Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Maryland Regional Discussions > Southern Maryland
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old April 11th, 2019, 07:43 AM #31

I said this in the other thread

I bid both the remodels, didn’t get them because the Stste takes the absolute low bidder and when shit doesn’t work out they have to figure out what to do , like coming up with more money

They don’t have funds to do all the work at once or add lanes.

The state things very little of having ranges period much less keeping them up but since they have this one they are funding this work

This bid includes fixing the messed up baffles and change the supports to steel
Re grading some to try and keep the mud down
Getting rid of the shed
Patching the concrete and overlaying it
Putting a pergala over the roof of the line
New shooting benches

And the reason they don’t do it in the winter is outside winter work takes longer and costs more

Edit: if people acted like they had some sense and didn’t shoot the baffles and stand up top and shoot over the berm then the don’t and the state would be easier to get along with
during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

NRA life member
Va ccw
Fla ccw
MSI
44man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2019, 11:48 AM #32

I just don't understand how those baffles get shot up so bad unless it's done on purpose. I've never come close to hitting a baffle and I bet most here could say the same. I could understand a few rounds from ND, but those baffles have had thousands of hits. Has anyone seen people shooting the baffles while you were there?
NeutronBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2019, 12:17 PM #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutronBlu View Post
I just don't understand how those baffles get shot up so bad unless it's done on purpose. I've never come close to hitting a baffle and I bet most here could say the same. I could understand a few rounds from ND, but those baffles have had thousands of hits. Has anyone seen people shooting the baffles while you were there?

The times I have been there I didn't see anyone shoot them. But as I said before install some CCTV and have the closest ranger monitor it.
TexDefender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2019, 05:40 PM #34

I went there once because a guy at work asked me to

Guys there were doing so much stupid shit, shooting from the top behind and over everyone, shooting the baffles, shooting the backstop, shooting up in the air , if it wasn’t so sad it would have been funny in s morbid sort of way

Never went back to shoot there

NRA life member
Va ccw
Fla ccw
MSI
Old April 11th, 2019, 08:35 PM #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44man View Post
I went there once because a guy at work asked me to

Guys there were doing so much stupid shit, shooting from the top behind and over everyone, shooting the baffles, shooting the backstop, shooting up in the air , if it wasn’t so sad it would have been funny in s morbid sort of way

Never went back to shoot there
In the 50ish maybe 60ish times I have been there over the last 2 years I have not seen any of that occur. Worst I have seen were a few times someone with a shotgun shooting bird shot at the targets on their stands and absolutely destroying the stands. And a few times people toying with their (almost always unloaded, thankfully) guns when the range was "cold" and people were walking to reset their targets. (which usually ends up with them being admonished pretty swiftly and sternly)

Maybe I have just been lucky.
jamesp15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2019, 08:40 PM #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesp15 View Post
In the 50ish maybe 60ish times I have been there over the last 2 years I have not seen any of that occur. Worst I have seen were a few times someone with a shotgun shooting bird shot at the targets on their stands and absolutely destroying the stands. And a few times people toying with their (almost always unloaded, thankfully) guns when the range was "cold" and people were walking to reset their targets. (which usually ends up with them being admonished pretty swiftly and sternly)

Maybe I have just been lucky.
The baffles and stops ainít shooting them selves lol

NRA life member
Va ccw
Fla ccw
MSI
Old April 11th, 2019, 09:06 PM #37

Not saying it doesnt happen, but I have never seen people shooting from anywhere other than the firing line, nor into the air or the like. With the amount of damage people are clearly shooting the baffles at times, but I have never seen (or noticed) it being done while there.

I am sure a large part of it is probably people shooting pistols at an upward angle while seated and their targets set up high on the frames, or similar. That or their targets low on the frames and bouncing shots off the ground up into them.

And I am sure some of it is intentional, but I have yet to see that personally.

I have never really felt "unsafe" while there, there are some regulars who do a pretty good job of almost being stand-in RSO's, but even when they arent there most others are cordial/friendly and watch out for others. The only ones who bother me are the cowboys who come in and rapid fire constantly, not unsafely, but against the rules and annoying. (and im sure are one of the main culprits of the baffle destruction)
jamesp15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2019, 11:14 AM #38

There's no way those baffles are shot up "accidentally". It has to be intentional with that amount of destruction. I agree that some CCTV would be a good addition to that range. Maybe they will include that in the updates to the range.
NeutronBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2019, 12:37 PM #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesp15 View Post
Not saying it doesnt happen, but I have never seen people shooting from anywhere other than the firing line, nor into the air or the like. With the amount of damage people are clearly shooting the baffles at times, but I have never seen (or noticed) it being done while there.

I am sure a large part of it is probably people shooting pistols at an upward angle while seated and their targets set up high on the frames, or similar. That or their targets low on the frames and bouncing shots off the ground up into them.

And I am sure some of it is intentional, but I have yet to see that personally.

I have never really felt "unsafe" while there, there are some regulars who do a pretty good job of almost being stand-in RSO's, but even when they arent there most others are cordial/friendly and watch out for others. The only ones who bother me are the cowboys who come in and rapid fire constantly, not unsafely, but against the rules and annoying. (and im sure are one of the main culprits of the baffle destruction)

This.

Have only had two instances in the last 25 years where I grabbed my stuff and left. Have had to have The Talk a few times, and that usually works, except for one of the two instances I mentioned.

Most self police pretty well.
Had a young guy show up last year with an Enfield someone left him. Dont think he had ever fired a gun before. Had the gun and 20 rounds, that was it.

I gave him a target and some foam earplugs, someone else showed him how to operate the weapon.

Funny thing, just renewed fishing license online, printed it out and saw this:
Attached Images

DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2019, 01:34 PM #40

There is no real reason for them to be hit so many times in such short time frame.
I shoot one of the biggest guns you will see there and I dont hit the baffles with it. I am very careful how I shoot it. I also use my handguns to shoot objects on the burm and don't hit the baffles.. I get some hit the ground then bounce up and that can't be helped but to the ass hats that shoot the baffles just to shoot them or see if they can shoot trough them need to be ran out of there. I am not talking about the accidental one here and there.
For the example above I would have no issues teaching giving some targets foam ear plugs someone. if they came down with a new gun and actually willing to learn.
rickyp is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Maryland Regional Discussions > Southern Maryland