• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    I worry that if you sustain a loss, the insurer will claim you are not a collector and/or your firearms are not collectibles. I don't understand why that company is pigeonholing.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I looked in to all the options a couple years ago. I decided that a tiered approach was the best way for me. I have a rider policy on my homeowners for firearms that covers $5k. I figure that any time I go to the range I’m probably not taking more than that with me.

I chose not to do any additional insurance but to take that money and invest it in a nice safe and monitored security system. I live in Columbia so if the house catches fire or alarm goes off, there is going to be a quick response. Someone breaking into the house is going to smash and grab not bring tools to crack open a safe.

This approach allows me to get policies that I don’t have to provide a list of everything I have and assign values to each piece. If you don’t have this option with your homeowners insurance I believe that the NRA offers similar plans that can be a higher value than the max of 5k with my homeowners. I went with my insurance company because it only came out to be $20 more a year. We used to get 2.5k free with a NRA membership but that went away.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I worry that if you sustain a loss, the insurer will claim you are not a collector and/or your firearms are not collectibles. I don't understand why that company is pigeonholing.

There are plenty of testimonials of various gun forums where they paid out on claims.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    There are plenty of testimonials of various gun forums where they paid out on claims.

I just spoke to the fellow from Collectibles and learned a few things after getting my quote of $212 for $25,000.

1. This is a supplemental insurance policy - In other words, you are expected to make a claim against your homeowners insurance first, and then will pick up the difference. He said that they would cover your deductible, however you aren't going to be making any claims under your deductible amount.

3. Those who admit to being a competitive shooter (anyone who participates in some sort of competition) are charged an additional premium. In my case it was $12.

I think I will be sticking with my homeowners insurance. I do have to schedule, however the it is the most cost effective way to do it for me.

3. You are not covered in the case of a lost firearm. Of course this should never happen, however I am sure it does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom