have the knife slide around the hand when the knife is bloodied.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    Spyderco Dragonfly 2, VG-10. Even legal in Federal buildings.

Amen & agree with OP sentiments. If I'm dressed, I'm carrying a knife (unless flying commercial and then there's at least one in my checked bag). I also keep spares (or multi-tools) in my vehicle and office.

Sadly, I've been working mostly in an office or lab environment for years. To my knowledge, only 2 of the engineers edc knives in my primary building.
    People make snide comments at work frequently, then ask to borrow my knife at some point later. No kidding, I usually hand them scissors. I never make a snide comment in return but my intention is to make the statement, "that's the tool you deserve fancy lad - now put a reminder on your smart watch to go buy a pocket knife so you can cut string without my help."

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    I tried to start carrying a knife daily clipped to my pants pocket. Ended up scratching the side of my new car with it geting in or out . . . . twice.

That was the end of that experiment.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I tried to start carrying a knife daily clipped to my pants pocket. Ended up scratchibg the side of my new car with it geting in or out . . . . twice.

That was the end of that experiment.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

*a helpful hint...don't use the clip...*

;)

Steyr40

Mar 3, 2012
    AA County
    I've carried a small Kershaw folder every day for the past five years. Before then my job was such that I couldn't. I use it for everything from scoring drywall to scratch off tickets. Seems strange that a man wouldn't carry one.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I experienced something similar on the soccer field.....they couldnt get the net untangled. Coach came over and said, "I know you have a knife". I said sure and handed him my new Emerson.

When he brought it back it was covered in dirt and had grass on it. The stupid SOB used it to dig out a stake that was buried too deep and he couldnt pull it out.

UFB!

All I carry daily are sub $4 Walmart knives. Don't care if someone uses it for something like that or if it gets lost. It's not ideal in a survival situation but for day to day and self defense it will do the job.

If I worked in a job that called for a better knife I'd carry my Al Mar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom