• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Im looking at more options for optics. I am now looking into EOtechs. I have my eye on the 552.XR308. It will be going on my RRA LAR-8. Eventually if I were to settle on EOtech, I will be adding a magnifier as well but thats pretty far down the road. The XPS3-0 also has my attention. It says it has a NV version, which I like, but dont know what that looks like. I see all the EOtechs have the NV button but that only changes the reticle color. Basically I see there are a ton of EOtech models, a few of which I played with at the Gunshow in PA, I dont know which particular models but I do remember playing with the brightness and the NV button.

Heres pretty much what Im looking for with th EOtech:
    I like the night vision option
    The ability to change the size of the reticle for long or short range shooting

It seems like the XPS3-2 has those options, but Im confused with all the models. Half of them have the same features listed...so whats the difference?

Im still researching but thought I would start looking for some clarity.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    The NV models dim the recticle so that it's only seen when you have Night Vision on. As for the various models, there are various recticle patterns and caliber models.

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    +1 :thumbsup: I have an XPS2-2. Nice sight and it doesn't take up much rail space.

+2.
    I own an XPS2-0 and its a great little HWS. Rugged, pretty light, not much rail space. 1MOA dot is very accurate, the bigger 65MOA circle is great for ranging and fast shots. Battery life on the XPS is more predictable than the older models (EOTech's battery life is not insanely long at only 600 hours, but what was giving operators problems was the reality that some units were getting significantly less than 600 hours).

If you buy an EoTech, buy a box of batteries as well to throw in your range bag. That way, if you get a blinking reticle, you are all set to swap them out.

Unless you are running Night Vision, there is no reason to get the XPS3.

The ONLY difference between the 2-0, 2-1, and 2-2 is the reticles. 2-0 is 1MOA dot inside 65MOA circle; 2-1 is the single 1MOA dot; 2-2 is two 1MOA dots inside a 65MOA circle (the lower one is for longer range shots, i.e. something of a bullet drop compensator).

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    So this:

"■Available in Night Vision (XPS3) and non- Night Vision (XPS2) versions. The numbers reflect the number of the buttons on the back of the sight"

means that there is 3 buttons on the back, the up and down arrows and the NV button(for the NV version)

The ones I played with at the gunshow had 3 buttons, one labeled NV. So that is the nightvison version that I played with. Makes sense, thats cleared up.

I am consfused about the XPS3-0, XPS3-1 and XPS3-2...they seem to be the exact same sight, even the pic the reticles look the same.

It doesnt look like the XPS comes in different caliber versions, correct?

The site is also confusing becasue when you click products and it has all the differenct categorys, military, law, hunting, it really shows the same sights in each one.:banghead:

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    So this:

I am consfused about the XPS3-0, XPS3-1 and XPS3-2...they seem to be the exact same sight, even the pic the reticles look the same.

It doesnt look like the XPS comes in different caliber versions, correct?

The XPS2 and XPS3 -0, -1, & -2 reticles look like the attached. No difference between XPS2 and XPS3 on the reticle options.

I don't think the XPS2-2 or XPS3-2 reticle is calibered to a specific load; if it is, it is Mk 855 or Mk 193 5.56NATO (something like the top dot is your POA for 100m and the bottom dot is POA for 300m, but don't quote me on that).

Be careful buying an EoTech at a gun show (or anything else for that matter), as there are lots of faux EoTechs out there.

Attachments

• XPS%20Reticle%20Options[1].jpg
      XPS%20Reticle%20Options[1].jpg
      16.5 KB · Views: 958

4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    I have an Eotech 512.A65 that takes standard AA batteries. I have never ran them continously, so its hard to gauge how long the batteries last. I do know that the only difference between mine version and the version that is LV compatible is that the reticle dims to a low enough level as not to appear too bright through the NV. See my Eotech mounted on the Ultimak gas tube of my Arsenal USA/Global Trades SSR-56-2 in our AK-47 gallery.

Last edited:

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Hi, there are a couple things about the original post that made me concerned. First is that you mention that the NV button changed the reticle color. That is an immediate sign of a fake EOTech. EOTech's are always red, only. The holographic technology requires a laser to illuminate and having two co existing on axis lasers would be very difficult.

Second is a changing reticle. Since the reticle in an EOTech is imprinted into the glass that you look through, you can not change the reticle on an EOTech. The one you get fron the factory is the one you'll have for the life of the scope. If the reticle changes it is not a real EOTech.

I own a 552 and like it a lot. If I had it to do over I'd probably go with the XPS3 due to it's smaller size. Either way it's my opinion that both options are good and better than the other expensive dots in tubes.

-Jim

c33m0n3y

Mar 14, 2010
    Howard County
    If you plan to put a magnifier you may want to get one w/ the buttons on the side. I have the 557 with the 3x mag. If you buy it as a package you can get it for about $900 delivered from Optics Planet. It is designed for the .223 round with built- in bullet drop dots for ranges over 200 m

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    If you plan to put a magnifier you may want to get one w/ the buttons on the side. I have the 557 with the 3x mag. If you buy it as a package you can get it for about $900 delivered from Optics Planet. It is designed for the .223 round with built- in bullet drop dots for ranges over 200 m

Or use a flip to the side mount for your magnifier. I have one of those and it really helps if you have an EOTech with rear control buttons...

Jamie

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Getting some good info here guys thanks ALOT! Im very glad that some signs of fakes were pointed out. I got the chance to play with some at the Air Show Sunday at Andrew AFB. Altough the ones they had on display were pretty beat, it was a testament to how tuff they are. Im still trying to decide for my optic though. I think Im pretty set on an EOtech at the moment...Id really like to have the 6x ACOG but yeah...2500 is not anywhere near the budget I have. Still researching, but at the moment it seems like the EOtech is it, people who have EO's keep chiming in, I like getting feedback. If any of you would happen to be going to cresap range this weekend I would really like the chance to check out one of these optics.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Me too. The ring is a perfect 65 MOA circle and can be used for range finding with a little practice. Additionally the circle helps me get on to target just a hair faster than a plain dot in a tube.

For plinking, probably not much difference. For HD, I'm all about the plain jane standard EOTech reticle.

Archangel

Jul 19, 2005
    Originally posted here, a summary of the EOtech models:

If you are not planning on ever using night vision, don't bother to pay extra for a 55x. A 51x will be cheaper. (ie, the 512 is the same as a 552 but without night vision capability)

I'd call the 512 the "base model." It runs on AA's. (Stick with Lithium AA's in Eotechs for best performance, ie lighter weight, last longer, better heat and cold resistance).

The 552 is the 512 plus night vision.

The 511 is the same as the 512, but takes N batteries instead of AA's. The 551 is the night vision version.

The 553 takes CR123 batteries, has an ARMS throw lever quick disconnect mount, and is raised 7mm to put irons in a lower 1/3 co-witness (as opposed to the direct co-witness of the 511/512/551/552). This higher plane is required to align with some magnifiers. I prefer the lower 1/3 co-witness even without a magnifier, because I run with fixed BUIS. YMMV.

The 511/512/551/552 models can be made to lower 1/3 co-witness with a riser from Larue, Yankee Hill, Rock River, and probably others. The 553 can't be lowered to a direct co-witness.

There is no 513.

The 555 is a 553 that takes AA's. There is no 515.

The 556 is like the 553 (raised mount, CR123 batteries), but moves the buttons to the side, and does not have the ARMS levers. The 516 is the non-NV version.

The 557 has the raised mount and side buttons, but takes AA batteries. It also has additional 1moa dots in the reticle calibrated for drop at 300, 400, 500, and 600 meters. The 517 is the non-NV version, and does not have the additional dots.

XPS is the single transverse CR123 battery model. It is available in Night vision (XPS3) and non-night vision(XPS2), with three available reticles (-0: the "standard" eotech 65 moa circle and 1moa dot, -1: a single 1moa dot only, and -2: the standard reticle plus an additional dot for long range holdover.) As far as I can tell, the XPS has the direct co-witness height (ie non-elevated) mount.

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    Have you considered an Aimpoint? They're supposedly tougher than an EOtech if you're looking for durability.

EoTech's have been to Iraq and Afghanistan and back, seeing much worse than 99.9999% of civilian users will ever dish out. So they are both equally durable for the vast majority of users. Aimpoint has a huge battery life advantage, no doubt. Aimpoint might be a few oz lighter as well. EoTech offers a wider choices of reticles, so that is an advantage to them (some of which range, which is very nice). Beyond these two points, I think it is a personal choice - do you like looking thru a tube or thru a square screen? Personally I think Aimpoints are more likely to produce "tunnel vision" and that EoTechs offer better situational awareness, but this is just my humble opinion. What is nice is that operators have the choice :thumbsup:

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    EoTech's have been to Iraq and Afghanistan and back, seeing much worse than 99.9999% of civilian users will ever dish out. So they are both equally durable for the vast majority of users. Aimpoint has a huge battery life advantage, no doubt. Aimpoint might be a few oz lighter as well. EoTech offers a wider choices of reticles, so that is an advantage to them (some of which range, which is very nice). Beyond these two points, I think it is a personal choice - do you like looking thru a tube or thru a square screen? Personally I think Aimpoints are more likely to produce "tunnel vision" and that EoTechs offer better situational awareness, but this is just my humble opinion. What is nice is that operators have the choice :thumbsup:

I was offering the man another option. Also, see this thread: http://mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=33836

The tunnel vision thing is addressed. Also, Aimpoints are issued to troops in greater numbers, and not just US troops. Lighter, also, amazing battery life. Durability in general is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom