• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    I now work part time and it includes Saturdays, a day popular in uspsa, idpa and steel matches. I've only found a couple of ranges "local" to Carroll County that host regular Sunday matches:

The Machine Gun Nest (Frederick, MD; USPSA)
    Maryland Practical Shoots Association (Thurmont, MD; USPSA)
    Delta Peach Bottom Fish and Game (Delta, PA; Steel Challenge)

The first above is weekly, the other two are monthly. Any others out there you know of?

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Ontelaunee uspsa in PA. bit of a drive for MDers but worth it as its hands down the best level 1 uspsa match within 3hrs

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Ontelaunee uspsa in PA. bit of a drive for MDers but worth it as its hands down the best level 1 uspsa match within 3hrs

have you shot at fredericksburg, how's it stack up? fburg runs a great uspsa match (sunday, by the way, generally first sunday each month) but i've heard really great things about ontelauneee.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    have you shot at fredericksburg, how's it stack up? fburg runs a great uspsa match (sunday, by the way, generally first sunday each month) but i've heard really great things about ontelauneee.

I have heard good things about fburg but haven't shot it yet. my match day is generally Saturday but I would like to get to an fburg match at some point.

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    Bridgeville USPSA is starting up and is on the first Sunday of the month.

Not to hijack this thread but I want to try IDPA or USPA shooting but never had the opportunity. I need to learn and try. I want to do the Target Focus trading to get started but not sure what/where would be a beginner friendly event. Anyone have any ideas?

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Not to hijack this thread but I want to try IDPA or USPA shooting but never had the opportunity. I need to learn and try. I want to do the Target Focus trading to get started but not sure what/where would be a beginner friendly event. Anyone have any ideas?

We are somewhat in the same boat. I'm more familiar with the pistol caliber carbine and 5.56 carbine competitions (I use red dots so I can where my prescription glasses to correct nearsightedness) but have yet to shoot pistol with the iron sights, but I want to give it a try.

I will be training with Trevor May 11 and 25. He only does this on week days but I'm retired and only working part time and have Friday's free. I had an extraordinary experience training for PCC last year during a one on one course with Trevor, so it's worth the modest monetary outlay.

I'm also going to try to observe my first IDPA match (it's just been USPSA for me so far) at Lewisberry PA Sunday May 6. While a 90 minute drive, I really need to see how the rules compare with USPSA. If you want to shoot up together, let me know. I'm in Carroll County south of Westminster.

Finally, the lowest "stress level" shooting might be Steel Challenge and the variants. I'm signed up for Super Steel at Peacemaker in WV may 26th. Delta Peach in PA has a nice Steel match on May 27, but that's the same day as Thurmont's monthly USPSA match. I need to see if Thurmont will allow me to shoot pistol there (I've never been, oddly enough), or if I have to take their safety briefing. It's up in the air right now what seems like more fun for me that Sunday.

Holler if you want to car pool. I'm 60 and generally well behaved...

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010

Thurmont might be a bit of a drive from where you are, but MPSA has good matches that a beginner can shoot without any problems. The first thing I would suggest is to download the rules book from the USPSA website and get familiar with the safety rules. Then learn about the different divisions and their equipment restrictions and rules. I have seen some beginner shooters go to their first match to shoot Production and are intimidated by how good some of the better Open shooters perform, even though they are shooting in different divisions. I also think it's best for you to go shoot and learn what works for you and what doesn't. The most important thing is to have fun and enjoy the shoot.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    We are somewhat in the same boat. I'm more familiar with the pistol caliber carbine and 5.56 carbine competitions (I use red dots so I can where my prescription glasses to correct nearsightedness) but have yet to shoot pistol with the iron sights, but I want to give it a try.

I will be training with Trevor May 11 and 25. He only does this on week days but I'm retired and only working part time and have Friday's free. I had an extraordinary experience training for PCC last year during a one on one course with Trevor, so it's worth the modest monetary outlay.

I'm also going to try to observe my first IDPA match (it's just been USPSA for me so far) at Lewisberry PA Sunday May 6. While a 90 minute drive, I really need to see how the rules compare with USPSA. If you want to shoot up together, let me know. I'm in Carroll County south of Westminster.

Finally, the lowest "stress level" shooting might be Steel Challenge and the variants. I'm signed up for Super Steel at Peacemaker in WV may 26th. Delta Peach in PA has a nice Steel match on May 27, but that's the same day as Thurmont's monthly USPSA match. I need to see if Thurmont will allow me to shoot pistol there (I've never been, oddly enough), or if I have to take their safety briefing. It's up in the air right now what seems like more fun for me that Sunday.

Holler if you want to car pool. I'm 60 and generally well behaved...

I want train with Trevor also. Wonder if he has room on the 11th that I could just in on? I will send him a message, that is if your looking for company or maybe I can do it on another date. I have shot at Deltas Steel matches before but only a few times and I sucked. Lol. I enjoyed it though.
    I am looking to observe a IDPA shoot at AAFG in Annapolis at the end of May but if I can break free on the 6th I will shoot you a Pm. I’m mid 50s and pretty much we’ll behaved too. Lol.
    I am definitely interested in Thurmont too. I have heard from Davesco that Peacemaker in WV is good and even offered to help me get started. I will look into the Super Steel event. I need to get a holster and belt to get started.
    I’m sure I will be sending you a PM soon.

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    Thurmont might be a bit of a drive from where you are, but MPSA has good matches that a beginner can shoot without any problems. The first thing I would suggest is to download the rules book from the USPSA website and get familiar with the safety rules. Then learn about the different divisions and their equipment restrictions and rules. I have seen some beginner shooters go to their first match to shoot Production and are intimidated by how good some of the better Open shooters perform, even though they are shooting in different divisions. I also think it's best for you to go shoot and learn what works for you and what doesn't. The most important thing is to have fun and enjoy the shoot.

Thank you for the great info...

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    I want train with Trevor also. Wonder if he has room on the 11th that I could just in on? I will send him a message, that is if your looking for company or maybe I can do it on another date. I have shot at Deltas Steel matches before but only a few times and I sucked. Lol. I enjoyed it though.
    I am looking to observe a IDPA shoot at AAFG in Annapolis at the end of May but if I can break free on the 6th I will shoot you a Pm. I’m mid 50s and pretty much we’ll behaved too. Lol.
    I am definitely interested in Thurmont too. I have heard from Davesco that Peacemaker in WV is good and even offered to help me get started. I will look into the Super Steel event. I need to get a holster and belt to get started.
    I’m sure I will be sending you a PM soon.

Just a note a conflict with May 11 has come up. If I can resolve that I'll still head to Taneytown and work with Trevor on that date....

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Frederick IWLA IDPA
    www.frederickiwla.org

Our next match is set for Saturday, May 26.

We will have 2 IDPA squads in the morning, and another 2 IDPA squads in the afternoon. Each squad will accommodate 6-8 people.

Registration opens on May 10th at noon here: https://practiscore.com/frederick-iwla-idpa-26may18/register

The match will comprise 90+ rounds, & 5 stages with all but one requiring movement, either front, sideways, or backwards, as well as getting up, getting down, and even throwing down. For the stage not requiring movement, you're still going to have to be really fast.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Frederick IWLA IDPA
    www.frederickiwla.org

Our next match is set for Saturday, May 26.

We will have 2 IDPA squads in the morning, and another 2 IDPA squads in the afternoon. Each squad will accommodate 6-8 people.

Registration opens on May 10th at noon here: https://practiscore.com/frederick-iwla-idpa-26may18/register

The match will comprise 90+ rounds, & 5 stages with all but one requiring movement, either front, sideways, or backwards, as well as getting up, getting down, and even throwing down. For the stage not requiring movement, you're still going to have to be really fast.

Not familiar with that, can you explain what that means?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom