• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    Myrtle Grove will be closed from April 22 to August 20.this is all summer we will not have a place to shoot. This was just closed a few years ago for several months supposed to be for repairs. But when done the place looked about the same with s few new boards put up. Now they are doing the same thing saying same thing but now during the time when it is used the most. It doesn't take 5 months to do the little work that needs to be done. They could build an entire new range in less time.

I am thinking something more is going on like maybe they trying to shut it down completely.

We all need to complain to them and at least make them wait until November to do the majority of the repairs. They can close down for a few days and make emergency repairs if things are not safe but not the entire summer and still not have much if anything new.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    IIRC, the big issue is that they have to ensure that the baffles prevent stray shots and ricochets from exiting the pit that the range is situated in. That involves tests, 3D modeling, studies, etc. etc. etc. before it can be certified to re-open. Mind you, none of this would be an issue if people would stop shooting the baffles. I've been down there enough times and seen enough idiots doing stupid things to steer clear anymore.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    If this range was not already in operation for 40 some years I would agree with what you say. But the baffles design has not changed the hole it is in has not changed. . I have watched it get redone a lot if times and nothing had really everbern done to it. there is no need for it to be closed for 5 months and during the summer when it is used the most.
    They could build several brand new ranges like m.g. in that same time frane. There is more going on here them we can see.
    We all need to call them and urge them to postpone the repairs. I was down there not long ago and the baffles where not unsafe or in need of major repairs..

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    Many years ago when I used to go there, the range guy, I forgot his name, I think it was Dan, told me they were having problems with a new community or communities in the area that wanted the range shut down. This was about 10 to 15 years ago so the info might not be accurate but maybe it’s being phased out

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    As I posted in the other MG thread, going to take an organized, concerted effort to demand, via political pressure, public range expansion in MD. Got some ideas, hope to start putting something together in a few months.
    For the children....

Dirty_Civilian

Apr 12, 2018
    Here
    I remember reading last year that property was purchased to expand the area. I found the article but I don't know how to post the link.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    So are there any other "open to the public" ranges in the SOMD area? Are they going to refund my money paid for a yearly permit? :mad54:

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    So are there any other "open to the public" ranges in the SOMD area? Are they going to refund my money paid for a yearly permit? :mad54:
    No there isn't anyone public ranged in southern me m.g. is the only one that includes parts of VA like King George. This is why we need to act now.

As to your money that is gone now you will not get any of it back. Another reason to contact them and have them postpone the closing.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    Funny thing just happened. Yesterday I sent a very nice email to Larry Hogan office about it closing and letting them know it is the only range for 1/2 of the state and the only other public range is elk neck in Western me and asking him to help and postpone it until the time they normally close in November. I was polite not say anything bad or could even be taken as bad.monlymasking him to get involved and postpone the closing.

Just now I get a call from Maryland state police. It seemed my email was forwarded to them for review. The trouper left a very nice message for me and was polite saying this was not a police matter and to call end when he even looked up the toll free number so for me
    My issue now is that I sent a very nice email to Larry Hogan office asking for help and they sent it tongue police like I was a threat to them. I guess because I mentioned guns/ shooting the didn't like it.

Please everyone take a few minutes to send a nice letter to end and Larry Hogan. I doubt dnr will do many things unless the get pressure from up above and we need to put pressure on them.

Only ask to postpone the major repairs untill
    November when they normally close and only make emergency repairs for now.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Probably better off sending the letter to david.heilmeier@maryland.gov as he is the Southern regional manager that oversees Myrtle Grove. I don't think Hogan's office will do anything other than maybe forwarding your e-mail to Mr. Heilmeier if that.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I will send him an email as well. We all need to become a squeaky wheel. If we don't we could end up losing the range all together.

I have heard that the ones that run Myrtle Grove really don't want the range open to begin with. If we don't raise a fuss when they close down for so called repairs then they can go to the state and say few years ago the range was shut down for 3 months no one said anything then we just closed it again for 5 months and no one said anything, that means the range isn't needed.
    The last time it was closed for like 3 months during the winter nothing much was done that justify it being closed so long now they want to do the same thing but longer and during the time it will be used the most. Something isn't adding up.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Yes, the more e-mails and phone calls about this absurd closing the better. Everyone, please help us out with this.

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    Was there today and was almost hit by a piece of the second baffle in when it fell down, a good 2.5 to 3 ft long piece of 2x8. Some of those baffles really are in bad shape.

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    Probably better off sending the letter to david.heilmeier@maryland.gov as he is the Southern regional manager that oversees Myrtle Grove. I don't think Hogan's office will do anything other than maybe forwarding your e-mail to Mr. Heilmeier if that.

If work is to be done in house, this effort may help.
    If it was bid out, not stopping it now.

But the lack of public ranges in MD IS an issue.
    And getting worse.

So even if we were not being subjected to yet another closure, we still need more public ranges.
    And expanding existing ranges may be easier, for starters.

In 4 months, could add 4 25 yd pistol lanes, only need a few baffles.

As far as new ranges, Salem tract in St Marys co has possibilities.
    Or WMAs in western Charles.
    Or any shutterred landfill, Appeal in Calvert was being used by sheriffs office.

May I suggest starting at the top and hitting everyone?
    Email and written/ mailed.

Gov Hogan
    DNR's brand new secretary, Jeannie Haddaway- Riccio.
    DNR's Paul.Peditto
    Dave Heilmeier

Charles county' s newly elected Senator Ellis
    St Mary' Senator Jack Bailey, who recently retired from DNR.
    Charles county delegates..

Pittman Robertson funds may be available.

OldNavyVet

Mar 1, 2018
    Charles County
    Received the following message from DNR. I am not sure anything can be done at this point other than put together a plan of action to see if we can have more input and say in the future. I currenty do not shoot there but if others in the area want to get together to see what we can come up with...I am willing. Do we have a Southern Maryland sub forum that is active that I don't know about? Also Diving Driver, is this something that the PP captain can get involved with? Please let me know.

Hello Mr. Old Navy Vet

Thank you for your interest in the Myrtle Grove Shooting Range and your email.

As you note the Myrtle Grove Shooting Range will be closed for a period of up to four months for repairs and renovations. In this round of Range repairs we are replacing the remaining wooden baffle structures as well as making improvements to the shooting tables / benches and shooting platform area. In conducting these repair projects we work with the DNR Engineering and Construction Unit as well as Dept. of General Services to facilitate the project. In doing so the range repair project was placed on the State procurement / bid system to contractors and the closure period was announced with as much advance notice as possible to the public. Unfortunately with the number of Units and Agencies involved and with the State procurement process / bid system we must employ we have no control over the timing of the shutdown of the Range for repairs.

I would like to apologize for any inconvenience this project causes you but ask for your understanding that the scheduled Range project is necessary for the life span and quality of the facility. In future years please feel free to call the Myrtle Grove Office (301-743-5161) prior to purchasing your range permit to check on the status of the range.

Sincerely,

Dave Heilmeier

dnr.maryland.gov

David Heilmeier

Southern Region Manager

Wildlife and Heritage Service

Department of Natural Resources

5625 Myrtle Grove Rd.

LaPlata, MD 20646

(301) 743-5161

david.heilmeier@maryland.gov

Users who are viewing this thread