• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    got the round out of the chamber last night (froze the barreled action overnight, then took it out and let it warm to room temp--the brass expands slower than the steel--and was able to knock the round out with a cleaning rod, .30-cal jag, and a couple solid whacks with a dead blow) and sure enough, it's about .005" too long.

Rifle's good. SAAMI spec rounds fit in the chamber perfectly. marked up a shoulder of a spankin new case and a case that was full-length resized in a hornady custom-grade new dimension die. chambered both, no markings were removed on the shoulder. smith knows he chambered it slightly tighter than remington does, but let's be honest--remington's factory throat is deeper than jenna jameson's.

he also confirmed that a round that is as little as .003" larger than saami length at the shoulder is going to be "more than snug", and even larger will create issues.

Not that federal would be willing to admit blame, of course. whatever. it's out, the rifle's okay, and i'm getting a CNC'd handle tig welded on, with threads available to change out bolt knobs on a whim.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    oh it hasn't, russ.

i'm still selling the rifle when the bolt's fixed, and selling a lot more of my firearms as well. i'll keep a few for hunting/etc, but most of 'em are out. today's demilling day on a lot of the ak's after work.

hawxter996

this avatar is offensive!
    Nov 11, 2008
    at home
    rc planes wouldnt be a good hobby for you!

dont give up man,you have put a lot of effort into your collection.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    How many times must it be said that THE AMMO IN QUESTION WAS FACTORY FEDERAL GOLD MEDAL MATCH? The OP stated it on the first page. And this situation is not uncommon per se. This is why threads get so fouled up...8 pages of speculation.

edhallor

Feb 23, 2010
    Aberdeen
    I had a seized bolt on my MN91/30, stuck it in a vice, beat it with a mallet and poof! Problem solved. Thanks to this thread I now know not to use that method on other bolt actions :)
    Good reason I like to fire ex-military weapons they seem to be built like tanks and take massive abuse. have the 91/30 in several variations, numerous SKS, K98, P38 many Toks and so on with very little problem. have a S&W .38 Special for 40 years, thousand of rounds put through it not one Hiccup.
    Yet I constantly read about modern high end weapons that seem to be made of Pot Metal.
    I know some of the ex-military stuff has went Kaboom but most times it is poor user problems, fail to check headspace, butcher an alteration, firing modern ammo in a NATO weapon etc., not weapon failure.
    Pushing $1,000 for a top end weapon you would think it would be manufactured to higher standards. It's no wonder a Shooter would want to scrap his guns for Golf Clubs.
    Damm shame when you are safer firing a 200 Year old Brown Bess, in his position I would be Pi__ed Off too.

Eddie O

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    man been following this and sucks big time...been there done that a while ago.. but I kept everything, got into photography..kept all the guns.. same problem with my first muscle car.. all kinds of problems, crap didn't fit, everything had to be modified in one way or another ...had for sale signs on it and a friend of mine kept taking them down...and glad I listened my 71 SS-454 chevelle is worth alot more than I paid for it. Same with some of the guns I have worth a lot more than what I paid for them... my advice is to "walk away" don't sell em, just walk away do something else..for a while... then come back to it.. I walked away from anything guns..back in late 80's early 90's..heard about this place, lurked didn't sign up for a while, then took one of my old SA M1A's out to shoot.. joined up here and now back at it with a clear mind..."relaxed" feeling...just put them away...walk away from the "scene"..you will know when it's time to come back... just a thought..

-Rock

Yeah, I did this with photography. I have a few ultralarge format cameras that, if sold, I wouldn't be able to replace; I've just hung on to them. I know some day, I'll be back.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Yeah, I did this with photography. I have a few ultralarge format cameras that, if sold, I wouldn't be able to replace; I've just hung on to them. I know some day, I'll be back.

yeah man...was into photography big time..darkroom,enlargers,filters....I have learned that and being older maybe wiser..take a deep breath ...step back..and walk away.. do something else..it's not like it will cost you more if you keep them..just like you with those cameras...most all of Smith & Colt revolvers are NIB,some are not made anymore..same with HK91,93,94's yeah I got pissed..fed up but kept them, took the route of photography.. Ultra large format ..that was gonna be my next step...but never made it there...

-Rock

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Ferret, can't you just sell some of your work since it's on a serialized NoDak receiver? What are the ATF rules on downsizing a collection with some home-built guns?

Exactly...I would be interested and if you ever would want them back..you can for what you sold them for...did that with a car a friend had, he got transfered and I still have it..and he didn't want it back...long time ago...

-Rock

edhallor

Feb 23, 2010
    Aberdeen
    man been following this and sucks big time...been there done that a while ago.. but I kept everything, got into photography..kept all the guns.. same problem with my first muscle car.. all kinds of problems, crap didn't fit, everything had to be modified in one way or another ...had for sale signs on it and a friend of mine kept taking them down...and glad I listened my 71 SS-454 chevelle is worth alot more than I paid for it. Same with some of the guns I have worth a lot more than what I paid for them... my advice is to "walk away" don't sell em, just walk away do something else..for a while... then come back to it.. I walked away from anything guns..back in late 80's early 90's..heard about this place, lurked didn't sign up for a while, then took one of my old SA M1A's out to shoot.. joined up here and now back at it with a clear mind..."relaxed" feeling...just put them away...walk away from the "scene"..you will know when it's time to come back... just a thought..

-Rock
    had a 69 Mach I 428 SCJ, C6 411 Gears traded it for a Station Wagon when I got Married. Told ya I misplaced my Balls on a shelf somewhere, If only I had Garaged that car?
    Eddie O

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    yeah man...was into photography big time..darkroom,enlargers,filters....I have learned that and being older maybe wiser..take a deep breath ...step back..and walk away.. do something else..it's not like it will cost you more if you keep them..just like you with those cameras...most all of Smith & Colt revolvers are NIB,some are not made anymore..same with HK91,93,94's yeah I got pissed..fed up but kept them, took the route of photography.. Ultra large format ..that was gonna be my next step...but never made it there...

-Rock

My first undergrad is in photography. I was a commercial photographer for 17 years; just got burnt out. I have a 7x17 and an 11x14 camera waiting for me when I'm ready to go back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom