• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    So, was wondering if an Alias or abbreviate version of the trust name is allowed when engraving something.

So, if you trust title is "John T Smith Revocable Living Trust" can you engrave "JTSRLT" instead?

Or can you add those initials in the trust as an Alias to the trust name and then use it to engrave items?

Just curious.

Thanks,

Dave

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Pretty sure the answer is 'no'. Naming a trust to make things easier is a smart move.. mine is two words, total of 8 characters.. :D

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Pretty sure the answer is 'no'. Naming a trust to make things easier is a smart move.. mine is two words, total of 8 characters.. :D

Wish mine was. When created there was a lot of issues at BATFE accepting abbreviations and BATFE was rejecting the trusts so, mine has my full name and title.

Oh well, only one more thing to engrave anyway. With the law changes I will be doing individual for any new stuff.

Dave

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I have a receiver with only three letters engraved even though the full name of the FFL holder/manufacturer was 15 characters or more.

The ATF has every reason to want full names for trusts or FFL holders on paperwork, otherwise there will inevitably be duplicate records. Hell even "John Smith Trust" is probably already taken twice.

But you can abbreviate within reason when engraving. IANAL but I have some a few home-rolled receivers that passed the ATF sniff test that were abbreviated (long story, and different than the three-letter engraving mentioned above).

Think of it like this: between a serial #, and an abbreviated manufacturer name and location you can get a pretty reliable a records match.

Even though the ATF doesn't keep records of every single NICs transfer. Of course they don't.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Maybe it's not relevant, but they do allow abbreviations elsewhere. The import stamp for "Century Arms International; St Albans VT" is CAI ST ALB VT. Whether that helps in your case, I can't say.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Abbreviations are not allowed as far as I know. I'm pretty sure the form1 instructions state the trust name must appear on the receiver exactly as it is recorded. You may amend your trust's name, but until then, you must engrave the receiver/silencer/etc exactly as your trust is recorded.

Sorry.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I thought ahead in the naming of the Trust, to be reasonably short, and not scream my name.

And then only bought Form 4's .

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Abbreviations are not allowed as far as I know. I'm pretty sure the form1 instructions state the trust name must appear on the receiver exactly as it is recorded. You may amend your trust's name, but until then, you must engrave the receiver/silencer/etc exactly as your trust is recorded.

Sorry.

This is what I remember.

Only abbreviations allowed are the state name.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD

Sorry.

How would I go about amending the trust Name?

Send a letter to BATFE with new name?

Dave

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    How would I go about amending the trust Name?

Send a letter to BATFE with new name?

Dave

In order to change your trust name, you cannot have any NFA weapons registered in your existing trust name. If you do, then your best bet is to just start another trust with a shortened name. Something that works with Form 1 regulations (space requirements) and register these weapons under the new name. You would have to pay the fee to remove your existing weapons from your existing trust and add them to your new trust

Short answer. If you already have weapons in a trust, just start a new trust with a shorter name. You will have 2 trusts, but there's nothing wrong with that.

I am not a lawyer, but I'm just explaining what I know from personal experience.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    What disadvantage is there in having a different trust for each different NFA item? Especially considering the updated rules...

Also is there anything stopping you from using any name. For example, could you pick a trust name to go along with the historic stamping on a gun. For example, say you were making an SBR of a Colt M16A1. Could you name your trust Colt M16A1 so that it would look correct when written on the side of the receiver?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    What disadvantage is there in having a different trust for each different NFA item? Especially considering the updated rules...

Also is there anything stopping you from using any name. For example, could you pick a trust name to go along with the historic stamping on a gun. For example, say you were making an SBR of a Colt M16A1. Could you name your trust Colt M16A1 so that it would look correct when written on the side of the receiver?

You would still have engrave the city and state where the SBR is being made.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    You would still have engrave the city and state where the SBR is being made.

I understand the city and state being spelled out and engraved. Just was curious about shortening the name of the trust on the engraving. Especially after this new trust rules that went into affect. Might as well do it individual now.

Dave

ducrider45

Jul 29, 2011
    Severn
    Under MD law, I think that your trust can create a secondary trust, as long as the beneficiary stays the same. the trustees can differ, but not the beneficiaries. The secondary trust could have a shorter name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom